Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginner air compressor question

On 11/30/2014 10:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/29/2014 9:33 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 11/27/2014 8:45 PM, Bill wrote:

BTW, good tip below with regard to extension cords and inexpensive
hoses. I'll buy as needed.

Cheers,
Bill

To clarify, my compressor is always plugged directly into the wall outlet.

My daily use 50' hose is nice quality. In non oily environments, like
in an automotive shop, this hose can last up to 20 years. I also have a
$10~$20 100' hose for use with the 50' hose to handle building fences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:24:49 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet My
daily use 50' hose is nice quality. In non oily environments, like
in an automotive shop, this hose can last up to 20 years. I also have a
$10~$20 100' hose for use with the 50' hose to handle building fences.

Must be a pain dragging long hoses like that around? Have you
considered a cordless nail gun?

One downside with cordless is the weight. Had a DeWalt cordless for
several years, but eventually sold it because of the 10 lbs weight.
Considered buying a new senco cordless recently, but it wasn't too
much lighter that the DeWalt had been. Guess I'm going to have to wait
awhile longer for battery technology to inprove some more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Planning to buy an air compressor tomorrow morning, on sale
(6-gallon, 1.5HP, Fini brand unit at Menards for $79).
Also planning to buy a 25' or 50' of 3/8" hose since I've read
here
that those are superior to the 1/4" variety.

"Leon" wrote:

So what exactly do you plan to do with your compressor? Probably
not
going to be adequate for air ratchets, impacts, etc.

snip
I bought a 20 gal dual piston cast iron oiled compressor about 20
years ago. It still runs with little attention. I have changed the
oil one time initially. IIRC I paid $450. Just before buying that
one I bought a 26 gal oilless Craftsman to replace a pieced together
80 gallon compressor that had a pump and motor off of probably a 10
gallon tank.. It took 2 hours to fill initially and recharge was
about 15~20 minutes.

The craftsman lasted almost a week before it self destructed and
threw its piston out side of the housing. I watched it happen and
that was scary. I decided to bite the bullet and buy quality, not
one that has to be replaced every several years. I am happy with my
decision. It runs quietly and not nearly as often as my smaller
pancake compressor that I have had.

Buying an air compressor is like buying a SawStop.

You buy it once and it only hurts once.

If you plan on using air tools including spray guns, you need a real
compressor, not a toy.

I had a 5HP, cap start, cap run, 240V motor, driving a 2 stage
compressor with intercooler and placed on a vertical 80 gal tank.

It resided in the corner.

Cost was about $800. Today the same unit is about $1,300.

You going to need about 15 SCFM to drive a decent spray gun on a
continuous basis.

My unit did that.

When you are shooting $200/gal LP, you don't want to have to wait
for the compressor to catch up.

Not going to paint or use automotive air tools like a jitterbug or an
air file,
then a low cost pancake unit is probably good enough.

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya pick.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/29/2014 8:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

So what exactly do you plan to do with your compressor? Probably
not going to be adequate for air ratchets, impacts, etc.

Actually - for the casual user like Bill, ratchets and impacts will
work fine off of the one he's looking at. The most he's ever likely
to do is pull of a car wheel once every few years. Not much demand
in that kind of use.

That may be true if he also uses a top quality air ratchet or impact.
I don't believe that something in the Harbor Freight, Craftsman class
will be any thing but a wasted effort. My 20 gal will Juuuuuust work
with my Craftsman air tools. Maybe my hose is too long and not big
enough....I am using the same diameter hose that we used in our
mechanical shops however.

Well - that's the surprising part Leon. Those HF guns will work very well
for the casual applications. Agreed - they will not rattle for minutes on
end, but for changing tires, and stuff like that, they work just fine on
small compresssors - they just don't demand high SCFM capability. They are
intermittent use by nature, so they do well. I have a CP gun and my buddy
has an HF gun. Mine will out-balls his but he will change over tires with
no problems in his driveway with his gun and a little compressor. When that
don't work - he comes to my house...

--

-Mike-

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I have seen a cheap paint gun that we used to paint a 16' tall by 10'
wide steel garage door. The compressor was a small pancake
compressor. This was 25 years ago but I do remember that the
painting was interrupted countless times, it took hours. In a pinch
the small compressor works. I certainly would not want to do this
often.

