Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pewaukee, Wisconsin Woodworker's Store

Years ago... Thinking back to the mid-to-late 1980's there was a
woodworker's store in the Town of Pewaukee, Wisconsin.

Another woodbutcher and myself are wracking our brains trying to recall
the name of the place. All I know is that it was in Pewaukee and it was
NOT one of the chains like Woodcraft or Rockler's.

I know there a few sawdust makers in the southeastern Wisconsin area.
Anyone recall the name? Better yet, do you know if it's still in business?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in
:

Years ago... Thinking back to the mid-to-late 1980's there was a
woodworker's store in the Town of Pewaukee, Wisconsin.

Another woodbutcher and myself are wracking our brains trying to
recall the name of the place. All I know is that it was in Pewaukee
and it was NOT one of the chains like Woodcraft or Rockler's.

I know there a few sawdust makers in the southeastern Wisconsin area.
Anyone recall the name? Better yet, do you know if it's still in
business?

I've often had some success with searching for "[business category] [town
name]". http://www.yellowpages.com/pewaukee-wi/woodworking shows three
locations that mention Pewaukee: His Panel, Nienow Woodworks, Hargrove &
Sons Gift Factory. That Hargrove & Sons seems to go by the name
Myrtlewood as well.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/5/2015 5:18 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Puckdropper but none of them ring the bell. It's one of those
times (alas, too many, too often) where it's on the tip of my tongue or
brain (such as it is) and I (we) just can't dredge it up.

Hopefully, someone with a better memory than I will recall it and give a
shout out. Like obscenity, I'll know it when I see itg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/5/2015 8:44 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I remember the shop, but I cannot remember the name. Bought a set of Marples chisles there and a nice rosewood handled square (all still in use) in the early '80s. The missing name is going to haunt me and I will post when it comes to me.
I think I also bought a bunch of paduak there for a bedroom set I built. Do you live in the area?

I'm a "flatlander" living about 15 minutes south of Lake Geneva. My
buddy just "discovered" Neu's Hardware in Menomonee Falls and has this
huge tool jones. Wants to do a "field trip."

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused writes:
On 5/5/2015 8:44 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I remember the shop, but I cannot remember the name. Bought a set of Marples chisles there and a nice rosewood handled square (all still in use) in the early '80s. The missing name is going to haunt me and I will post when it comes to me.
I think I also bought a bunch of paduak there for a bedroom set I built. Do you live in the area?

I'm a "flatlander" living about 15 minutes south of Lake Geneva. My
buddy just "discovered" Neu's Hardware in Menomonee Falls and has this
huge tool jones. Wants to do a "field trip."

There used to be (and perhaps still is) an antique tool place
in Genoa (between La Crosse and Prairie Du Chein) that had a
very nice collection of Stanley planes and other old tools.

Worth a stop in when you're on highway 35.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2015 8:25 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Unquestionably Confused writes:
On 5/5/2015 8:44 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I remember the shop, but I cannot remember the name. Bought a set of Marples chisles there and a nice rosewood handled square (all still in use) in the early '80s. The missing name is going to haunt me and I will post when it comes to me.
I think I also bought a bunch of paduak there for a bedroom set I built. Do you live in the area?

I'm a "flatlander" living about 15 minutes south of Lake Geneva. My
buddy just "discovered" Neu's Hardware in Menomonee Falls and has this
huge tool jones. Wants to do a "field trip."

There used to be (and perhaps still is) an antique tool place
in Genoa (between La Crosse and Prairie Du Chein) that had a
very nice collection of Stanley planes and other old tools.

Worth a stop in when you're on highway 35.

Thanks. We get up that way (actually drive through Genoa) once a year
in October as we travel the Great River Road up to LaCrosse for the Fall
Color Run.

I don't recall ever seeing it (and lord knows Genoa is not much more
than a wide spot in the road.)

Is/was it right on the highway or off on a side street?

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Not Octoberfest? I remember the old HAMMs silos near
gunderson from the old days.

I don't recall ever seeing it (and lord knows Genoa is not much more
than a wide spot in the road.)

Is/was it right on the highway or off on a side street?

It's on Main street, a block off 35, at the south
end of main street, between swan and eagle;
across the river from the old nuke plant.

The guy that used to run it reminded me of Wilford Brimley. I
think his son had taken over the shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2015 10:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[snip]
Thanks. We get up that way (actually drive through Genoa) once a year
in October as we travel the Great River Road up to LaCrosse for the Fall
Color Run.

Not Octoberfest? I remember the old HAMMs silos near
gunderson from the old days.

Nope, the Corvette Club of Minnesota sponsors an annual Fall Color Run
over Columbus Day weekend. Depending on the weather, anywhere from 225
to 350 Corvettes will roll out of the park in Onalaska for a somewhat
leisurely (we try at least) ride through the Wisconsin hills. Amazing
how many folks along the route set up chairs to watch. Almost like a
parade. Fun watching the Amish kids standing by the road drooling with
"auto wood" in their overallsg

Not Hamm's, they were based in St Paul, MN. The one in La Crosse was G.
Heileman's Old Style Brewery. Their label was bought out and the plant
taken over by City Brewing Company quite a few years ago. Never knew
it, but when a beer, such as Old Style, is sold to another company, the
primary object of sale is the label and goodwill. What you wind up
drinking under the new ownership may be totally different under the new
owner or it may be the same.

The "World's Largest Six Pack" is still there.

I don't recall ever seeing it (and lord knows Genoa is not much more
than a wide spot in the road.)

Is/was it right on the highway or off on a side street?

It's on Main street, a block off 35, at the south
end of main street, between swan and eagle;
across the river from the old nuke plant.

That explains why I never spotted it going through "town." I will look
for it this next trip through. Have already put the info and reminder
in my calendar for this year. Thanks again!

The guy that used to run it reminded me of Wilford Brimley. I
think his son had taken over the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Ah yes, Heileman's. It's been about 40 years since I regularly
went through La Crosse, and was too young to drink then. We had
a Walters brewery in Eau Claire, and Leinenkugel's in chippewa falls.

That explains why I never spotted it going through "town." I will look
for it this next trip through. Have already put the info and reminder
in my calendar for this year. Thanks again!

It's been five or six years since I last stopped in there (folks
have a log cabin near Ferryville); hope the tool store is still there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Years ago... Thinking back to the mid-to-late 1980's there was a
woodworker's store in the Town of Pewaukee, Wisconsin.

Another woodbutcher and myself are wracking our brains trying to recall
the name of the place. All I know is that it was in Pewaukee and it was
NOT one of the chains like Woodcraft or Rockler's.

I know there a few sawdust makers in the southeastern Wisconsin areaI think it wa Punkin .
Anyone recall the name? Better yet, do you know if it's still in business?

I think that was Punkin Hollow. Long gone.

Jim