Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default glass door for kitchen cabinet

On 9/3/2014 10:06 PM, yes wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cabinet for my sister. She wants a single glass
door. With a 2.5" frame the glass will be ~14 x 35". My initial thought is
that size of glass will be fairly heavy and that 2 doors would be better.
Espically when all the (ab)use a kitchen cabinet door takes over the years.
Any thoughts? Maybe a 3 or 3.5" frame would be better if a single door is
the way to go. I've done plenty of cabinets and doors -- just none with
glass.

Built properly 2" rails and stiles are more than adequate. I build my
doors with a rabbet recess on the back side and my glass guy uses a
clear silicone based adhesive to attach the glass from the back side in
side that rabbet. The glass in the link below is Flemmish style and is
thicker than normal, 3/16" thick. If the glass is attached with an
adhesive the glass adds strength to the door frame. Our pantry cabinet
doors are 18" x 32". I would suggest using at least 3 hinges to handle
the added weight if the hinges are not strong to begin with. I used
Blum Euro style hinges and 2 was plenty. The pantry is 8' x 8'.

Here is the pantry and the back side of the door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Another sample with larger doors and thinner glass

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/7096671845/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/