Posted to rec.woodworking

Default the router bit bearing saga

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/15 9:25 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/20/15 9:25 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.

Reminds me of the tales of Archy and Mehitabel.

--
 GW Ross

 My wife has a slight impediment in
 her speech. Every now and then she
 stops to breathe. - Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote:

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim
bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

So replace the bearing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mc7js9$jik$2
@dont-email.me:

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also
be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw
(i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is
allowing the bearing to shimmy around.

It could also be that the hole for the screw is not
co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off-
center.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in :

On 2/20/15 9:25 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.

Hey, he's got a period, a comma, and a 'postrophe in there.
How many more punctuation do you want?

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:12:47 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also
be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw
(i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is
allowing the bearing to shimmy around.

It could also be that the hole for the screw is not
co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off-
center.

visual inspection dont reveal anything
will clean the bearing and apply some light oil
may be a crappy bearing or simply wrong one for this application

there should be no spacing between ball-bearings or it should
have a bearing race or something to keep them from moving outward
and/or together

not sure the make it has yellow paint

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in :

On 2/20/15 9:25 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.

Hey, he's got a period, a comma, and a 'postrophe in there.
How many more punctuation do you want?

John

A teacher asked his students to punctuate this sentence:

"Woman without her man is nothing."

The men all wrote, "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

The women all wrote, "Woman! Without her, man is nothing!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 2:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Electric Comet" wrote:

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim
bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and
cause things to get eccentric

I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored

So replace the bearing.

Lew

Get new bearings at the Auto Store. They have them or can order from
their supplier. We used FAGG in Disk Drives. Long lasting. Sealed.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2015 3:12 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:mc7js9$jik$2
@dont-email.me:

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit
with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.

took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and
no problem

with bearing back on all hell breaks loose

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also
be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw
(i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is
allowing the bearing to shimmy around.

It could also be that the hole for the screw is not
co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off-
center.

John

Take the bearing off and screw back on the screw. See if it runs true.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

So replace the bearing.

Lew

"Martin Eastburn" wrote:

Get new bearings at the Auto Store. They have them or can order
from
their supplier. We used FAGG in Disk Drives. Long lasting.
Sealed.

--------------------------------------
It's a renewal part item for anybody selling router bits.

I picked up one at Harbor Freight.

You get two brg, screw and bushing as a kit.

Outa stock? Buy a complete bit for $5 and throw away the cutter.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:55:16 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Take the bearing off and screw back on the screw. See if it runs
true.

no doesn't run true, no difference
wrong bearing for the application
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also
be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw
(i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is
allowing the bearing to shimmy around.

It could also be that the hole for the screw is not
co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off-
center.

visual inspection dont reveal anything
will clean the bearing and apply some light oil
may be a crappy bearing or simply wrong one for this application

there should be no spacing between ball-bearings or it should
have a bearing race or something to keep them from moving outward
and/or together

not sure the make it has yellow paint

VIPER if I remember correct.A BORG item years ago.

--
Jeff

router bearing sest kup Woodworking 3 February 4th 08 06:55 AM
Help removing router bearing? Antony N. Lord Home Repair 4 March 13th 06 04:23 AM
Router bearing trouble David Lang Woodworking 7 June 21st 05 04:09 AM
9/16" router bit with 5/8" bearing toller Woodworking 2 December 22nd 04 06:28 AM
last chapter in router saga Tim Simmons Woodworking 5 September 28th 03 05:50 PM