Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trimming The Bottoms Of Doors

Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms off
several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh a ton
each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged and no
longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand planes, a
hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 10:07 PM, Gary wrote:
Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms off
several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh a ton
each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged and no
longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand planes, a
hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

A straightedge and a circular saw will do the trick.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 10:07 PM, Gary wrote:
Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms off
several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh a ton
each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged and no
longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand planes, a
hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

I didn't comprehend the tools you have available. Instead of a circular
saw, a straightedge and the router will work also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 9:07 PM, Gary wrote:

The tools I have available are hand planes, a hand planer...

No jig necessary. Scribe a line, roughly corresponding to the floor, and
plane to line.

If the concept of "scribing" to an uneven surface is not familiar, look
here, the concept is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIqQbsbwN4

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:20:24 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 8/7/2014 10:07 PM, Gary wrote:
Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms off
several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh a ton
each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged and no
longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand planes, a
hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

A straightedge and a circular saw will do the trick.

But he doesn't have a circular saw. A straightedge and a roudter will
do it if he has the right cutters.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/07/2014 9:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/7/2014 9:07 PM, Gary wrote:

The tools I have available are hand planes, a hand planer...

No jig necessary. Scribe a line, roughly corresponding to the floor, and
plane to line.

+1

This is presuming at least a jack plane or longer.

Ensuring the plane is sharp first is key, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 9:07 PM, Gary wrote:

The tools I have available are hand planes, a hand planer...

No jig necessary. Scribe a line, roughly corresponding to the floor, and
plane to line.

+1

This is presuming at least a jack plane or longer.

Ensuring the plane is sharp first is key, of course.

Depends how much end grain you are going to need to chop. A big-assed
router with the right cutter, run against a straight edge clamped to
the door would be the fastest if there is much tough end-grain
involved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary wrote in
:

Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms
off several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh
a ton each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged
and no longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand
planes, a hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

Think the screw trick might help? It's where a sagging door is fixed by
removing one of the top hinge screws and installing a long screw that
goes fully into the jack stud. It works wonderfully on prefab doors,
but may not work on a custom door like yours.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:38:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Think the screw trick might help? It's where a sagging door is fixed by

removing one of the top hinge screws and installing a long screw that

goes fully into the jack stud. It works wonderfully on prefab doors,

but may not work on a custom door like yours.

I would certainly try this first. If they worked correctly and had the right tolerances and reveals at one time, then they were simply hung wrong. I have hung a lot of solid wood doors as well as over sized doors. 4" hinges, an extra hinge and plenty of shims and attachments will handle any door.

If you go the screw route, choose a screw that is nearest to the center of the jamb to minimize deflection. Find a long screw, with a head large enough to just sit flush with the hinge. Here's a great trick I use to keep from splitting the jamb when you tighten down the screw: drill out the screw hole in the jamb wide enough to let the screw body slip through without hitting the sides of jamb. When the head makes contact with the hinge, it will spread the load across the hinge leaf and prevent splitting of the jamb.

If you have a lot to lift, then do this with a couple of screws on the jamb, and take up a little bit at a time with each screw until you get the door where you want it. A heavy door might pull out or strip one screw, but not two.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08 Aug 2014 03:38:37 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Gary wrote in
:

Hi,

Does any of you know of a jig I can use to cleanly trim the bottoms
off several interior doors? They are custom made, hardwood, and weigh
a ton each. The builders cut the tolerances too close; they sagged
and no longer clear the floor. The tools I have available are hand
planes, a hand planer, and a router.
I live in Costa Rica so I would have to fabricate the jig myself.

Many thanks,
Gary

Think the screw trick might help? It's where a sagging door is fixed by
removing one of the top hinge screws and installing a long screw that
goes fully into the jack stud. It works wonderfully on prefab doors,
but may not work on a custom door like yours.

....and/or a shim (a few sheets of paper or a piece of cardboard) under
the lower hinge. But you're right, if it's sagging, it's probably the
frame bending under the weight.

Painting Doors - Tops and Bottoms polygonum UK diy 7 September 2nd 12 01:34 PM
Trimming Doors John UK diy 11 July 7th 06 12:37 PM
Trimming Bi-fold doors Stuart Holmes UK diy 1 February 15th 06 06:40 AM
Trimming the bottoms of doors square. (w/pics) Leon Woodworking 6 February 3rd 06 05:13 PM
Trimming Doors andrewpreece UK diy 11 November 15th 04 10:05 AM