Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Question

On 8/21/2014 11:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have built a plywood ramp, approx 2'x3' and a 4" rise
on one end.

Have primed everything with:

http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y

What I find interesting that it is oil based and still
available here in SoCal.

If this were 30 years ago, I'd get some gray oil
based porch and floor enamel and give it a finish
coat, but that was then and this is now.

What is a good porch and floor paint today.

This will be exposed to SoCal sun year around.

Thanks for the input.

Lew

pickup bed liner - spray or brush.

I used floor paint on my trailer bed (plywood) five or six years ago.
It's peeling off now.

But that's Texas sun...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com
Have built a plywood ramp, approx 2'x3' and a 4" rise
on one end.

Have primed everything with:

http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y

What I find interesting that it is oil based and still
available here in SoCal.

If this were 30 years ago, I'd get some gray oil
based porch and floor enamel and give it a finish
coat, but that was then and this is now.

What is a good porch and floor paint today.

This will be exposed to SoCal sun year around.

Thanks for the input.

Don't know if you can get it in California but I like Glidden's porch &
Floor polyurethane paint. It wears better than anything else I know of,
standard colors are grey & white. In Florida, Home Depot carries it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:25:00 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
What is a good porch and floor paint today. This will be exposed to SoCal sun year around.

I haven't had reason to use a porch paint, but, having seen this question before, I've always wondered why the gray deck paint, that is put on barge and boat decks, shouldn't be about the best. The gray "Battleship" paint used by the armed forces and other marine related services. As a deckhand, between semesters of school, we applied that Battleship gray paint on all exposed flooring type surfaces, on the dredge. It was/is non-slip, also. Maybe it's best only for those metal surfaces, though.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2014 11:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have built a plywood ramp, approx 2'x3' and a 4" rise
on one end.

Have primed everything with:

http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y

What I find interesting that it is oil based and still
available here in SoCal.

If this were 30 years ago, I'd get some gray oil
based porch and floor enamel and give it a finish
coat, but that was then and this is now.

What is a good porch and floor paint today.

This will be exposed to SoCal sun year around.

What I use:

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6874

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have primed everything with:
http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y
Lew

Is this stuff good for fascia boards above the soffit?
Can it be used alone or does it need a top coat of something else?

A few spots (3-4?) along my fascia are in need of touch up. Worn areas
are all less than 12" wide and 6-7" long. Last year they started to
swell a little towards the bottom so I figure they better get a coat
of something or they'll be needing replacement soon.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-08-22, Sonny wrote:

I haven't had reason to use a porch paint, but, having seen this
question before, I've always wondered why the gray deck paint, that
is put on barge and boat decks, shouldn't be about the best. The
gray "Battleship" paint used by the armed forces and other marine
related services.

And the "haze gray" color will help conceal your porch from gunnery
spotters when your house is just barely coming into visual range.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! BARBARA STANWYCK makes
at me nervous!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2014 9:58 AM, Casper wrote:
Have primed everything with:
http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y
Lew

Is this stuff good for fascia boards above the soffit?
Can it be used alone or does it need a top coat of something else?

A few spots (3-4?) along my fascia are in need of touch up. Worn areas
are all less than 12" wide and 6-7" long. Last year they started to
swell a little towards the bottom so I figure they better get a coat
of something or they'll be needing replacement soon.

`Casper

Most likely if your soffit is the Masonite type material and has begun
to swell water is probably getting to it from the top inside and or
through a seam along the fascia. Painting will most likely be a bandaid
covering an underlying problem. I constantly fought that problem with
out old home, it is a real PIA.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Most likely if your soffit is the Masonite type material and has begun
to swell water is probably getting to it from the top inside and or
through a seam along the fascia. Painting will most likely be a
bandaid covering an underlying problem. I constantly fought that
problem with out old home, it is a real PIA.

Understandably, but I have to ask... why in the world would anyone use a
masonite material for a soffit? That just seems dumb.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2014 1:07 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Most likely if your soffit is the Masonite type material and has begun
to swell water is probably getting to it from the top inside and or
through a seam along the fascia. Painting will most likely be a
bandaid covering an underlying problem. I constantly fought that
problem with out old home, it is a real PIA.

Understandably, but I have to ask... why in the world would anyone use a
masonite material for a soffit? That just seems dumb.

That was the standard material of choice of many builders during the
80's and 90's for millions of homes. The Masonite product was also
extensively used for siding, during that period, which also failed
miserably.

Hardy products was the solution and builders gradually went to that product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

That was the standard material of choice of many builders during the
80's and 90's for millions of homes. The Masonite product was also
extensively used for siding, during that period, which also failed
miserably.

