Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Need advice on installing a pre-hung door.

On Oct 7, 4:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
sid wrote:
On Oct 7, 11:22 am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

I plan to install a door this weekend into an opening the correct
width. The plan is to stain and varnish the door.

1. Should I install the door and then take the door off and lay it
on carpeted saw-horses and then sand, stain, seal, varnish ?

2. Sand, stain, seal, varnish and then try to install ?

The hardware is polished brass, I want antique, brass. How hard is
it to change the hardware ?

Thanks

You're talking about an outside door? I'll assume so....

Your decision but I'd install and finish it. That way you can do
both sides at once. If your weather conditions outside don't allow
that, I'd finish it inside then install. We get some dry wind-free
days here that I wouldn't hesitate to do the job outside. But in
windy areas I wouldn't chance it

Changing door hardware is as easy as it looks. If you can't change
door hardware you really should have a pro install your jamb.

Sorry I did not mention that this is an interior door.
If I plan to comeback and install Pergo flooring, should I install the
jam and set it on the floor, leave the moldings off and then cut them
to fit on top of the finished floor ?

It's not just the moldings - you'll have to cut the jambs too.

Go ahead and install the door (with moldings). When you're ready for the
floor, cut everything to size with a Multifunction tool.- Hide quoted text -

You don't *need* a mulifunction tool, especially if you're only
hanging 1 door.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...g-233657/view/