Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angled joist hangers?

Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/15 5:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at
his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know
of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging
of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are
45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

Search for adjustable SKEW joist hangers.
The Simpson code is LSSU

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 6:50:59 PM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmmpqB7vbtI
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are, and yes, Simpson Strong Tie
Has them. Also, there is a lot of surface area for nail, screw our lag
attachment.
Some use pressure blocking also, in lieu of joist hangers, although in a wet
location, they tend to trap moisture over time, and can cause rot.
Some joist hangers come with an ability to free-scew......I know that sounds
a bit odd.....
john

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message

Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his
northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a
manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a
non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree
hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at
his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

A trapazoid with 5 sides(?). Don't go confusing this matter with
explanations that trapazoids only have 4 sides. I'm doing my best to keep
up...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2015 6:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/8/15 5:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at
his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know
of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging
of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are
45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

Search for adjustable SKEW joist hangers.
The Simpson code is LSSU

And if you have an iPad or iPhone Simpson has a free app listing their
products and their specs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2015 8:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his
northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

I'm guessing a square or rectangle with one corner cut at an angle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 4/9/2015 8:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his
northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

I'm guessing a square or rectangle with one corner cut at an angle.

So,mathematically,
a 5-sided trapezoid = parallelogram - triangle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2015 2:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 4/9/2015 8:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his
northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

I'm guessing a square or rectangle with one corner cut at an angle.

So,mathematically,
a 5-sided trapezoid = parallelogram - triangle.

Well, leaving aside the "5-sided Trapezoid" bit, a parallelogram minus
a triangle could yield a triangle, a trapezoid (4 sided, naturally) a
pentagon (irregular) or a six-sided figure with a concave section.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/9/2015 2:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 4/9/2015 8:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at
his
northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

I'm guessing a square or rectangle with one corner cut at an angle.

So,mathematically,
a 5-sided trapezoid = parallelogram - triangle.

Well, leaving aside the "5-sided Trapezoid" bit,

You can't leave that off! : )

a parallelogram minus a triangle could yield a triangle, a trapezoid
(4 sided, naturally) a pentagon (irregular) or a six-sided figure with
a concave section.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:50 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at
his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid.

I'm of no help with joist hangers, but could you explain what shape a
"five-sided trapezoid" is?

A trapazoid with 5 sides(?). Don't go confusing this matter with
explanations that trapazoids only have 4 sides. I'm doing my best to
keep up...

They're using them in the NHL now. Behind the net, there's two lines
that define the trapezoid. Four sides, plus one big downside: If a
goaltender plays the puck behind the icing line and outside the trapezoid
it's a minor penalty.

What it has to do with joist hangers, I don't know...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

OK, my bad ... it's been 60+ years since HS geometry. The shape of this section of the deck actually has six sides. Think of a corporal's strips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

OK, my bad ... it's been 60+ years since HS geometry. The shape of this section of the deck actually has six sides. Think of a corporal's strips.

If he strips in public he may lose a stripe.

--
 GW Ross

 A moment's insight is sometimes worth
 a life's experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

OK, my bad ... it's been 60+ years since HS geometry. The shape of this section of the deck actually has six sides. Think of a corporal's strips.

The old house where I grew up was built in about 1920. They did not
have hangers, but a ledge was nailed on and the joists were cut out to
sit on the ledge then toenailed or through nailed.

--
 GW Ross

 A moment's insight is sometimes worth
 a life's experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2015 10:49 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Number 1 son has drafted me to help build a pretty sizable deck at his northwoods cabin. The deck is a 5-sided trapezoid. Anyone know of a manufacturer of joist hangers that can accommodate the hanging of a non-perpendicular joist? Google has led me to believe there are 45 degree hangers, but his requirements are closer to 20-30 degrees.

Larry

OK, my bad ... it's been 60+ years since HS geometry. The shape of this section of the deck actually has six sides. Think of a corporal's strips.

LOL I think geometry is a bit past counting. ;~) 5 sides vs. 6 sides

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take from an old house framer...

Simpson makes fantastic framing and structural aids; the piece shown in the video and its application are unsuitable for a weight bearing member. Probably fine for a light weight roof structure application, but as a former FHA inspector, I certainly wouldn't pass it as a floor joist.

First, the cut on the joist should be a cheek cut so that when installed the face of the joist is in 100% contact with the adjacent beam. Think of a roof joist in a hand framed roof and what the rafters look like when nailed to the hip joist. A long, angled "cheek" is cut on the rafter, then it is nailed to the hip rafter through the cheek.

Second, when I build a deck (or an odd second story on a house) and it has that kind of detail (compound angle cheek cut) I do as Mr. Ross observed, and install a ledger board. Properly nailed to your weight bearing beam, they will hold a tremendous load. So, cut the joist with a cheek cut and simply set it on ledger. If the bearing point is open more than 1/8", bevel the entire ledger the appropriate angle for bearing, then attach. Or you can notch the bottom or the rafter (my preference) with the correct angles for 100% bearing.

After the proper cheek cut, you can use the Simspon tie on a deck and it should work fine with the proper framing web work as part of the structure.

I think it is important to note that the Simpson video only shows the installation of their product, NOT suitability of purpose or recommendations for proper framing techniques. Note that the metal hanger is shown on its attachment on one side ONLY. If you are framing a weight bearing floor/deck and it slopes, for proper framing the joists should buttress to a heavy, non flexing beam as the angle has transferred not only the dead load, but the live load (and flex) to the lower end of the angle on the structure. Also, with the heavier beam (to negate LATERAL flex)in place on the low side, you have effectively "trapped" the joist on place.

I would highly recommend using/borrowing/buying a copy of Rob Thallon's "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction". Having framed a couple of hundred houses from top to bottom, and then 40 years of remodel, repair, rebuilds, and modifications to different structures, I thought I had seen it all. Nope. I still use that book from time to time for details. It is the best I have ever seen on all matters framing. More importantly, no methods or details I have used in that book have ever failed or even been unsatisfactory.

Robert

joist hangers on top course sm_jamieson UK diy 1 June 8th 09 11:25 AM
100 x 50 joist hangers Andrew Mawson UK diy 3 August 22nd 08 03:50 PM
Joist Hangers VisionSet UK diy 0 September 24th 06 11:25 PM
Joist Hangers [email protected] UK diy 2 April 10th 06 12:02 AM
Roof joist hangers [email protected] UK diy 3 December 13th 05 08:49 PM