Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Movement Calculator

Old time poster and current lurker.

I've noticed some recent chatter here on wood movement and thought I'd take the opportunity to offer the following link to those that might be interested.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/moisture.php

It uses date from Forest Products Laboratory that Carl recently cited.

(No, I don't have google ads on my site, and your visit makes me $0.00)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Old time poster and current lurker.

I've noticed some recent chatter here on wood movement and thought
I'd take the opportunity to offer the following link to those that
might be interested.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/moisture.php

It uses date from Forest Products Laboratory that Carl recently cited.

(No, I don't have google ads on my site, and your visit makes me
$0.00)

This is good stuff Brian, but here's something I see here in the group...
Often times tables like this are refered to in absolute terms, which is to
say that all references to wood movement are related to these tables.
That's just not true though in wood that is used in construction. A piece
of 1x6 may move exactly as suggested in the tables but when that same piece
of wood is used in some form of construction where it is unitied with
another piece of wood, those tables go right out the window. Not to
contradict or to be critical of your offering - just trying to add a
different dimension to things. I can't count the number of times I've seen
posts asking about wood movement in such things as building table legs, or
aprons, or any such, only to see follow up posts that refer to simple board
movement. Those movements just do not apply after two pieces of wood are
united. Again - not faulting or being contrary to your post - just offering
a different view of the issue.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2015 2:39 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Nonetheless, these Forest Service Laboratory tables are an excellent
resource for informed decision making.

All you can do is life is seek out the best input you can to help you
make your decisions.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2015 1:34 PM, wrote:
Old time poster and current lurker.

I've noticed some recent chatter here on wood movement and thought I'd take the opportunity to offer the following link to those that might be interested.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/moisture.php

It uses date from Forest Products Laboratory that Carl recently cited.

(No, I don't have google ads on my site, and your visit makes me $0.00)

Well done, as usual, Brian!!

Thanks or taking the time to present this in much more usable manner.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Karl.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Karl.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Karl.

(Struggling with Goovgle - If this tripple posts, my apologies)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2015 1:34 PM, wrote:
Old time poster and current lurker.

I've noticed some recent chatter here on wood movement and thought I'd take the opportunity to offer the following link to those that might be interested.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/moisture.php

It uses date from Forest Products Laboratory that Carl recently cited.

(No, I don't have google ads on my site, and your visit makes me $0.00)

Obviously you are an expert on presenting this information on your web
site. But is there table, in spreadsheet form, that we could download?
Your web site is still available and most likely for the foreseeable
future, but some great sites with similar information no longer exist
and the information would be great to have with out having to go to a
web site each time we might want to reference it.

The one that comes to mind is the table the Rockler provides for making
shutters with their shutter jigs. If they ever quit selling those jigs
I feel pretty certain the tables will disappear too.

Thanks for posting
Leon

Wood movement ... again Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 10 March 26th 15 07:11 PM
wood movement - a little OT Larry Blanchard Woodworking 4 June 5th 10 03:50 AM
wood movement Vic Baron Woodworking 13 June 16th 05 05:43 AM
Wood movement Dave Jackson Woodworking 2 February 5th 05 04:50 PM
need help: solid wood tabletop/wood movement bf Woodworking 3 February 1st 05 09:42 PM