Posted to rec.woodworking

Default William Alden

On Tuesday, May 30, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
All considering placing an order with William
Alden or their related websites should be advised
that the company is on the verge of filing
bankruptcy. Right now they have served their
vendors with notice that they are in financial
trouble, and urge them to accept an offer of 30
cents on the dollar for the amounts owed.
Otherwise the company will have to go forward
with filing bankruptcy and you may get nothing.

They also advised that they have sold their
building and are renting it back from the
purchaser to continue operations, They have
provided this half ass accounting of where all
the proceeds from the sale went, claiming none
went to family who owns the company.

Bottom line - Most all vendors will not ship to
them, even C.O.D. If you are promised we will
getting more in soon, this is a most likely a
lie. Support a business that conducts itself in a
professional manor, charging a fair price for a
product.

All business, Internet or otherwise need to make
a certain profit on all the items they sell to
stay in business. If a company has an abnormally
low price they are most likely operating on too
thin a margin. Eventually this will catch up with
them. What results is re-organization or
bankruptcy. Manufacturers deal with this problem
by raising the prices to all. Support a business
that charges a fair price for a product (not
list, but not the cheapest). You may be presently
surprised that you will also find better then
normal service from this business, as they can
afford to employ a better caliber of employee.

Another who is following down the same road as
William Alden is Amazon.com (Tool Crib of the
North). They took over Tool Crib a while back.
Now many vendors in the tool industry have them
on a credit hold as they are seriously past due
with amounts owed.. Looking at the fact that
Amazon.com has never made a profit is this really
a surprise.

For you cheap ass bargain hunters out there,
William Alden claims to be having a Huge
Inventory Reduction Sale, offering 10% off their
normal prices and free shipping. Based on the
fact they only want to pay the manufacture 30
cents on the dollar, who is really getting the
better deal on the sale? And the free shipping, I
am sure they plan to stick the shipping companies
with a large tab.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

In hindsight, I really, really regret dumping my amazon.com stock in a panicked response to Bob's expert insight back in 2000. BTW, anyone know what happened to William Alden?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 7:39:12 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 9:49:49 AM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
wrote in
:

BTW, anyone
know what happened to William Alden?

Got curious and Googled it. Unfortunately, it seems there is
a writer for the financial press named "William Alden", and
searching for "William Alden Bankruptcy" just returns dozens
of articles he's written on various other struggling firms.

John

DAGS on

william alden tool co

There's not a lot of information about the company itself, but there are a few hits from other forums mentioning the name. Some note that was a catalog company based in Boston MA. It may have had a website for a while, but the link no longer takes you to a "real" website.

This site...

http://members.core.com/~nieling/wood/tools.htm

shows that the website used to be...

http://www.lowpricetools.com/

Posts in other forums simply ask if anyone knows what happened to the company.

I'm not sure if this URL will work for everyone, but for me it shows an apparently vacant building at the address I found listed for the William Alden Co.

Since I can't find any real information on the company itself, it's hard to say if it's been vacant since they went out of business or if it has had subsequent tenants.

http://tinyurl.com/WmAldenToolBldg

The William Alden Co.
27 Stuart St.
Boston, MA 02116
(800) 249-8665

The URL listed for the company doesn't really work:

http://www.williamalden.com/

PING william sommerwerck lurk[_3_] Electronics Repair 0 January 25th 11 04:15 PM
The William cooktop Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 24 August 30th 10 12:16 AM
William Shakespeare avtar Woodworking 3 December 21st 06 03:40 AM
William Shakespeare [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 19th 06 11:05 AM
Ping: William B. Noble Prometheus Woodturning 14 May 23rd 06 10:22 PM