Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Master Craftsmen

Every endeavor has it's masters.

Today it was golf's turn to shine.

The PGA championship was played this week end.

The top players in the world competed and put on
a clinic how the game should be played.

Some of the shots made were marvels to observe.

In the end, Rory McIlroy, a 25 year old Irishman,
from Northern Ireland, won as darkness closed in on Valhalla,
a course located near Louisville, KY.

Last week McIlroy won on the "Monster", the south coarse
at Firestone, near Akron where Arnie, Jack, Gary. and the
Merry Mex, Lee Trivono competed during the 1960s.

Two weeks ago, McIlroy won the British Open.

IOW, he has won three (3) weeks in a row.

Think we are looking at a phenomenon here.

Many players play their entire career and don't win three (3)
tournaments.

Think this young man is something special.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:26:50 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Every endeavor has it's masters.

I tuned out about an hour before the tournament ended (went to eat out), thinking McIlroy (2 shots behind at -11 or -12, I think) and Mickelson (-11, I think) would not win. When I learned of the results (-16 won), I realized I missed a great ending. I wonder if my brother taped it!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/10/2014 8:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Every endeavor has it's masters.

Today it was golf's turn to shine.

The PGA championship was played this week end.

The top players in the world competed and put on
a clinic how the game should be played.

Some of the shots made were marvels to observe.

In the end, Rory McIlroy, a 25 year old Irishman,
from Northern Ireland, won as darkness closed in on Valhalla,
a course located near Louisville, KY.

Last week McIlroy won on the "Monster", the south coarse
at Firestone, near Akron where Arnie, Jack, Gary. and the
Merry Mex, Lee Trivono competed during the 1960s.

Two weeks ago, McIlroy won the British Open.

IOW, he has won three (3) weeks in a row.

Think we are looking at a phenomenon here.

Many players play their entire career and don't win three (3)
tournaments.

Think this young man is something special.

Turned it on about the 15th hole and sat, mesmerized, until the end. Not
a sports fan, but Golf seems to be about the only one left that actually
highlights individual effort without being saturated with some form of
corruption.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Turned it on about the 15th hole and sat, mesmerized, until the end.
Not a sports fan, but Golf seems to be about the only one left that
actually highlights individual effort without being saturated with
some form of corruption.

I thought only golfers could tolerate watching golf on TV. After all, it is
somewhat like watching paint dry (and only Leon could enjoy that...). I do
enjoy it because I pretend to play the game, so I tell people I am a
golfer - of sorts... Karl - you are the last person in the world I would
ever have suspected of sitting down to watch a rousing round of golf on a
Sunday afternoon...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2014 9:10 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Turned it on about the 15th hole and sat, mesmerized, until the end.
Not a sports fan, but Golf seems to be about the only one left that
actually highlights individual effort without being saturated with
some form of corruption.

I thought only golfers could tolerate watching golf on TV. After all, it is
somewhat like watching paint dry (and only Leon could enjoy that...). I do
enjoy it because I pretend to play the game, so I tell people I am a
golfer - of sorts... Karl - you are the last person in the world I would
ever have suspected of sitting down to watch a rousing round of golf on a
Sunday afternoon...

Reread what he wrote Mike, he did not watch a round of golf, only 4
holes. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Turned it on about the 15th hole and sat, mesmerized, until the end.
Not a sports fan, but Golf seems to be about the only one left that
actually highlights individual effort without being saturated with
some form of corruption.

I thought only golfers could tolerate watching golf on TV. After
all, it is somewhat like watching paint dry (and only Leon could
enjoy that...). I do enjoy it because I pretend to play the game,
so I tell people I am a golfer - of sorts... Karl - you are the last
person in the world I
would ever have suspected of sitting down to watch a rousing round
of golf on a Sunday afternoon...

Reread what he wrote Mike, he did not watch a round of golf, only 4
holes. LOL

yeahbut... for a non-golfer, I expect that seemed like a full round...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Turned it on about the 15th hole and sat, mesmerized, until the end.
Not a sports fan, but Golf seems to be about the only one left that
actually highlights individual effort without being saturated with
some form of corruption.

I thought only golfers could tolerate watching golf on TV. After
all, it is somewhat like watching paint dry (and only Leon could
enjoy that...). I do enjoy it because I pretend to play the game,
so I tell people I am a golfer - of sorts... Karl - you are the last
person in the world I
would ever have suspected of sitting down to watch a rousing round
of golf on a Sunday afternoon...

Reread what he wrote Mike, he did not watch a round of golf, only 4
holes. LOL

yeahbut... for a non-golfer, I expect that seemed like a full round...

;~)

I played varsity golf in school, 5 days a week every afternoon for 3
years, could only squeeze in 9 holes in the winter.

Prior when my friends and I were learning we would show up at sun up and
quit playing at sun down. 36 holes a day during the summer was the
minimum. It mostly depended on how fast the old timers were playing.

I pretty much quit playing 20 or so years ago as most of the courses
required a cart to speed up play. I hated riding a cart. There is
something about feeling the condition of the ground, the wind direction
around the area of your ball that just does not factor in when you fly
up to your ball on a golf cart. I played much better golf when walking
than when riding.

