Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cudos to NYW

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

Basically a lesson in how to go about trimming out something including
using stock moldings and/or making custom shapes from oversize stock
that gets trimed to size afterwords to minimize possible injuries.

Showed not only how, but also why an inside corner of a cornice
molding should be coped to fit.

A lesson in how to salvage cupped boards used for trim.

Subtle ways the NYWcontinues to function as a class room to teach the
viewer.

One thing I did notice, NYW must have some stock in nails for nail
guns.

I counted no less than 6 different nail sizes being used.

Everything from brads to 6d finish.

Oh well, it was a worth while rerun, IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

No, it's metric.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

No, it's metric.

It's all Greek to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

I think you mean "kudos", no?

What ever floats your boat.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 9:41*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

That's a definite maybe.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cudos

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2009 10:21 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On May 9, 9:41 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

That's a definite maybe.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cudos

The whole goddamn language is up for grabs.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 10, 3:43*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 10:21 PM RicodJour spake thus:
On May 9, 9:41 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

That's a definite maybe.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cudos

The whole goddamn language is up for grabs.

Always has been. Start sprinkling some neander terms in your everyday
conversation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.
I think you mean "kudos", no?

No, it's metric.

It's all Greek to me.

My wife's old boss, the principal at our high school, has a small speech
impediment that only shows up for certain words. For years at
assemblies when she was praising students and staff, we were sure she
was saying "Koodles". It sounded cute, but we were left scratching our
heads until we figgered it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.
I think you mean "kudos", no?

No, it's metric.

It's all Greek to me.

My wife's old boss, the principal at our high school, has a small
speech impediment that only shows up for certain words. For years at
assemblies when she was praising students and staff, we were sure she
was saying "Koodles". It sounded cute, but we were left scratching
our heads until we figgered it out.

At least it didn't come across as "cooties".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2009 7:35 AM RicodJour spake thus:

On May 10, 3:43 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 10:21 PM RicodJour spake thus:
On May 9, 9:41 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

That's a definite maybe.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cudos

The whole goddamn language is up for grabs.

Always has been. Start sprinkling some neander terms in your everyday
conversation.

Hmm, new questions. "Neander" terms; not in my dictionary. Only
references I can find are to the place where Neanderthal man was
discovered. Izzat what you meant?

Dawg.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Hmm, new questions. "Neander" terms; not in my dictionary. Only references
I can find are to the place where Neanderthal man was discovered. Izzat
what you meant?

Two schools of woodworking. The Nahmies and the Neanders.

A Nahmie is a guy who uses lots of power tools like Norm Abrams of New
Yankee Workshop.

The Neaners are the guys who use lots of handtools, like roy of the The
Woodwright's shop.

Kinda over simplified, but that is the gist of it. I should mention there
is a lot of good natured (and sometimes not) ribbing going on between these
two groups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/10/2009 7:35 AM RicodJour spake thus:

On May 10, 3:43 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 10:21 PM RicodJour spake thus:
On May 9, 9:41 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

I think you mean "kudos", no?

That's a definite maybe.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cudos

The whole goddamn language is up for grabs.

Always has been. Start sprinkling some neander terms in your everyday
conversation.

Hmm, new questions. "Neander" terms; not in my dictionary. Only
references I can find are to the place where Neanderthal man was
discovered. Izzat what you meant?

Dawg.

There are two types of folks in the woodworking universe:
1. Neanders - users of hand tools. Roy Underhill is the patron saint of
Neanders.
2. Normites - users of power tools. Norm Abram is their patron saint.

Each group has its purists. A neander who uses no power at all is
called a grunt neander. They tend to wear clothing that was castoff in
about 1834 and use no tool manufactured after 1934 unless it was
handmade using no tool manufactured ... You get the idea. Physically
they tend to be somewhat stooped and are usually bleeding from one or
more cuts.

A nuclear normite uses no hand tools. Even chisel and sandpaper, for
example, must have a dangling cord and a plug. Mechanical pencils have
been the subject of debate as to their legality. Clothing consists of a
jump suit of synthetic fiber and a shop apron with a facility to guard
one's privates. Nukes quite often are missing a digit or two.

The average woodworker tends to swing both ways. (!?)

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2009 8:33 PM jo4hn spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I guess that makes me kind of a backslidden Neander; try to use nothing
but old hand tools, but then there are all those tools with black cords
hanging off of them. Can't help myself: must ... use ... router ...

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

However, depending upon the degree of their dedication, a neander may also
be missing digits. Those small hand-axes can be an issue. :-)