Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Drill Press to match to a Delta Mortising attachment

Came across a great deal on a delta mortising attachment and bits. I'm
looking for a drill press now. Does anyone know if the attachment can be
used on any other brand of drill press besides delta? I have no idea
about matching anything up or requirements to match the chuck, etc. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

The ring (split) that attaches to the Quill ? just above the spindle is
sized to fit a delta. See what it can fit - and you can likely have
enough room - see if height is ok and if the chuck can reach the drill.

Martin

On 4/30/2015 3:44 PM, Gene wrote:
Came across a great deal on a delta mortising attachment and bits. I'm
looking for a drill press now. Does anyone know if the attachment can be
used on any other brand of drill press besides delta? I have no idea
about matching anything up or requirements to match the chuck, etc. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Martin Eastburn , Gene wrote:
lionslair wrote:

The ring (split) that attaches to the Quill ? just above the spindle is
sized to fit a delta. See what it can fit - and you can likely have
enough room - see if height is ok and if the chuck can reach the drill.
Martin

Thanks Martin. The mortise attachment kit comes with 3 different sized
split rings. The instructions say they are able to fit to the 12, 14. 15
& 32 inch Delta drill presses. They appear to be oval shaped, ranging in
internal diameter of 36x39mm, 43x46mm and 48x50mm. A friend of mine has
an 8" craftsman DP, so I measured the quill on it and it was 38mm but
round.

Now I'm wondering if the oval shape is unique to delta quills? If so, I
think I will be stuck buying a delta (not that delta is a bad DP, to the
contrary) just wanted more price options if I could match the rings to
other brand quills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The oval shape says it will attach to two sides and not all around.
Simply giving more room to make sure a good pinch hold is done.

This has to fit over the top of the chuck if the chuck is used.
Dad's had a special wood spindle he put in that had two screws in it
to hold the drill with.

Baring that, the flat is aligned with a hole in the chuck. The key
hole. Which means the chuck faces touch the round part of the drill.

Martin

lionslair wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gene: Buy it Now!
I have a Chinese press in FL and a a Rigid in NC and my Delta kit fits just fine on either. It (a regular/full) kit is supplied with a set of split rings to allow attaching to various drill presses.

Next time you find a Brand Name Find, try googling for the owner's manuals first. Often they will readily answer such questions as you pose - and with specificity.