Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band saw box gluing question

hello,

I have a question, when making a bandsaw box, how do you 'hide' then entry
cut into the box, but, with the width of the blade, how do you do that? I
mean, when I try to 'close' the entry, it deforms the box enough that the
geometry changes...
is there a trick on how to do it? or a special glue to use?

cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cyrille-
That is a good question. the answer lies at the very heart of band saw
box making. When you remove wood with the thickness of the saw blade
(the kerf) you also create matching sides that will fit together like a
key in a lock. When these sides are joined carefully together the join
can be practically invisible.
You are correct though that the box is permanently distorted. The lid
will fit only one way. One way to fix that is to make matching kerfs on
either side of the box, or make the design so symmetry is not
important. Another technique is to emphasize the entrance kerfs as
Ventura does in her drawered box designs.
Hope that helps- any more questions?
Donna Menke

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

I have a question, when making a bandsaw box, how do you 'hide' then entry
cut into the box, but, with the width of the blade, how do you do that? I
mean, when I try to 'close' the entry, it deforms the box enough that the
geometry changes...
is there a trick on how to do it? or a special glue to use?

cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oops- forgot to add that I use no special glue to join the sides of
boxes, just Titebond normal woodworking glue.
Donna Menke

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

I have a question, when making a bandsaw box, how do you 'hide' then entry
cut into the box, but, with the width of the blade, how do you do that? I
mean, when I try to 'close' the entry, it deforms the box enough that the
geometry changes...
is there a trick on how to do it? or a special glue to use?

cyrille

Wood expansion question Hax Planks Woodworking 3 March 5th 05 01:23 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Maybe a little OT - gluing plexiglass together Creamy Goodness Woodworking 2 September 5th 04 03:32 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM