DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cudos to Apex Tool Group (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/378763-re-cudos-apex-tool-group.html)

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 21st 15 11:22 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Needed a file for a project.

A trip to Home Depot and there hanging in a blister pack
on the wall was a package labeled "Nicholson", a name I
have associated with files for as far back as I can remember.

Grabbed a 10" (250 mm) flat ******* package and started
scanning it.

Seems the name "Nicholson" is now controlled by the
Apex Tool Group, an investment group located in Sparks, MD
with manufacturing facilities in Mexico.

Looks like at least some of my money spent to buy a file,
has created employment opportunities in Mexico.

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 12:39 AM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 6:22 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Needed a file for a project.

A trip to Home Depot and there hanging in a blister pack
on the wall was a package labeled "Nicholson", a name I
have associated with files for as far back as I can remember.

Grabbed a 10" (250 mm) flat ******* package and started
scanning it.

Seems the name "Nicholson" is now controlled by the
Apex Tool Group, an investment group located in Sparks, MD
with manufacturing facilities in Mexico.

Looks like at least some of my money spent to buy a file,
has created employment opportunities in Mexico.

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 22nd 15 01:28 AM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

"Leon" wrote:

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Those vehicles supply the world market, not just the USA.

Still remember when FoMoCo closed the Flat Rock, MI casting plant
in the mid 1970's and moved it to Mexico.

I was directly involved in supplying the electrical automation to the
OEM who supplied the material handling systems along about '71-'72.

IOW, Flat Rock was a brand new facility.

They had just about worked the start-up bugs out.

As far as the job situation in Mexico is concerned, every little bit
helps.

Lew

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 02:37 AM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

"Leon" wrote:

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Those vehicles supply the world market, not just the USA.

Still remember when FoMoCo closed the Flat Rock, MI casting plant
in the mid 1970's and moved it to Mexico.

I was directly involved in supplying the electrical automation to the
OEM who supplied the material handling systems along about '71-'72.

IOW, Flat Rock was a brand new facility.

They had just about worked the start-up bugs out.

As far as the job situation in Mexico is concerned, every little bit
helps.

Lew

Those that come here typically are not specialized in manufacturing so
much as yard work and custodial.

Max[_6_] March 22nd 15 02:45 AM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.
There is a huge shipping warehouse just east of El Paso (Socorro, TX)
where you can buy re-manufactured appliances of all sorts...made in
Juarez, Mexico.

Ed Pawlowski March 22nd 15 03:59 AM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico.
Lew says that is good though.

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 03:05 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico. Lew
says that is good though.

California, where normal is upside down and backwards.

woodchucker[_3_] March 22nd 15 04:10 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

Given that files are an item that will probably never be built
again in the USA, Mexico is a pretty good choice as far as
I'm concerned.

A file manufacturing plant sure beats a drone monitored fence.

Lew

You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico and
that is not helping.

Not to mention water heaters, refrigerators, water softeners, kitchen
ranges, blenders, toasters, etc.

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico. Lew
says that is good though.

California, where normal is upside down and backwards.

I agree, but I think a lot of things these days are that way.

Everyone wants everyone to think the same way. People are losing jobs
when they post something that someone else disagrees with.

I think it all started in California and spread eastward...

At least that's the way the wind blows...:-0

--
Jeff

DerbyDad03 March 22nd 15 04:28 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

[...]

That has been going on for as long as there have been people with authority over others.

Replace the word "post" with write, scribe, chisel, sing, dance or any other form of communication and you'll find examples of people being fired (or worse) for their opinions since the beginning of humanity.

Ed Pawlowski March 22nd 15 04:59 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

[...]

Much of it we bring on ourselves. We want to buy stuff cheaply and then
complain because it came from Mexico or China. How do you sell a US mae
appliance at a fair price when all your competitors have theirs made
overseas at a much lower cost?

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 06:55 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/21/2015 10:45 PM, Max wrote:

[...]

Stepping up to the podium with flame suit.

