Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Kitchen Refresh #3, 2015

Almost toast, at the beginning of this holiday weekend.

We worked this morning, and will work Monday, in order to finish up
before the client gets back from their 2015 Memorial Day holiday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...BaylandKitchen

In the historic Museum District of Houston, and due to age, this was
another toughie, among a string of toughies.

Cabinets were so out of level and un-square that the only logical thing
to do was to take them 'to-the-studs', a luxury we didn't have.

... the mother of all imperfect spaces, seeking perfection.

The two of us gave it a helluva try...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 8:49:18 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
Almost toast, at the beginning of this holiday weekend.

We worked this morning, and will work Monday, in order to finish up
before the client gets back from their 2015 Memorial Day holiday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...BaylandKitchen

In the historic Museum District of Houston, and due to age, this was
another toughie, among a string of toughies.

Cabinets were so out of level and un-square that the only logical thing
to do was to take them 'to-the-studs', a luxury we didn't have.

... the mother of all imperfect spaces, seeking perfection.

The two of us gave it a helluva try...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Looks fantastic, as usual. Relax and enjoy tomorrow. The crookedness will be there on Monday whether you think about or not, so there's no sense in worrying about it on Sunday.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Almost toast, at the beginning of this holiday weekend.

We worked this morning, and will work Monday, in order to finish up
before the client gets back from their 2015 Memorial Day holiday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...BaylandKitchen

In the historic Museum District of Houston, and due to age, this was
another toughie, among a string of toughies.

Cabinets were so out of level and un-square that the only logical
thing to do was to take them 'to-the-studs', a luxury we didn't have.

... the mother of all imperfect spaces, seeking perfection.

The two of us gave it a helluva try...

Looks like your helluva try served you well. The pictures look good. I'd
have probably settled for something less perfect, myself. Good job.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Almost toast, at the beginning of this holiday weekend.

We worked this morning, and will work Monday, in order to finish up
before the client gets back from their 2015 Memorial Day holiday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...BaylandKitchen

I'm sure the customer will be completely satisfied! Sharp!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2015 8:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
Almost toast, at the beginning of this holiday weekend.

We worked this morning, and will work Monday, in order to finish up
before the client gets back from their 2015 Memorial Day holiday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...BaylandKitchen

In the historic Museum District of Houston, and due to age, this was
another toughie, among a string of toughies.

Cabinets were so out of level and un-square that the only logical thing
to do was to take them 'to-the-studs', a luxury we didn't have.

... the mother of all imperfect spaces, seeking perfection.

The two of us gave it a helluva try...

Nice job as usual.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Finally get to make a quick trip to the wreck!

Karl... I have to say that it looked like there was going to be "too much cabinetry" (channel "Mozart"!) when I looked at your shop drawing rendition. But the colors and design are so well done that the kitchen looks very sleek and efficient. Sure didn't look like there was a lot of room to work in. Great job, as always.

A couple of questions, though. What did you use for counter top material? It almost looked like Corian, which has been out of vogue for the most part here for some time.

Also, I was looking at the lighting and wondered if those new curved fixtures were LED or halogen. Did you pick them out? I just finished up a kitchen overhaul where I was tasked with picking fixtures and had some real lighting challenges. Being a fan of light, I wound up with three different colors of white, from low Kelvin to high. It took some adjustment on my part and changing out my original selections but got it where I wanted it in the end.

Care to comment on your lighting? What is the ceiling height in the kitchen?

Again, really nice work. I think one of the things I really like about your designs is how clean they look, how efficient they are, and the color selects that lend themselves to easy accessorizing.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/2015 1:01 PM, wrote:
Finally get to make a quick trip to the wreck!

Karl... I have to say that it looked like there was going to be "too much cabinetry" (channel "Mozart"!) when I looked at your shop drawing rendition. But the colors and design are so well done that the kitchen looks very sleek and efficient. Sure didn't look like there was a lot of room to work in. Great job, as always.

Thanks, Robert. Nothing plumb, square, level about the entire existing
kitchen ... one of the worst I've ever seen, from floor to ceiling.

A couple of questions, though. What did you use for counter top material? It almost looked like Corian, which has been out of vogue for the most part here for some time.

5cm Quartz.

Also, I was looking at the lighting and wondered if those new curved fixtures were LED or halogen. Did you pick them out? I just finished up a kitchen overhaul where I was tasked with picking fixtures and had some real lighting challenges. Being a fan of light, I wound up with three different colors of white, from low Kelvin to high. It took some adjustment on my part and changing out my original selections but got it where I wanted it in the end.

Care to comment on your lighting? What is the ceiling height in the kitchen?

We used the same ceiling lighting (halogen) that the client had recently
bought for the kitchen. Had to reposition slightly, but other than that,
we just removed, then reinstalled after drywall repairs and painting.

We did add UCL and Pantry lighing (all LED).

Again, really nice work. I think one of the things I really like about your designs is how clean they look, how efficient they are, and the color selects that lend themselves to easy accessorizing.

I insist on proper structural integrity, along with added functionality
to make the effort worthwhile; then rely on them to direct me in
designing/doing whatever it takes to get the look and feel they desire.

Been known to throw in a drawer or two, or a pullout, as lagniappe, just
to make me feel better that we added some modern functionality ...
otherwise why do it?