Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Love Letter to Plywood

Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 6:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:21:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)

Actually, I learned another thing:

We are not allowed to screw at any angle other than in-line with the center of Mother Earth. I wonder if they laid that wall down prior to attaching the plywood so they could paint it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steel is king, plywood is the queen.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985
Spalted Walt

An interesting way to show off plywood. Thanks for sharing.

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)
Leon

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5758542...-metric-system
http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-US...feet-and-miles
http://www.metric4us.com/why.html

'nuff said.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:21:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system.
;~)

Actually, I learned another thing:

We are not allowed to screw at any angle other than in-line with the center
of Mother Earth. I wonder if they laid that wall down prior to attaching
the plywood so they could paint it.

I thought his other video on sweeping was instructive.... who would have
known!

https://vimeo.com/44956998

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:21:04 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)

I was going to say it depends in what form the dimensions are given
you, but upon further consideration, I agree with you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 2:02:53 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:21:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system.
;~)

Actually, I learned another thing:

We are not allowed to screw at any angle other than in-line with the center
of Mother Earth. I wonder if they laid that wall down prior to attaching
the plywood so they could paint it.

I thought his other video on sweeping was instructive.... who would have
known!

https://vimeo.com/44956998

First off, why was there no mention of sizing the broom for the space being swept? As the wise man once said "If you are working too hard, you are probably using the wrong tool." (This was said while watching a guy try to put a hole in a concrete floor with a hammer and chisel)

Second: "Each broom stroke should be more effective than the stroke that came before it." In other words, eventually you should be able to simply show your broom to the room and the task will be complete.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

You guys realize these videos are intended to be more art than actual
instruction, right?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

You guys realize these videos are intended to be more art than actual
instruction, right?

LOL

The video reminded me of something a friend said probably 35 years ago while
sweeping up the the repair area in a bicycle shop. "My mother was worried I
was going to grow up pushing a broom but I faked her out... I pull it!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

You guys realize these videos are intended to be more art than actual
instruction, right?

LOL

The video reminded me of something a friend said probably 35 years ago
while sweeping up the the repair area in a bicycle shop. "My mother was
worried I was going to grow up pushing a broom but I faked her out... I
pull it!"

Now, that's funny!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 1:03 PM, Casper wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985
Spalted Walt

An interesting way to show off plywood. Thanks for sharing.

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the
Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)
Leon

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5758542...-metric-system
http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-US...feet-and-miles
http://www.metric4us.com/why.html

'nuff said.
`Casper

If we ever get to where we don't know how to deal with fractions, like
those on the metric system, ;~) we should go to incha'meter,
foota'meter, yarda'meter, and milea'meter.

Much less confusing than centi, mili, deci, kilo, etc. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 7:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

A useless production.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

But wait...that's not what it says at the Tom Sachs' vimeo page:

"These films are required viewing for Tom Sachs' studio. They comprise guides to studio practice and documentation of specific projects and installations."

They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I can promise you there are easier, less esthetic means of telling his
students or whomever the policies in his shop.

Those videos do much more to show off the craft of the videographer
and editor than they do of instructing anything. In fact, if were to
use them to instruct anybody on anything, it would be film students on
film making.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 7:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

That was pretty odd. But parts of it were filmed a few blocks from where
I work. I've been in Chinatown Building Supply any number of times.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I can promise you I wasn't being serious.

Those videos do much more to show off the craft of the videographer
and editor than they do of instructing anything. In fact, if were to
use them to instruct anybody on anything, it would be film students on
film making.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 10:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/2/2015 7:20 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

That was pretty odd. But parts of it were filmed a few blocks from where
I work. I've been in Chinatown Building Supply any number of times.

Made by theater people for theater people.

They live in an alternate universe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

If we ever get to where we don't know how to deal with fractions, like
those on the metric system, ;~) we should go to incha'meter,
foota'meter, yarda'meter, and milea'meter.

Much less confusing than centi, mili, deci, kilo, etc. :~)

If not using fractions is so darn important, why are machinists the only
ones out there using decimal inches?

Why do they bother with those prefixes anyway? Why not just pronouce the
power-of-10? My height is approximately 76 negative-two-meters. (I'm
sitting down.) Now, we're to a useful and self-describing but not really
"cool" system.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Spalted Walt wrote:
Steel is king, plywood is the queen.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/44947985

I, for one, found it amusing.

It also brings memories of "Uncle" Leon, who was more like grand-uncle
to my father. Uncle Leon once owned a small mill in Coos County, New
Hampshire. He loved plywood and had a grandfather clock cabinet made of
it, showing the layers. His stated reason for loving it was because he
couldn't make it in his mill.

Uncle Leon was a very old man when I met him as a small child, and the
mill was long gone. The story, though, keeps him alive in the family.

Elijah
------
remembers, too, skipping stones on the river there