Our problems are self generated by the type society that most all of us
were born into. I think what we all really want is value for the amount
of money we are spending. The problem is that we simply can't afford to
live like we do, so we buy cheap.
Fifty years ago it was common for the man to work and the woman to stay
at home and raise the family. For the most part that worked just fine
and I suspect that most every thing that was purchased was of good to
fine quality. Then comes the television and "commercials". Now we are
lead to believe that every one needs and will own the product being
advertized. But a single salary will not allow that. So years later mom
goes to work and the kids are raised by baby sitters, school programs,
etc. Those programs cost money. So, the kids in general, learn their
values from strangers also, and this is quite confusing. The kids loose
focus on what is the right way and wrong way to earn things and come to
learn that they deserve what they want when they want it. They go
deeply into debt. Because they don't see this as a problem, everyone
else is doing it, they believe this is the norm. Basically they are
displaying their ignorance of what they can and cannot afford. Just
because you can make the payments does not mean you can afford it. As a
side note, I was shocked to learn what many consider to be the meaning
of "debt free". It is common these days to think that having a mortgage
and car payments is debt free, if you do not carry a balance on credit
cards. Just under 35 years ago if you bought a home on a 30 year
mortgage you basically paid for that house 4 times. And add to that,
homes were in high demand and way over priced. But hey we could afford
the payments although little else unless mom had a job too.
Now the hard part, entitlement. We have all learned through our
government that we are entitled to have everything that every one else
has. So the person that can't keep a job, does not take care of his
family, knows little to nothing about financing, and how crippling that
can be, is promised hope by the government. The government rewards this
behavior of paying his way with out a requirement to work or to pay back
that debt, or limit this help. It will all be OK, we all will help pay
for this behavior through taxes.
Consider also those that are not dependent on the government, to get by,
but feel entitled.
Why does a common laborer feel entitled to be paid a salary way beyond
what he actually brings to the work force? Why do certain laborers,
factory workers for instance, feel that they should earn what some
doctors earn, of for that matter more than our educators? Entitlement.
Is it even a small wonder why China and Mexico workers have replaced
American workers? Now that the US and other countries became majorly
involved in world trade we now see how our labor force was way over paid
for their production. Yes China and Mexico built-products are on
occasion not of the same quality than what we can build here but that
will change. Even though their products are often inferior they
absolutely offer a better value, you get what you pay for. 50 years ago
we imported way less quality products from Japan than we do from China
and Mexico. Now if it is made in Japan I choose that product rather
than, over priced and lesser quality American made. Just look at the
American automobile industry. Plain and simple the American automobile
industry is in the shape it is in because of workers with entitlement
issues and the unions that supposedly represented them. Want to talk
the computer industry, housing industry, real estate industry? Are you
listening California?
No one thing is wrong or to blame aside from the fact that the majority
of us expect to be paid way more than we each personally deserve from
our contribution to society. And our expectations of entitlement.
Because we can't see this we also can't see why we are where we are at.
If we would only expect what we deserve, things would get better.

Done.

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 08:25 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

That has been my contention for the longest time.
The unions, which were needed at one time and did an incredible service
to the labor force, have now brainwashed people with high school
educations and little to no skilled training that they are worth $50k +
full benefits and retirement for life. These people also want WalMart
prices for all the things they buy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 08:36 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Do you think standing on an assembly line with big, sharp, heavy metal
things swinging by you all day sounds like a "fun" job to do Everyday?

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 08:44 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

WTF does fun have to do with anything!?

My wife went to school for years to earn 3 degrees, went through
internships, training and continuing education, had to pass licensing
exams, and had 10 years experience before she started making that kind
of money. I've never heard her once describe her job as "fun."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 08:53 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Relatively speaking, I'll bet her job is "fun". Ask her about her
working conditions
or her risk of being injured on the job, for instance. I don't work on
the assembly line, I just know
some folks who have. I agree with you that they are over-payed, but not
as over-payed as you think they are.

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:03 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I though we had OSHA for that. I'm pretty sure there are dozens and
dozens of safety procedures and devices in place on every assembly line
in this country. If there some that aren't safe, they should be made
safer. But what does that have to do with employee pay?
Are you saying you'd rather have higher pay than a safe working
environment?

How about all the roofers around here who don't have safety gear like
harnesses? Because I can guarantee their jobs are way more dangerous
than any auto assembly line job. Are these roofers entitled to $50k/yr
plus benefits and retirement just because they have a dangerous job?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 09:13 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 + benefits. The job will take
its toll on your body.
I have more of a problem with what professional athletes get.
Income-inequity is a problem.
I was just reading about a new organization concerned with the
inquitable distribution of wealth (more so than income), and how it
can't last. I certainly don't have all of the answers.