I think that's really the point that this conversation is driving towards.
It depends on how much of what kind of work does one expect to do. For the
occassional or casual user, some of the inconveniences are quite acceptable
and they won't affect quality in any way. For the more frequent user, the
frustrations become a different matter.

The best thing to do is to look at the tools and the quality of tools
that you would actually consider buying and see what their air
requirements are. That is going to be closer to the truth about what
size compressor you will need than anything anyone has an opinion on.

Full circle here Leon - thanks for saying that. It's exactly what I had led
with in early comments to Bill.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

The Craftsman above would be adequate for air ratchets and impacts I
believe. How much so for painting cabinetry?

Maybe. My 20 gallon is just adequate with my Craftsman air ratchets
and impacts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't decide whether you are
really delighted with that compressor or not. FWIW, Craftsman 25
Gallon, oil-lubed compressor is currently about $529, on sale. At this
point, I'm not seriously considering it. I have "other logs in the
fire". Maybe I just need to build-on about 25 more feet of shop space
so I can rebuild cars too, like Mike! ; ) No, make that 50 feet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

In my real job, ;~) I had limitless air available at all times for
high volume air tools, including lifts. There was never never ever any
waiting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2014 2:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I have seen a cheap paint gun that we used to paint a 16' tall by 10'
wide steel garage door. The compressor was a small pancake
compressor. This was 25 years ago but I do remember that the
painting was interrupted countless times, it took hours. In a pinch
the small compressor works. I certainly would not want to do this
often.

I think that's really the point that this conversation is driving towards.
It depends on how much of what kind of work does one expect to do. For the
occassional or casual user, some of the inconveniences are quite acceptable
and they won't affect quality in any way. For the more frequent user, the
frustrations become a different matter.

Agreed but my experience has shown me to have more than "enough" opens
my mind to expansion. If you are limited to start with when you are
just starting out you may never see what is possible.

The best thing to do is to look at the tools and the quality of tools
that you would actually consider buying and see what their air
requirements are. That is going to be closer to the truth about what
size compressor you will need than anything anyone has an opinion on.

Full circle here Leon - thanks for saying that. It's exactly what I had led
with in early comments to Bill.

I saw that! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2014 7:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

The Craftsman above would be adequate for air ratchets and impacts I
believe. How much so for painting cabinetry?

Maybe. My 20 gallon is just adequate with my Craftsman air ratchets
and impacts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't decide whether you are
really delighted with that compressor or not. FWIW, Craftsman 25
Gallon, oil-lubed compressor is currently about $529, on sale. At this
point, I'm not seriously considering it. I have "other logs in the
fire". Maybe I just need to build-on about 25 more feet of shop space
so I can rebuild cars too, like Mike! ; ) No, make that 50 feet.

I am happy with it for nail guns, vacuum vices, blowing dust, and
inflating tires.

I would steer clear of Craftsman.

Look here CH probably builds most of the look alike brands.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-...6290/203002182

Or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-...602H/205389936

Or
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5221_200375221

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/30/2014 2:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Full circle here Leon - thanks for saying that. It's exactly what I
had led
with in early comments to Bill.

I saw that! ;~)

And I've definitely been the full circle before. But I learned a few
new tidbits this time around.
I even downloaded and read the whole Earlex cataglog.

And I have been saving a "tough" post made by Morgans.

And HomeDepot has the Porter Cable C2002 on sale for $99 for 4 more days
while I save my pennies.
Grizzly is supposed to be getting their jointers in next week too (they
have been mistaken in earlier such predictions).

Thank you (all) for all the help!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

The Craftsman above would be adequate for air ratchets and impacts I
believe. How much so for painting cabinetry?

Maybe. My 20 gallon is just adequate with my Craftsman air ratchets
and impacts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't decide whether you are
really delighted with that compressor or not. FWIW, Craftsman 25
Gallon, oil-lubed compressor is currently about $529, on sale. At
this point, I'm not seriously considering it. I have "other logs in
the fire". Maybe I just need to build-on about 25 more feet of shop
space so I can rebuild cars too, like Mike! ; ) No, make that 50
feet.

