Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Needed a file for a project.

A trip to Home Depot and there hanging in a blister pack
on the wall was a package labeled "Nicholson", a name I
have associated with files for as far back as I can remember.

Grabbed a 10" (250 mm) flat ******* package and started
scanning it.

Seems the name "Nicholson" is now controlled by the
Apex Tool Group, an investment group located in Sparks, MD
with manufacturing facilities in Mexico.

Looks like at least some of my money spent to buy a file,
has created employment opportunities in Mexico.

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2015 6:22 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Needed a file for a project.

A trip to Home Depot and there hanging in a blister pack
on the wall was a package labeled "Nicholson", a name I
have associated with files for as far back as I can remember.

Grabbed a 10" (250 mm) flat ******* package and started
scanning it.

Seems the name "Nicholson" is now controlled by the
Apex Tool Group, an investment group located in Sparks, MD
with manufacturing facilities in Mexico.

Looks like at least some of my money spent to buy a file,
has created employment opportunities in Mexico.

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Those vehicles supply the world market, not just the USA.

Still remember when FoMoCo closed the Flat Rock, MI casting plant
in the mid 1970's and moved it to Mexico.

I was directly involved in supplying the electrical automation to the
OEM who supplied the material handling systems along about '71-'72.

IOW, Flat Rock was a brand new facility.

They had just about worked the start-up bugs out.

As far as the job situation in Mexico is concerned, every little bit
helps.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Those vehicles supply the world market, not just the USA.

Still remember when FoMoCo closed the Flat Rock, MI casting plant
in the mid 1970's and moved it to Mexico.

I was directly involved in supplying the electrical automation to the
OEM who supplied the material handling systems along about '71-'72.

IOW, Flat Rock was a brand new facility.

They had just about worked the start-up bugs out.

As far as the job situation in Mexico is concerned, every little bit
helps.

Lew

Those that come here typically are not specialized in manufacturing so
much as yard work and custodial.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Who knew that this simple post would generate a thread with 128

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2015 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.
There is a huge shipping warehouse just east of El Paso (Socorro, TX)
where you can buy re-manufactured appliances of all sorts...made in
Juarez, Mexico.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico.
Lew says that is good though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2015 10:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico. Lew
says that is good though.

California, where normal is upside down and backwards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico. Lew
says that is good though.

California, where normal is upside down and backwards.

I agree, but I think a lot of things these days are that way.

Everyone wants everyone to think the same way. People are losing jobs
when they post something that someone else disagrees with.

I think it all started in California and spread eastward...

At least that's the way the wind blows...:-0

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico.
Lew says that is good though.

Sorry to see your company lost a valued customer; however, doubt your
labor costs were the only cause the loss.

Unless you are in a business where the only value you bring to the
table is low price, my guess is that somebody took their eye off the
ball and truly forgot why this now ex-customer became your customer
in the first place.

Just a guess.

And yes, if we are to loose a USA company to another country, then
Mexico is the least painful since hopefully the move will help relieve
the pressure on our entry level labor pool by creating jobs in Mexico.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico.
Lew says that is good though.

Sorry to see your company lost a valued customer; however, doubt your
labor costs were the only cause the loss.

Unless you are in a business where the only value you bring to the
table is low price, my guess is that somebody took their eye off the
ball and truly forgot why this now ex-customer became your customer
in the first place.

Just a guess.

And yes, if we are to loose a USA company to another country, then
Mexico is the least painful since hopefully the move will help relieve
the pressure on our entry level labor pool by creating jobs in Mexico.

Lew

Well that is some what of a self centered way to look at things. What
about our poor northern states having to deal with the Canadians coming
over here for jobs. LOL JUST KIDDING!

But seriously our poor USA actors are in earnest being replaced by their
Canadian counter parts. It is surprising how many of today's TV shows
pretty much have an all Canadian cast. Take Rookie Blue for example.
Scroll down to the cast names and click on the name beside the picture.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442065/...s?ref_=tt_ql_1