Posted to rec.woodworking

Default trying to identify a "rare" wood type

Thank you for helping in advance.

I live in a very old farmhouse in Minnesota. I purchased the home
from someone who dabbled in woodworking and lumbering out trees etc.
There were several pieces of rare wood left over here when we moved in
in 1992.

In my basement, is a vertical wood post approximately 6" square that
is rough cut and painted over with what looks like whitewash or cheap
white paint. About 8 feet in length.

Hand written on the lower part of the post is this (exact spelling):
"rare red headed peokeawood"

Does anyone here know what that might be? Search engines come up with
nothing that I can tell.

Again - thanks.
Regards,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2015 10:55 AM, Charlie Wolf wrote:
Thank you for helping in advance.

I live in a very old farmhouse in Minnesota. I purchased the home
from someone who dabbled in woodworking and lumbering out trees etc.
There were several pieces of rare wood left over here when we moved in
in 1992.

In my basement, is a vertical wood post approximately 6" square that
is rough cut and painted over with what looks like whitewash or cheap
white paint. About 8 feet in length.

Hand written on the lower part of the post is this (exact spelling):
"rare red headed peokeawood"

Does anyone here know what that might be? Search engines come up with
nothing that I can tell.

Again - thanks.
Regards,

I suspect that it might be a joke.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 10:55:50 AM UTC-6, Charlie Wolf wrote:
Thank you for helping in advance.

I live in a very old farmhouse in Minnesota. I purchased the home
from someone who dabbled in woodworking and lumbering out trees etc.
There were several pieces of rare wood left over here when we moved in
in 1992.

In my basement, is a vertical wood post approximately 6" square that
is rough cut and painted over with what looks like whitewash or cheap
white paint. About 8 feet in length.

Hand written on the lower part of the post is this (exact spelling):
"rare red headed peokeawood"

Does anyone here know what that might be? Search engines come up with
nothing that I can tell.

Again - thanks.
Regards,

Peokea, itself, (seems to be) might be a foreign word. Peokeawood may be a misspelling (mispronounciation), of woodpecker, by the previous owners (being of foreign ancestry?). Woodpecker, in Italian, is picchio.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:55:59 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Of peckerwood? Probably.

You've been trolled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fully realizing the bogus nature of the original post, I do have a question..

All of you are familiar with the National Wood Products Lab in Wisconsin, right?

We had a some stuff here, found only in billets. that neither the frau nor I could identify. Dark, cut well, sanded like glass, had white flecks in it. Looked like nothing I had ever seen. Thought it might be old growth chestnut. Sent a sample off to the above folks and were floored by the answer, white oak. Highly weathered and aged white oak.

The whole thing was free. They do not get in a hurry, but if you ever have a piece of wood that stumps you, send it to:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/contact/index.php

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2015-02-21 23:04:52 +0000, Dr. Deb said:

Fully realizing the bogus nature of the original post, I do have a question.

All of you are familiar with the National Wood Products Lab in
Wisconsin, right?
We had a some stuff here, found only in billets. that neither the frau
nor I could identify. Dark, cut well, sanded like glass, had white
flecks in it. Looked like nothing I had ever seen. Thought it might
be old growth chestnut. Sent a sample off to the above folks and were
floored by the answer, white oak. Highly weathered and aged white oak.

The whole thing was free. They do not get in a hurry, but if you ever
have a piece of wood that stumps you, send it to:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/contact/index.php

Deb

They are a great resource. Two on-line places I use is Hobbit House Inc

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

and the Wood database

http://www.wood-database.com/