Ok - must be a regional thing. It was completely surprising to me because
we see - or have seen, none of this use up here.

Hardy products was the solution and builders gradually went to that
product.

We don't use Hardy products for soffits up here. Or even for siding.
Again - must be a regional thing.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:12:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Leon wrote:

That was the standard material of choice of many builders during the
80's and 90's for millions of homes. The Masonite product was also
extensively used for siding, during that period, which also failed
miserably.

Ok - must be a regional thing. It was completely surprising to me because
we see - or have seen, none of this use up here.

Hardy products was the solution and builders gradually went to that
product.

We don't use Hardy products for soffits up here. Or even for siding.
Again - must be a regional thing.

My mother had Masonite crap on her house (built in the early '70s) in
central Illinois. I had cedar in Vermont but have had Hardi on both
of my houses down here. Some of it has to be replaced on this house.
It must be a really crappy installation job because the hose is only
seven years old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 22, 2014 8:23:32 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 8/21/2014 11:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

..

What I use:

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6874

That's the stuff, right there. Easy to apply, REALLY easy to renew. Apply one coat as primer after your ramp has dried out for a couple of weeks.. Then when dry, add a thick coat and broadcast some dry play sand in it. Then when that is dry, apply top coat.

Done.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

pickup bed liner - spray or brush.

I used floor paint on my trailer bed (plywood) five or six years
ago.
It's peeling off now.

But that's Texas sun...

So how long has the pickup bed liner been installed or
are you just suggesting it?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

pickup bed liner - spray or brush.

I used floor paint on my trailer bed (plywood) five or six years
ago.
It's peeling off now.

But that's Texas sun...

So how long has the pickup bed liner been installed or
are you just suggesting it?

I think he's suggesting the spray-on liner material. It's great stuff
(had it 13 years on my last truck and it was still as good as new) but
I don't know how well it would work on wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

pickup bed liner - spray or brush.

I used floor paint on my trailer bed (plywood) five or six years
ago.
It's peeling off now.

But that's Texas sun...

So how long has the pickup bed liner been installed or
are you just suggesting it?

Lew

Just suggesting at this time, Lew.
The paint is loose and flaking off.
When I can I'll strip the rest off and
spray with bedliner stuff.

It seems to last well on truck beds anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

pickup bed liner - spray or brush.

I used floor paint on my trailer bed (plywood) five or six years
ago.
It's peeling off now.

But that's Texas sun...

So how long has the pickup bed liner been installed or
are you just suggesting it?

I think he's suggesting the spray-on liner material. It's great stuff
(had it 13 years on my last truck and it was still as good as new) but
I don't know how well it would work on wood.

Hi K,

Yes, I was a bit brief, perhaps.

There was one fellow I met sprayed the bottom of a '46 Chris Craft 25
footer with it about 4 years back? The boat is still afloat, if that
means anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

Just suggesting at this time, Lew.
The paint is loose and flaking off.
When I can I'll strip the rest off and
spray with bedliner stuff.

It seems to last well on truck beds anyway.

You got my interest, so decided to check it out.

Here in SoCal, a quart of material is $44 including
sales tax.

A quart will provide enough for two (2) coats which
is recommended.

At this point have less than $25 invested in the project.

Must as I'm interested, just can't justify a $44 additional
cost to get a painted ramp.

Maybe I'll just sit on the project for a while.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

Just suggesting at this time, Lew.
The paint is loose and flaking off.
When I can I'll strip the rest off and
spray with bedliner stuff.

It seems to last well on truck beds anyway.

You got my interest, so decided to check it out.

Here in SoCal, a quart of material is $44 including
sales tax.

A quart will provide enough for two (2) coats which
is recommended.

At this point have less than $25 invested in the project.

Must as I'm interested, just can't justify a $44 additional
cost to get a painted ramp.

Maybe I'll just sit on the project for a while.

Lew

Aw, common, Lew.
It's a ramp - not a fence!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

You got my interest, so decided to check it out.

Here in SoCal, a quart of material is $44 including
sales tax.

A quart will provide enough for two (2) coats which
is recommended.

At this point have less than $25 invested in the project.

Must as I'm interested, just can't justify a $44 additional
cost to get a painted ramp.

Maybe I'll just sit on the project for a while.

It might be worth stopping by a local shop that does bed liner applications
Lew, and asking what they would charge to shoot your ramp while they're
doing a truck. Often times you can get them to do it for little to nothing
since all they really have to do is shoot it while they're already doing a
paying job.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

It might be worth stopping by a local shop that does bed liner
applications Lew, and asking what they would charge to shoot your
ramp while they're doing a truck. Often times you can get them to
do it for little to nothing since all they really have to do is
shoot it while they're already doing a paying job.

