Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how do I remove chuck on dw 106 dewalt drill.

Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do not
know history. How can I remove chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Johnson" wrote:

Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see
screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do
not
know history. How can I remove chuck

Call DeWalt tech service during business hours.

They have an 800# and have been very useful.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Grip a large hex key in the chuck, and rap the arm with a brass mallet
(or equivalent); if there's no screw visible, probably this is a non-reversible
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 5:44:04 PM UTC-10, Bob Johnson wrote:
Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do not
know history. How can I remove chuck

--

http://dl.owneriq.net/6/6677a966-ef0...5f1bde3c73.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2014 1:39 AM, GeneT wrote:
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 5:44:04 PM UTC-10, Bob Johnson wrote:
Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do not
know history. How can I remove chuck

--

http://dl.owneriq.net/6/6677a966-ef0...5f1bde3c73.pdf

Ain't it amazing what information you can find in the owner's manual?

With it "frozen in max open condition" the OP is gonna need one large
hex key. In the meantime, I'm wondering if he'd have any success prying
the tips or fingers in the chuck back a bit.

Having a difficult time trying to figure out how they would get jammed
in the full open position and too lazy to walk out to the shop to noodle it.

Mayhaps a couple of sharp raps with a rubber mallet, etc. to the side of
the chuck would help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2014 10:44 PM, Bob Johnson wrote:
Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do not
know history. How can I remove chuck

Give it a healthy dose of penetrating oil and then try adjusting again
the next day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2014 1:24 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:44:04 PM UTC-7, Bob Johnson wrote:
Chuck will not adjust, is frozen in max open condition. Cannot see screw
and can see small hole in end of shaft. Just acquired drill and do not
know history. How can I remove chuck

--

Grip a large hex key in the chuck, and rap the arm with a brass mallet
(or equivalent); if there's no screw visible, probably this is a non-reversible
drill, and the chuck is right-hand-thread connected. So, looking into the
chuck's mouth, it comes off counterclockwise.

some chucks have a screw in the back jaws. Maybe only the reversing types.

Martin