Posted to rec.woodworking

Default photography for woodworkers

Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons from
actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph furniture
I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to dark. I need
some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for occasional photography
sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2014 1:01 PM, xxxx wrote:
Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons from
actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph furniture
I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to dark. I need
some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for occasional photography
sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.

On the driveway in front of your closed garage door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"xxxx" wrote in message
9.22
Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons
from actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph
furniture I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to
dark. I need some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for
occasional photography sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.

Leon's closed garage door would work, not very pretty though. There are
several ways you could make it prettier; here are a couple...

1. drape sheets or other material from it
2. buy a roll paper background

Paper rolls come up to at least 12' wide by 36' long. The length is so it
can be extended horizontally under the subject to give a seamless effect.
You would have to rig a couple of stands with a crosspiece to support the
roll. 2" PVC would support it OK, so would electrical conduit. Sand bags
are often used to weight down the stands.

Out of doors, just use the available light, picking the time of day when
it is best. Overcast days are easy, nice even light. It is easy to
augment the available light with reflectors to fill in or accent.
Crumpled aluminum foil stapled/taped to cardboard is all you need.
Mirrors work to but are harder to control.

Lighting inside is easy...100 watt bulbs should work fine. They would
give a harsh light but a white sheet suspended 3' - 4' in front will
soften it. You could also put them in inexpensive reflectors either to
use as direct light or to bounce light off the ceilings and/or walls.

In all cases, avoid front light. You want light from a direction so that
the shape of the object is delineated; use front light only to soften
shadows.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2014 3:06 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"xxxx" wrote in message
9.22
Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons
from actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph
furniture I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to
dark. I need some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for
occasional photography sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.

Leon's closed garage door would work, not very pretty though.

Now dog'gone'it my garage doors are purdy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 18:01:27 GMT, xxxx wrote:

Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons from
actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph furniture
I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to dark. I need
some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for occasional photography
sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7ife6jAL4#t=1180

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7ife6jAL4#t=1180

This was helpful. thx
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yeah - I know I could google it but I'd like to hear some real opinons from
actual woodworkers. I don't have a good place to photograph furniture
I've built. Garage is too messy, bed / living rooms are to dark. I need
some (cheap) lighting solution which would work for occasional photography
sessions for pieces I've built.
Home grown would be the cheapest. But I'd also consider buying an
inexpensive setup that works well.
Thanks.

Depending on the size some of John Jordan's tips may be useful.

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com...Your_Work.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

OT What are they called - photography question Nightjar UK diy 4 February 20th 11 04:13 PM
Welding photography Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 5 September 13th 10 12:47 AM
Black and white photography [email protected] UK diy 7 January 17th 06 09:50 PM
OT - Photography Cliff Metalworking 2 December 20th 05 04:32 PM
Digital Photography using up electrons =\\^.^/= Metalworking 17 September 1st 03 04:29 PM