Cheers,
Bill

woodchucker[_3_] March 22nd 15 09:22 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Yep. I have a friend, who was a state trooper. He retired, because he
was eligible. He complains that they don't allow him to come back to
work because of double dipping. His contention is that he is already
traained why shouldn't he save the state money by coming back to work as
a cop. I explain that in no other place can you retire and come back to
work and get another pension. He doesn't understand why he can't. There
is a lot of brain washing. And I can't talk about this with him, because
his view is so twisted.

--
Jeff

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:22 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

snip

That has been my contention for the longest time.
The unions, which were needed at one time and did an incredible service
to the labor force, have now brainwashed people with high school
educations and little to no skilled training that they are worth $50k +

Do you think standing on an assembly line with big, sharp, heavy metal
things swinging by you all day sounds like a "fun" job to do Everyday?

Good question but most all laborers deal with this every day. If your
job requires physical activity it is likely going to have some risk. I
think a roofer probably has one of the most dangerous job.

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:27 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I'm not going to enter for arguments sake but these assembly line
workers are not being forced to work there. If they don't have the
aptitude for this kind of work, to keep from being injured, they should
look elsewhere. Life is not fair. Just because you are hired to do a
job it does not mean you have the skill set to do it safely.

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:30 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Well stop buying the advertized products and their salaries will come
into line...

I was just reading about a new organization concerned with the
inquitable distribution of wealth (more so than income), and how it
can't last. I certainly don't have all of the answers.

There is certainly something wrong with a society that pays it's
entertainers more than its health care workers and educators.

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 09:30 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Bill wrote:

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 + benefits. The job will take
its toll on your body.

For what I paid to have my house re-shingled, the company could
have afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1
spoke English, I doubt they did that well.

woodchucker[_3_] March 22nd 15 09:32 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

So where I grew up in Long Island NY the garbage men were making more
than the teachers 30 years ago. I don't know now, as I haven't lived
there since 78. While garbage men have a tough job, I personally think
it's because they are totally unskilled labor. I don't think they
deserved the pay they were getting.

On the other hand, Foreign labor coming over here were putting me out of
work for years. The way things have been setup, it's more beneficial to
a company to hire foriegn workers. They get away with a lot. Having
talked to recruiters and staffing firms last year, my eyes were opened
to the F'up the congress created. My Indian counterpart is buying
houses in the 5000 sq foot range, while I am 1800 sq ft.
They buy the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus. I have been told by a few
Indian friends what they are making. So I am sure that it's not all
lower price.
--
Jeff

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 09:35 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I think the health care workers, at least those at the hospital level,
are being treated pretty well financially. They have "tough" working
conditions too (12-hour+ shifts, as the norm, in a tough environment).

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:38 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

If a movie makes a billion dollars because I'm in it, then it's not
unfair pay.
It's the free market.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:38 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I don't know why he can't retire and come back either. It is most
likely NOT double dipping. Retirement payments are almost always paid
out of an annuity. If the state would simply exempt returning retirees
from getting a second pension the matter would be solved. The actual
problem is that they want to rehire at beginning salary and not at the
same salary they were paying when originally employee. This is just one
reason my wife did not go back to work for the state after retiring.
Plus at a certain point an experienced government worker is simply
making too much money. They are replaced by cheap new hires and the
government really does not care if they are efficient or not.

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:40 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 + benefits. The job will
take its toll on your body.

For what I paid to have my house re-shingled, the company could have
afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1 spoke
English, I doubt they did that well.

You had the choice to hire them.
If I hired a roofing company to roof my house, they would have to
provide me with proof that all workers were here legally and they were
getting paid market value and workers' comp.
Oh, and I would want to inspect recent jobs to make sure they knew WTF
there were doing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:41 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:35 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Some are but there are many behind the scenes that you don't see and now
that the government is involved the waste of money cut short what could
be paid to workers. It is ridiculous that you have to hire staff to
simply collect what the government owes.

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:43 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 4:35 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

There is certainly something wrong with a society that pays it's
entertainers more than its health care workers and educators.

I think the health care workers, at least those at the hospital
level, are being treated pretty well financially. They have "tough"
working conditions too (12-hour+ shifts, as the norm, in a tough
environment).

