Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trimming out doors and windows

I am trying to trim out the doors in a style from earlier times. I use plinth blocks (5 quarter by 4 about 7" tall), vertical columns (1x4) with flutes, and corner blocks ( 5 quarter 4x4 with daisy designs). The top is a 1x4 without decoration. The trick seems to be to get everything plumb and square - and with no gaps between the 7 pieces in the assembly. Possible?

My first attempt was to square the plinth blocks with the floor so that the tops of the plinths were truly horizontal. Then glue each plinth block, column, and corner square together - making a single column. Then install the two columns and finally fit in the top (horizontal) piece.

Never could get it without some gaps and fill required. Am I trying too hard? Is it possible in real life?

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting.....
Since the door is installed and the trim goes to that door, I would start at
the top.
Space the 1x4 and the decorator corners as to the door width.
I would hold in the side trims, and then measure and cut to fit the bottom
blocks.
Am I missing something?
Doors are usually one size, if not cut to fit opening.
Doors jambs are plumb to the door itself....
Or adjusted to fit the door.
If one size fits all, then I see a problem of not being able to cut the
bottom block.
Is a small space at the bottom, a shadow line, and problem also.....?
John
Oh, they sure look nice when finished.

"Len" wrote in message

I am trying to trim out the doors in a style from earlier times. I use
plinth blocks (5 quarter by 4 about 7" tall), vertical columns (1x4) with
flutes, and corner blocks ( 5 quarter 4x4 with daisy designs). The top is a
1x4 without decoration. The trick seems to be to get everything plumb and
square - and with no gaps between the 7 pieces in the assembly. Possible?

My first attempt was to square the plinth blocks with the floor so that the
tops of the plinths were truly horizontal. Then glue each plinth block,
column, and corner square together - making a single column. Then install
the two columns and finally fit in the top (horizontal) piece.

Never could get it without some gaps and fill required. Am I trying too
hard? Is it possible in real life?

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Len" wrote in message

I am trying to trim out the doors in a style from earlier times. I use
plinth blocks (5 quarter by 4 about 7" tall), vertical columns (1x4)
with
flutes, and corner blocks ( 5 quarter 4x4 with daisy designs). The top
is a 1x4 without decoration. The trick seems to be to get everything
plumb and square - and with no gaps between the 7 pieces in the
assembly.
Possible?

My first attempt was to square the plinth blocks with the floor so that
the tops of the plinths were truly horizontal. Then glue each plinth
block, column, and corner square together - making a single column.
Then install the two columns and finally fit in the top (horizontal)
piece.

Never could get it without some gaps and fill required. Am I trying too
hard? Is it possible in real life?

The only experience I have is with my own doors. I installed the casing,
fitted plinths and corners to that. That worked for me because I tiled up
to the plinths. In your case, I would do the plinths, then casing, fit
corner blocks to what is then there.

--

dadiOH

trimming masonite doors questions bent Woodworking 24 July 12th 16 11:44 PM
Trimming The Bottoms Of Doors Gary[_15_] Woodworking 10 August 9th 14 03:58 AM
Trimming Doors John UK diy 11 July 7th 06 12:37 PM
Trimming Bi-fold doors Stuart Holmes UK diy 1 February 15th 06 06:40 AM
Trimming Doors andrewpreece UK diy 11 November 15th 04 10:05 AM