Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing question

Building a dresser. It has a sort of panel and rail ends. Veneer ply, solid lumber construction.

The assembled panels fit into legs. The panels have a 3/8 rabbet on the back, the legs have grooves down the center.

I thought I was wise and refinished separately, the legs and panels. However, I failed to leave alone the part of the panel that fits into the groove. I used polyurethane.

It seems that I'm stuck. I want to glue the panels into the legs, but the top of the panels have this coat of poly (it's thin), the bottom is still raw. I can scrap/sand the solid rails, but curious about the ply. I'm afraid that I won't get down to raw ply without sanding through the veneer layer.

Here's the question - is there anyway to fix this? Is there a glue that will allow you to adhere two pieces of poly finished wood? A buddy and I think that perhaps we should pin nail from the back of the leg, of course scrap/sand the rails and do as best as we can on the plywood.

Suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:41:41 PM UTC-5, MJ wrote:
Suggestions would be most helpful.

I recently received some excellent instruction regarding epoxy, as an adhesive, and had/have excellent results. I don't see why epoxy wouldn't do the trick. Scratch the surfaces to be glued, for the epoxy to bite onto.... and/or drill some holes into the mating surfaces, for the epoxy to anchor into, in addition to the epoxy gluing the surfaces together.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:03:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:41:41 PM UTC-5, MJ wrote:
Suggestions would be most helpful.

I recently received some excellent instruction regarding epoxy, as an adhesive, and had/have excellent results. I don't see why epoxy wouldn't do the trick. Scratch the surfaces to be glued, for the epoxy to bite onto.... and/or drill some holes into the mating surfaces, for the epoxy to anchor into, in addition to the epoxy gluing the surfaces together.

Sonny

Polyurethane glue????
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2014 12:41 PM, MJ wrote:
[...]

Lay a line of masking tape to protect the surface that will be exposed
and sand the poly off. You have such a large glue surface there should
be no issues with the glue sticking.

Or if you have clearance on the inside use short screws and attach the
panels inside the rabbits. This is how I attach back panels to cabinets.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:41:41 -0700, MJ wrote:

I thought I was wise and refinished separately, the legs and panels.
However, I failed to leave alone the part of the panel that fits into
the groove. I used polyurethane.

I've *never* done anything that stupid! Yeah, right :-).

Last time I did it I used a hand scraper to remove the finish along the
edges. Just don't use a great big burr and go slow and careful.