True. Plus they are well educated and well trained and have the lives
of other people in their hands every day. Yet some auto workers with a
GED make more than them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:47 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

You think? Does your contribution to society for being in the movie
make you worth a salary of $50,000,000? This is our society but on this
path no one will be able to afford to go to the movies.
I understand how we think this way and I understand why we are in the
shape we are in. We put too much value in things that make us happy
today but not for all of the tomorrows.

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:48 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:30 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 + benefits. The job will take
its toll on your body.

For what I paid to have my house re-shingled, the company could
have afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1
spoke English, I doubt they did that well.

So Bill did you factor in equipment expense, mandatory insurance, over
head, taxes, advertising, fuel costs etc?

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 09:54 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

It is shocking that the garbage men are not paid like athletes. They
absolutely work as hard for their pay...
Those guys have to be some of the most physically fit workers in the
country as a whole. At least the ones that actually lift and empty the
can by themselves. And run to the next house. I am amazed the pace our
collectors keep up. About as fast as I walk, I walk an average of 4mph,
and grab the garbage cans too.

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:54 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/15 4:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

So now we have to "contribution to society" in order to be paid well?
If that's the yardstick then very few people on earth should be paid well.

If I build a mousetrap that 500 million want to buy, do I not deserve
that money?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- March 22nd 15 09:56 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Yet, they could train orangutans to do that job in a month and they'd
work for whatever they picked out of the cans to eat.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 10:03 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I think some of them are orangutans. ;~)

Bill[_47_] March 22nd 15 10:09 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

I don't have a problem with the $50,000 + benefits. The job will
take its toll on your body.

For what I paid to have my house re-shingled, the company could have
afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1 spoke
English, I doubt they did that well.

You had the choice to hire them.
If I hired a roofing company to roof my house, they would have to
provide me with proof that all workers were here legally and they were
getting paid market value and workers' comp.
Oh, and I would want to inspect recent jobs to make sure they knew WTF
there were doing.

I went with a referral. But it was amazing the cultural difference
between the salesperson who came to speak with me, and the group who
arrived to do the work. I think the workers were working on some sort of
"first-come, first-served" basis, as there were at least a half-dozen
car and trucks on my street by 7:00 am. And since the first day was
"rained-out", the same thing happened the next day.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 22nd 15 10:31 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Yes, we lost a $1million customer when they moved from NJ to Mexico.
Lew says that is good though.

Sorry to see your company lost a valued customer; however, doubt your
labor costs were the only cause the loss.

Unless you are in a business where the only value you bring to the
table is low price, my guess is that somebody took their eye off the
ball and truly forgot why this now ex-customer became your customer
in the first place.

Just a guess.

And yes, if we are to loose a USA company to another country, then
Mexico is the least painful since hopefully the move will help relieve
the pressure on our entry level labor pool by creating jobs in Mexico.

Lew

Leon[_7_] March 22nd 15 10:55 PM

Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On 3/22/2015 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 4:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Noooooooo! The more our products or services contribute to society the
more deserving we are of the high pay. If you work to do something that
greatly benefits society as you would work playing a game. Which would
you pick as the job that deserves the better pay.
I don't really determine a persons worth by how much money he makes. I
just believe that if you are providing a product or service that
benefits one or many people, what you charge is of more value than a
person that simply entertains. Value for money spent is more important.
Is entertainment important, absolutely but IMHO not a necessity.

If that's the yardstick then very few people on earth should be paid well.

If I build a mousetrap that 500 million want to buy, do I not deserve
that money?

Here is how I am looking at it.

You work 3 years to build mouse traps that nets you a profit of
25 million. Your product helps countless people with an actual need to
rid their home of vermin.

You act in a movie that takes 3 years to film. You net a profit of
10 million. The movie you act is a box office hit for 6 weeks.

You put in the exact amount of time and work for both the mouse traps
and the entertainment. BUT you earn 10 million more making the traps.

Which of the two jobs would you say benefited society the most therefore
being the most deserved?

Now I am not saying that you don't deserve what you get with either
pick, using our society's way of thinking and beliefs.
A year from now while the traps are still in use and the movie is all
but forgotten which would job would make you feel the best about what
you have done?

"IMHO" if you sell your customers a product that benefits them for more
than a few hours, dollar for dollar, you are more deserving of what you
earn.

And again I don't condemn any one for making as much money as they can
by doing what they want to do. This is how we have been conditioned to
think in our society. You get all you can get while the getting is
good, you are entitled. And "IMHO" that is the problem.