Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

Default Water Based Wipeon Poly

Hello everyone,

I'm using a non-catalyzed laquer as a sealer on maple to help with
stain sploching. Having now used the laquer can I use a water based
poly to finish the piece?

Thanks for your help,
Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm using a non-catalyzed laquer as a sealer on maple to help with
stain sploching. Having now used the laquer can I use a water based
poly to finish the piece?

Thanks for your help,

Since we don't know the exact products you're using, try a test board.

In fact, ALWAYS try a test board with any unknown combination before
putting it on anything you care about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
V wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm using a non-catalyzed laquer as a sealer on maple to help with
stain sploching. Having now used the laquer can I use a water based
poly to finish the piece?

Thanks for your help,

Since we don't know the exact products you're using, try a test board.

In fact, ALWAYS try a test board with any unknown combination before
putting it on anything you care about.

Also, in addition to using the same wood for the test board, use the
same prep/sanding schedule as the project.
Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

On Jun 28, 12:39*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
V wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm using a non-catalyzed laquer as a sealer on maple to help with
stain sploching. *Having now used the laquer can I use a water based
poly to finish the piece?

Thanks for your help,

Since we don't know the exact products you're using, try a test board.

In fact, ALWAYS try a test board with any unknown combination before
putting it on anything you care about.

Excellent idea. Thank you...
Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm using a non-catalyzed laquer as a sealer on maple to help with
stain sploching. Having now used the laquer can I use a water based
poly to finish the piece?

Yes but it won't stick well, will tend to separate if bumped. IMO, you are
better off continuing with lacquer. FYI, you cannot go the other way
(lacquer over poly) as the poly will reticulate.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Minwax water based poly [email protected] Woodworking 5 December 21st 07 12:08 AM
water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 05:00 AM
Water based poly problem Brian Mahaney Woodworking 8 February 21st 06 05:33 PM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 09:18 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 06:10 AM