Ugh! Don't even consider such a thing Bill!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

And HomeDepot has the Porter Cable C2002 on sale for $99 for 4 more
days
while I save my pennies.

And HF has the same rating pancake compressor for $40 if price is an
issue.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

And HomeDepot has the Porter Cable C2002 on sale for $99 for 4 more
days
while I save my pennies.

And HF has the same rating pancake compressor for $40 if price is an
issue.

Ugh! Now we're going to go back to all of the previous conversations about
compressors, HF, etc. FWIW - they are every bit as good as the brand name
compressors that people think they need to buy - but at a lot less cost.
But - this has been so well discussed, so many times, that Bill really needs
to search the archives on this topic. It'd be worth his time.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Ugh! Now we're going to go back to all of the previous
conversations about compressors, HF, etc. FWIW - they are every bit
as good as the brand name compressors that people think they need to
buy - but at a lot less cost. But - this has been so well discussed,
so many times, that Bill really needs to search the archives on this
topic. It'd be worth his time.

Hardly.

For $40 you get a throw away compressor that is noisy and slow;
however,
it provides a source of compressed air for a lot of shop tasks other
than
spray painting or automotive body shop tasks.

For $1300 you get a serious piece of equipment that will provide a
lifetime
of air compressor service.

What's to research?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Ugh! Now we're going to go back to all of the previous
conversations about compressors, HF, etc. FWIW - they are every bit
as good as the brand name compressors that people think they need to
buy - but at a lot less cost. But - this has been so well discussed,
so many times, that Bill really needs to search the archives on this
topic. It'd be worth his time.

Hardly.

For $40 you get a throw away compressor that is noisy and slow;
however,
it provides a source of compressed air for a lot of shop tasks other
than
spray painting or automotive body shop tasks.

For $1300 you get a serious piece of equipment that will provide a
lifetime
of air compressor service.

What's to research?

Lew

So.... You should spend $1340, so you have one to take with you on
vacation, or wherever! : )
It's hard to avoid the cheap, portable one. I still remember my dad and
I blowing up 2 or 3
air mattresses with lung power... routinely!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Ugh! Now we're going to go back to all of the previous
conversations about compressors, HF, etc. FWIW - they are every bit
as good as the brand name compressors that people think they need to
buy - but at a lot less cost. But - this has been so well discussed,
so many times, that Bill really needs to search the archives on this
topic. It'd be worth his time.

Hardly.

For $40 you get a throw away compressor that is noisy and slow;
however,
it provides a source of compressed air for a lot of shop tasks other
than
spray painting or automotive body shop tasks.

For $1300 you get a serious piece of equipment that will provide a
lifetime
of air compressor service.

What's to research?

Lew

By the way, you forgot inflation. Even the 6-gallon is $99 at HF. And
it has the same crappy ratings
as the Porter-Cable. This is tough for some of us--to have the mindset
that you are buying
an "expendable" (Karl's word)! HF will allow you to go to an
8-gallon oil-lubed version for $119.99,
which presumably comes with a longer life, so your expendable may last
longer! No one said it was
quieter either--the manual says 88db at 3'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Ugh! Now we're going to go back to all of the previous
conversations about compressors, HF, etc. FWIW - they are every bit
as good as the brand name compressors that people think they need to
buy - but at a lot less cost. But - this has been so well discussed,
so many times, that Bill really needs to search the archives on this
topic. It'd be worth his time.

Hardly.

For $40 you get a throw away compressor that is noisy and slow;
however,
it provides a source of compressed air for a lot of shop tasks other
than
spray painting or automotive body shop tasks.

For $1300 you get a serious piece of equipment that will provide a
lifetime
of air compressor service.

What's to research?

The inevetable question goes to "which is better - the $99 Porter Cable
compressor at HD, or the $39 compressor at HF?" Not accusing Bill of this -
just saying - that's where the discussion generally goes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

By the way, you forgot inflation. Even the 6-gallon is $99 at HF.
And it has the same crappy ratings
as the Porter-Cable. This is tough for some of us--to have the
mindset that you are buying
an "expendable" (Karl's word)! HF will allow you to go to an
8-gallon oil-lubed version for $119.99,
which presumably comes with a longer life, so your expendable may last
longer! No one said it was
quieter either--the manual says 88db at 3'.

