Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood selection for vise face

putting new faces over the cast iron vise

going to use some maple i have but i was looking at the oak only
because it is so tough

the maple is not hard maple but it is also not soft
it is just right and i think it is one of those case where you just
happen to have the perfect pieces lying around
in other words i got lucky

what do you have on your vise faces

Posted to rec.woodworking

Want some give and compression - the whole idea is to protect
and hold in a vise.

I have a gun vice that has inserts that carry foam rubber (high density
closed cell) and the other side is AL.

Depends on what you hold and how hard.

Martin

On 5/16/2015 10:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

putting new faces over the cast iron vise

going to use some maple i have but i was looking at the oak only
because it is so tough

the maple is not hard maple but it is also not soft
it is just right and i think it is one of those case where you just
happen to have the perfect pieces lying around
in other words i got lucky

what do you have on your vise faces

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice and hard, flat surface. But crushes soft or irregular items.
Martin

In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

what do you have on your vise faces

Birch

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

what do you have on your vise faces

Birch

Beech and white oak. The beech is the wood I prefer.. tight grain, and
nice to work.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

what do you have on your vise faces

Birch

Beech and white oak. The beech is the wood I prefer.. tight grain, and
nice to work.

+1
I have English beech and oak on mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 00:05:09 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Want some give and compression - the whole idea is to protect
and hold in a vise.

yep why I chose something not too hard so it would not mar the wood
i am working on

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 May 2015 19:02:08 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

Beech and white oak. The beech is the wood I prefer.. tight grain,

you know beech is a good idea i might try that

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2015 14:40:06 +0100
"Nick" wrote:

I have English beech and oak on mine.

which side gets which
i never thought about mixing species

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nick" wrote:

I have English beech and oak on mine.

which side gets which
i never thought about mixing species

It's not so much which side gets which, as it is the age of each piece which
is important. The English beech must be 7 years old on the stump, and
dropped for not more than 6 months before being milled to its purpose. the
oak on the other hand must be 11 years old on the stump, but can be longer -
perhaps up to 19 months before being milled to its purpose. It is also
important that each are milled at the same time and put into application at
the same time, to avoid undesired effects. Great volumes could probably be
written on this topic - if anyone really cared...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nick" wrote:

I have English beech and oak on mine.

which side gets which
i never thought about mixing species

It's not so much which side gets which, as it is the age of each
piece which is important. The English beech must be 7 years old on
the stump, and dropped for not more than 6 months before being
milled to its purpose. the oak on the other hand must be 11 years
old on the stump, but can be longer - perhaps up to 19 months before
being milled to its purpose. It is also important that each are
milled at the same time and put into application at the same time,
to avoid undesired effects. Great volumes could probably be written
on this topic - if anyone really cared...

Shirley, you jest.

Don't call me Shirley!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

what do you have on your vise faces

Red oak. Entire workbench is made from red oak. Never thought about the softness of the vise face wood and how it might mar the wood being held. I don't work with balsa wood and cork. I do use some intelligence when turning the vise handles to tighten the vise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 May 2015 07:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

what do you have on your vise faces

Red oak. Entire workbench is made from red oak. Never thought about

red oak is nice choice

the softness of the vise face wood and how it might mar the wood
being held. I don't work with balsa wood and cork. I do use some
intelligence when turning the vise handles to tighten the vise.

i also do not work with blasa or cork
i have worked with cork oak

it depends on what is in the vice
on occasion i have curvy things that go into the vice and i want to
minimize additional sanding
i keep some leaather around to protect them too

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nick" wrote:

I have English beech and oak on mine.

which side gets which
i never thought about mixing species

It's not so much which side gets which, as it is the age of each
piece which is important. The English beech must be 7 years old on
the stump, and dropped for not more than 6 months before being
milled to its purpose. the oak on the other hand must be 11 years
old on the stump, but can be longer - perhaps up to 19 months before
being milled to its purpose. It is also important that each are
milled at the same time and put into application at the same time,
to avoid undesired effects. Great volumes could probably be written
on this topic - if anyone really cared...

Shirley, you jest.

Don't call me Shirley!

RIP, Leslie Nielson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA