Posted to rec.woodworking
yes yes is offline

Default glass door for kitchen cabinet

I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single glass
door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial thought is
that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be better.
Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the years.
Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single door is
the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none with
glass.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2014 10:06 PM, yes wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single glass
door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial thought is
that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be better.
Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the years.
Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single door is
the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none with
glass.

Mayhaps Shakespeare, the Bard, said it best... "Much ado, about nothing..."

In our kitchen we have a single cabinet with a glass door. (accent piece
in the corner)

31" x 11.5" glass inset on a 2 3/8 rail/stile door. Three regular
hinges. Going on 11 years new and nary a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"yes" wrote:

I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single
glass
door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial
thought is
that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be
better.
Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the
years.
Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single
door is
the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none
with
glass.

Talk to your glass supplier for a specific glass type recommendation.

Once that's done, the rest of the job is in your wheelhouse.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:25:29 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Talk to your glass supplier for a specific glass type recommendation.

Once that's done, the rest of the job is in your wheelhouse.

Have fun.

Lew

Agree. The glass they recommend probably won't weigh more than a wood panel that would be in the door if it wasn't glass.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2014 10:06 PM, yes wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single glass
door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial thought is
that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be better.
Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the years.
Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single door is
the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none with
glass.

Built properly 2" rails and stiles are more than adequate. I build my
doors with a rabbet recess on the back side and my glass guy uses a
clear silicone based adhesive to attach the glass from the back side in
side that rabbet. The glass in the link below is Flemmish style and is
thicker than normal, 3/16" thick. If the glass is attached with an
adhesive the glass adds strength to the door frame. Our pantry cabinet
doors are 18" x 32". I would suggest using at least 3 hinges to handle
the added weight if the hinges are not strong to begin with. I used
Blum Euro style hinges and 2 was plenty. The pantry is 8' x 8'.

Here is the pantry and the back side of the door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Another sample with larger doors and thinner glass

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/7096671845/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09/03/2014 08:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Talk to your glass supplier for a specific glass type recommendation.

Just make sure you have an easy way to replace the glass should it get
broken down the line...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2014 12:43 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 09/03/2014 08:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Talk to your glass supplier for a specific glass type recommendation.

Just make sure you have an easy way to replace the glass should it get
broken down the line...

That is what your glass company is for. Let them put it in and replace
it should it ever break. It's what they do. ;~)