Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default Need advice on installing a pre-hung door.

On Oct 7, 11:08*am, sid wrote:
I plan to install a door this weekend into an opening the correct
width. The plan is to stain and varnish the door.

1. Should I install the door and then take the door off and lay it on
carpeted saw-horses and then sand, stain, seal, varnish ?

2. Sand, stain, seal, varnish and then try to install ?

The hardware is polished brass, I want antique, brass. *How hard is it
to change the hardware ?

Thanks

I completely hang the doors first, then remove and stain/seal the door
slab on saw horses, then putty/sand/stain/seal the installed jambs.
Never stain/seal the whole door slab while it is verticle, or you'll
get drip marks. Hardware is pretty easy to change out, bring one of
the hinges to the store and match it up size-wise as best you can.
The knob is standard, so any knob will fit.