Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Water Based Poly?

I have traditionally used oil based polyurethanes, mostly Minwax because of
availability, but I've used General Finishes in recent years too. The long
dry times can be a real pain and tend to collect lots of dust. The fumes
are also annoying indoors. Another issue I have had with oil based polys is
that they tend to dissolve and pick up oil based gel stains on the first
coat.

So last year I tried Minwax Polycrylic Water Based poly on a bed frame. It
applied easily with a brush, and seems to be fairly durable. Best of all,
no odors and it dries quickly.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Polycrylic at my local Lowes, so I
picked up some "Minwax Oil-Modified Water Based Polyurethane". It seemed to
apply nicely, didn't pick up the stain like oil based poly, dries quickly,
and doesn't have any odor. Unfortunately, it only seems to come in 1/2 pint
or gallon cans. I don't need a gallon, but I've already gone through two
1/2 pint cans on the first coat. It is also rather expensive. I'll probably
pick up enough 1/2 pint cans to finish this project, but doubt I would use
it again just due to availability. Kind of a shame.

Anyway, I am curious what other water based poly you would recommend?

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Has anyone used Old Masters water based poly? Dick Snyder[_4_] Woodworking 4 February 23rd 09 02:23 PM
Water Based Wipeon Poly V Woodworking 4 June 29th 08 12:11 PM
water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 05:00 AM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 09:18 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 06:10 AM