Posted to rec.woodworking

Default trying to identify a "rare" wood type

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:29:28 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/21/2015 10:55 AM, Charlie Wolf wrote:
Thank you for helping in advance.

I live in a very old farmhouse in Minnesota. I purchased the home
from someone who dabbled in woodworking and lumbering out trees etc.
There were several pieces of rare wood left over here when we moved in
in 1992.

In my basement, is a vertical wood post approximately 6" square that
is rough cut and painted over with what looks like whitewash or cheap
white paint. About 8 feet in length.

Hand written on the lower part of the post is this (exact spelling):
"rare red headed peokeawood"

Does anyone here know what that might be? Search engines come up with
nothing that I can tell.

Again - thanks.
Regards,

I suspect that it might be a joke.