I've posted this before but it probable got lost in the clutter because it
was a while ago, but my son has one of those 8 gal oil lubed HF compressors.
He's installed thousands of feet of hardwood flooring with it, and much
more. Very good deal, very reliable, and about as quiet as you'd probably
expect. As they say in Ukraine - "Is not quiet - is compressor!".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

LOL I would say neither, most likely the HF models rolls of the
assembly line to the right for the HF sticker and the PC rolls of the
same line to the left for the PC sticker... ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

By the way, you forgot inflation. Even the 6-gallon is $99 at HF.
And it has the same crappy ratings
as the Porter-Cable. This is tough for some of us--to have the
mindset that you are buying
an "expendable" (Karl's word)! HF will allow you to go to an
8-gallon oil-lubed version for $119.99,
which presumably comes with a longer life, so your expendable may
last longer! No one said it was
quieter either--the manual says 88db at 3'.

Good grief Charlie Brown, stay focused.

A HF $40 pancake compressor provides a means of putting compressed
air into your shop for the minimum investment.

It also provides maximum portability if off site capability is
required after
you have purchased a serious piece of equipment some where down
the road for the shop.

If you truly need a compressor, then $40 for a pancake gets the job
done at minimum cost as well as providing future backup capability.

If OTOH, you want to continue to conduct an exercise in window
shopping, that is quite another matter.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:
[...]

Maybe you haven't seen the specs. I'm more likely to buy the 6-gallon.
And the 8-gallon
at Home Depot looks like it came out of the same factory as the one at
HF, except it comes with a 2 year warranty.
FWIW, I stopped at a gas station tonight, put $1 in the air machine, and
wasn't
even able to fill one tire in my allotted 3 minutes. Several nights
ago, I went to Tires Plus at 7:30, where I bought my
tires, and they closed at 7:00. So this thing is going to another
level... ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Maybe you haven't seen the specs. I'm more likely to buy the
6-gallon. And the 8-gallon
at Home Depot looks like it came out of the same factory as the one at
HF, except it comes with a 2 year warranty.
FWIW, I stopped at a gas station tonight, put $1 in the air machine,
and wasn't
even able to fill one tire in my allotted 3 minutes. Several nights
ago, I went to Tires Plus at 7:30, where I bought my
tires, and they closed at 7:00. So this thing is going to another
level... ; )

Bill

If you spend the $40 on the compressor now, you won't feel bad about
replacing it with something nicer later. I've got a little compressor
that's only rated about 2 SCFM at 90 psi, and it's adequate for just
about everything I do with it. No air wrenches or paint sprayers, but
handy to have around. It's kinda sorta portable (luggable) as well.

Sure would be nice to have a bigger compressor, but the little one does
everything I need it to so replacement is far down on my list.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

And HF has the same rating pancake compressor for $40 if price is
an
issue.

You waited too long.

Price is now $60.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
And HF has the same rating pancake compressor for $40 if price is
an
issue.

You waited too long.

Price is now $60.

Lew

I'm not interested in that one. As someone else commented, one with a
little more potential
may allow me to pursue new turf. I had to spend $750 on a "simple" car
repair this morning, so the
price of a $100 air compressor is not an issue. Although, it may become
one, if I have many
more surprises! ; ) I kept thinking about how far that $750 would
have gone towards a compressor! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
And HF has the same rating pancake compressor for $40 if price is
an
issue.

You waited too long.

Price is now $60.

Lew

I got a HF coupon in the mail today. Pancake compressor --$39.99. It's
yours for the asking! : )

Beginner question Dave Nay Woodworking 10 March 30th 06 03:25 AM
TIG or MIG for beginner ........NO QUESTION D Metalworking 15 June 3rd 05 01:47 AM
Compressor question : beginner jack Home Repair 0 November 1st 04 07:20 PM
Beginner's Question buck Woodturning 1 October 27th 04 07:29 AM
Easy Question I'm sure- Help a beginner... Heart Ignition Electronics 1 February 13th 04 02:13 AM