Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Has anyone used Old Masters water based poly?

I have had Old Masters water based poly recommended to me for its UV
protection. Of course no clear finish can *stop* UV damage but this is
supposed to be better than others. Has anyone tried it long enough ago to
have a sense of how it protects against UV damage?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
I have had Old Masters water based poly recommended to me for its UV
protection. Of course no clear finish can *stop* UV damage but this is
supposed to be better than others. Has anyone tried it long enough
ago to have a sense of how it protects against UV damage?

Anything that affords UV protection does so by filtering UV light. UV
filters are light yellow. Water isn't light yellow, oil is.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:17:01 GMT, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I have had Old Masters water based poly recommended to me for its UV
protection. Of course no clear finish can *stop* UV damage but this is
supposed to be better than others. Has anyone tried it long enough ago to
have a sense of how it protects against UV damage?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

http://www.diamondvogel.com/Architec...insClrCoat.pdf

I have not used their product.

According to their web site, the water based poly is for interior use.
They do not mention UV absorbers in this product.

They do offer "Old Masters Spar Varnish" for suitable for exterior
use. This appears to be oil based.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have had Old Masters water based poly recommended to me for its UV
protection. Of course no clear finish can *stop* UV damage but this is
supposed to be better than others. Has anyone tried it long enough ago to
have a sense of how it protects against UV damage?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

http://www.diamondvogel.com/Architec...insClrCoat.pdf

I have not used their product.

According to their web site, the water based poly is for interior use.
They do not mention UV absorbers in this product.

They do offer "Old Masters Spar Varnish" for suitable for exterior
use. This appears to be oil based.

My usage would be interior - I have mahogany window frames. The sills on the
south facing side of the house really get bleached out. I looked at their
website too but saw no reference either. The person who told me about the UV
protection is a professional house (interior) painter friend but maybe they
don't know what they are talking about.............

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contact the manufacturer. I am sure they would be more than happy to steer
you in the correct direction.

wrote:

[...]

Minwax water based poly [email protected] Woodworking 5 December 21st 07 12:08 AM
water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 05:00 AM
Water based poly problem Brian Mahaney Woodworking 8 February 21st 06 05:33 PM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 09:18 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 06:10 AM