Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Great tip on clearing spray cans.

Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...ilding-eletter

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

Don't expect much Jeff since most of these clogs are not in the nozzle but
in the neck of the can itself. It would be a lot easier just to pull a
nozzle off another can and use it - but since the problem is not in the
nozzle, that doesn't work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 1:05:50 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...ilding-eletter

--
Jeff

WD-40 is good for removing adhesives and other gunk, so I'm not surprised that it could clear paint from a nozzle.

In my case, I'd have to modify that technique since this is how I dispense WD-40:

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/ima...2TK20_AS02.JPG

I haven't bought an aerosol can of WD-40 in probably 15 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just had to do this yesterday... I put the nozzle in a little bit of
industrial solvent (goof-off in this case, although an 0.018" drill bit
was perfect for clearing the hole) and used a syringe to put a drop of
solvent in the top of the spray can itself. The nozzle was easy to
clean, but it took a few tries to get the can itself unclogged.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2015 1:09 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

Don't expect much Jeff since most of these clogs are not in the nozzle but
in the neck of the can itself. It would be a lot easier just to pull a
nozzle off another can and use it - but since the problem is not in the
nozzle, that doesn't work.

yep, I'm aware of that.
The rustoleum can's are now meant to work inverted which is stupid.
You can't clean them out.
But I thought this was a cool little one.

Since wd40 has mineral spirits as the carrier I believe.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2015 12:05 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...ilding-eletter

If WD40 sprays through the nozzle is the nozzle even clogged?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

woodchucker wrote:

Does it work?? I don't know.
But I'll try it next time.

Don't expect much Jeff since most of these clogs are not in the nozzle
but in the neck of the can itself. It would be a lot easier just to
pull a nozzle off another can and use it - but since the problem is
not in the nozzle, that doesn't work.

Also, the nozzle is not likely to be compatible with the WD40 can. Paint
cans are usually as cheaply built as possible so tend to have a simple
ball bearing on a spring against a rubber washer or O ring that both
seals the can and the shaft of the detachable nozzle. WD40 cans have a
higher quality valve assembly with an integral shaft protruding from the
can.

You really dont want traces of WD40 in the paint either.

If you chill the paint can to reduce the internal pressure, you can use a
warm (not hot) can of lighter gas to blow back through the valve and dip
tube to clear it of paint. You'll probably have to slot the end of one
of the lighter gas nozzles to let the gas flow while its pushing the ball
bearing in the paint can valve down. You can also use the lighter gas
to flush the paint nozzle.

You can try soaking the nozzle in thinners and putting a drop into the
top of the pain can to try and clear the valve, but if you let paint dry
in the nozzle because you didn't clear it after use, its probably too
late.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL