Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3" Stanley belt sander

I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Harry wrote:

I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new
belt #MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in
great working condition. Thank-you.

A quick search on the internet makes it look like other people who have
searched for this had trouble finding one. You might be in for the search
of a lifetime...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Harry wrote in
oups.com:

I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new
belt #MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in
great working condition. Thank-you.

Harry

I did some quick looking myself, and will confirm Mike Marlow's results.
You may be able to find a generic belt (or even a large O-ring) or modify
something to make it work. It might be possible to splice a belt to fit.

I have a feeling the best guys to ask are machinists. The group over at
the Home Shop Machinist BBS, http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php ,
has a few members who regularly build neat things with belts and pulleys.
(Post in the General forum--the Helping Hand forum doesn't see much
traffic.) You may also want to post at Practical Machinist. (I can't
tell you anything about that site other than I've read many useful
threads there.)

The other approach that comes to mind is to contact a belt supplier to
see if they have a compatible belt. I know Taig uses Gates belts on
their tools, so that might be a place to start.

Speaking of Taig and belts... They use a rubber band to drive the lathe
power feed. I saved the rubber bands from the packaging as "spare
belts" and have used a couple of them. It wouldn't be a permanent
solution, but it might get things going again.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are several companies that make tons of belts and many custom ones.

Try these guys - long time vendor to this place.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/abrasive-belts/

It would be best to know the width and length. That helps in the
search. Forget the model number - just size of belt.

Martin

On 5/25/2015 4:44 PM, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/25/2015 9:35 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Try these guys - long time vendor to this place.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/abrasive-belts/

OP's looking for a drive belt for the machine, _not_ sanding/abrasive
belts...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:44:04 PM UTC-5, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

--

Send these guys an email, with as much detailed info (and pics, if you can), as possible. http://www.beltsforanything.com/site1.php

A time or two, they've done the impossible for me, as for a having a replacement belt. They have reference books for matching belts, for having the right belt or an appropriate replacement belt.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2015 4:44 PM, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

Google sand paper manufacturers, many will custom make a size for you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-4, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

--

I'm not specifically recommending this Harbor Freight belt, just suggesting an adjustable link belt such as the one shown he

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/26/2015 12:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-4, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

--

I'm not specifically recommending this Harbor Freight belt, just
suggesting an adjustable link belt such as the one shown he

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html

Won't cut it; they're a flat, toothed belt like a small automotive
timing belt...no idea on where to find replacements of such in any
specific length.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 2:05:37 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 05/26/2015 12:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-4, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

--

I'm not specifically recommending this Harbor Freight belt, just
suggesting an adjustable link belt such as the one shown he

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html

Won't cut it; they're a flat, toothed belt like a small automotive
timing belt...no idea on where to find replacements of such in any
specific length.

How about McMaster-Carr? Hundreds (?) of timing belt choices.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belts/=xcnwwo

There are a couple of suggestions for splicing toothed belts in this thread. None of them look very promising, but it might give the OP some ideas. I have no clue if 50% of the original strength is enough to run the sander:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...215657a4e7df96

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-4, Harry wrote:
I own an old 3" Stanley belt sander Model # H-31 A, and I need a new belt
#MS1774. Can anyone help me find a supplier. Sander is in great working
condition. Thank-you.

Harry

--

You could see if McMaster-Carr has one based on your dimensions (width and outer circle)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belts/=xcpeg3
Posted to rec.woodworking

Relax!

Go to the Auto place with your belt. Let them measure it. The have
books of belts - pages of them they ignore.

I have done that on Sealed Bearings - Not the wheel size but Disk Drive
size! I bought a box load and they were happy for another sale.

If not there - see if there is a 'rubber gasket' company near. They
can make them or find them. Rubber is their business.

Likely found at other industrial suppliers as well. I have one on my
engraver - tooth grippers. I run flat pulleys.

Martin