Over the years, have used that technique for several things including
galvanizing a boat anchor, anodizing a 15 ft whisker pole, glass bead
blasting a frozen gear pump, and machine shop work.

Sometimes a 12 pack, most times not, but that was then and this is
now.

These days not a workable option.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Over the years, have used that technique for several things including
galvanizing a boat anchor, anodizing a 15 ft whisker pole, glass bead
blasting a frozen gear pump, and machine shop work.

Sometimes a 12 pack, most times not, but that was then and this is
now.

These days not a workable option.

I guess that mostly depends on where you live. Around here - it's still a
very workable option, but I understand that things may be different in
different places. Then again - sometimes we just assume they are...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I guess that mostly depends on where you live. Around here - it's
still a very workable option, but I understand that things may be
different in different places. Then again - sometimes we just
assume they are...

The limitation is mine, not the potential suppliers.

"Artie" is a nasty *******.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote:

Just suggesting at this time, Lew.
The paint is loose and flaking off.
When I can I'll strip the rest off and
spray with bedliner stuff.

It seems to last well on truck beds anyway.

You got my interest, so decided to check it out.

Here in SoCal, a quart of material is $44 including
sales tax.

A quart will provide enough for two (2) coats which
is recommended.

At this point have less than $25 invested in the project.

Must as I'm interested, just can't justify a $44 additional
cost to get a painted ramp.

Maybe I'll just sit on the project for a while.

Lew

Just don't shift your backside too much or you are likely to get a
splinter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

What I use:

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6874

Turns out it is only sold in 5 gal buckets so it's back
to the drawing board since a quart get's this job done.

Thanks for trying.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:26:04 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

What I use:

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6874

Turns out it is only sold in 5 gal buckets so it's back

to the drawing board since a quart get's this job done.

Thanks for trying.

Lew

You know Lew, I never thought about that. I buy coatings in "fives" so much I don't stop to think about smaller amounts. So I looked at Sherwin Williams "Rexthane" another good product, and it only comes in singles (one gallon) and five gallon buckets.

Rustoleum industrial/commercial makes a good deck paint I have used and the same thing... singles and fives. Took to Google and can see why there aren't many quart offerings. They are almost as expensive as the gallon sizes for similar products!

Maybe you could find the smaller amounts in an upscale hardware store with a good paint shop like an ACE or something similar. I have used the ACE products with no complaints from me or my clients, but can't vouch for its longevity.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You know Lew, I never thought about that. I buy coatings in "fives"
so much I don't stop to think about smaller amounts. So I looked at
Sherwin Williams "Rexthane" another good product, and it only comes
in singles (one gallon) and five gallon buckets.

Rustoleum industrial/commercial makes a good deck paint I have used
and the same thing... singles and fives. Took to Google and can see
why there aren't many quart offerings. They are almost as expensive
as the gallon sizes for similar products!

Maybe you could find the smaller amounts in an upscale hardware
store with a good paint shop like an ACE or something similar. I
have used the ACE products with no complaints from me or my clients,
but can't vouch for its longevity.

Sherwin Williams suggested a latex based porch and deck paint;
however, they want to play the list price game.

The list price for a gallon is $57 which tells me the trade price is
about
$20-$25, but the local SW retail outlet would only extend a 10%
discount.

Mrs. Hodgett's little boy Lew ain't very smart about a lot of things,
but
he ain't no idiot either.

I can probably get the trade price but right now, it's not worth the
aggravation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2014 10:55 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Register with SW, you automatically always get a 10% discount and you
get e-mails sales for 24~30% off almost monthly

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:
Register with SW, you automatically always get a 10% discount and
you get e-mails sales for 24~30% off almost monthly

10%/30% doesn't get my attention.

Played the discount game most of my career.

If the first discount isn't at least 50%, you're not serious, IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2014 12:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:
Register with SW, you automatically always get a 10% discount and
you get e-mails sales for 24~30% off almost monthly

10%/30% doesn't get my attention.

Played the discount game most of my career.

If the first discount isn't at least 50%, you're not serious, IMHO.

Lew

I would think that getting the product on the surface might be more
important than an additional $13 savings on a gallon.... If you can
actually get that additional savings from a small purchase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I would think that getting the product on the surface might be more
important than an additional $13 savings on a gallon.... If you can
actually get that additional savings from a small purchase.

I've already got the primer applied.

The SW approach to the market just p**ses me off.

I used to call on them in Cleveland when they were known
for being cheap.

That might have something to do with it.

Lew