;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2014 9:10 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I thought only golfers could tolerate watching golf on TV. After all, it is
somewhat like watching paint dry (and only Leon could enjoy that...). I do
enjoy it because I pretend to play the game, so I tell people I am a
golfer - of sorts... Karl - you are the last person in the world I would
ever have suspected of sitting down to watch a rousing round of golf on a
Sunday afternoon...

Played the game socially in my younger years, and still enjoy going to a
driving range, but it has never been high on my list of pastimes.

Besides, waiting on dinner, and it smelled good from where I sat in
front of the TV ... Linda cooked pork chops, which other than boiling
water, is her highest kitchen accomplishment.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2014 8:55 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Team sports seem to attract corruption. Individuals going for a low
score to win rules most types of corruption.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2014 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Team $port$ $eem to attract corruption.

fify

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Every endeavor has it's masters.

Today it was golf's turn to shine.

The PGA championship was played this week end.

The top players in the world competed and put on
a clinic how the game should be played.

Some of the shots made were marvels to observe.

In the end, Rory McIlroy, a 25 year old Irishman,
from Northern Ireland, won as darkness closed in on Valhalla,
a course located near Louisville, KY.

Last week McIlroy won on the "Monster", the south coarse
at Firestone, near Akron where Arnie, Jack, Gary. and the
Merry Mex, Lee Trivono competed during the 1960s.

Two weeks ago, McIlroy won the British Open.

IOW, he has won three (3) weeks in a row.

Think we are looking at a phenomenon here.

Many players play their entire career and don't win three (3)
tournaments.

Think this young man is something special.

Indeed he is. As is Ricki Fowler and a small handful of others. The new
crop of players are indeed impressive to watch. Not sure whether to expect
them to equal what Tiger did as he came up through, but I think they face
more competition from within their own age ranks than previous generations
of Champions did as they came up through. There's a lot of very good young
golfers playing against each other right now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2014 9:03 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
but I think they face
more competition from within their own age ranks than previous generations
of Champions did as they came up through. There's a lot of very good young
golfers playing against each other right now.

Same with young musicians these days, many of them awesome, and
accomplished at a young age, beyond anything we had in my youth.

Many of us had to work to "pay for your keep" when young, and didn't
have the free time youngsters do today.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Indeed he is. As is Ricki Fowler and a small handful of others.
The new crop of players are indeed impressive to watch. Not sure
whether to expect them to equal what Tiger did as he came up
through, but I think they face more competition from within their
own age ranks than previous generations of Champions did as they
came up through. There's a lot of very good young golfers playing
against each other right now.

Back in the 1970s, I played a LOT of golf.

I consistently hit 240-250 off the tees while the pros were hitting
250-260.

Matter of fact, was given the nickname of "Gringo Gorilla" by the
caddies
in the Dominican Republic while on a trip there.

But alas, driving was the limit of my game and as the old saying goes,
you drive for show, but you putt for dough, and I didn't putt very
well.

What really blows my mind is how today's pros hit the ball.

In 1972, a pro would hit a drive 250-260.

Forty years later, pros like Bubba and McIlroy drive 350 yards and
hit a 9 iron 200 yards.

I'm certain some of this is due to physical conditioning, but that
doesn't
account for an almost 50% increase in stroke distance.

Haven't kept up with things since I quit playing, but upgrades in
equipment appear to be significant.

All these changes in capability means that "The Monster", #16, at
Firestone, a 627 yard par 5 has been reduced from a drive, a
fairway wood, and a short iron for position to an attempt for a birdie
putt,
to a drive, a fairway wood and a chip or even a putt for eagle.

It certainly is a different game being played today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

It certainly is a different game being played today.

Indeed it has!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

Physical conditioning has a lot to do with it but go to your local pro
shop and take a look at the woods. The woods/driver heads are mostly a
light weight alloy that more resembles the size of a large grape fruit
than an apple. By comparison the ball appears to be about 1/3 the width
of the face of the club.

If I were to start playing again I might be embarrassed to drag out my
small Titlist Driver. ;~)

Haven't kept up with things since I quit playing, but upgrades in
equipment appear to be significant.

I quit playing the first time in the early 70's and took it back up in
the mid to later 80's. I was amazed at the smorgasbord of brands of
clubs and the multi colored balls. Ping was relatively new.

Oddly I played better golf a few months after starting again some 15
years later than when I was playing daily when on the school team.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Physical conditioning has a lot to do with it but go to your local pro
shop and take a look at the woods. The woods/driver heads are mostly
a light weight alloy that more resembles the size of a large grape
fruit than an apple. By comparison the ball appears to be about 1/3
the width of the face of the club.

If I were to start playing again I might be embarrassed to drag out my
small Titlist Driver. ;~)

Hold off on that embarassement Leon. It appears that the latest move is
going back towards smaller driver heads. You might just have the latest and
greatest in your arsenal even as we speak...

I quit playing the first time in the early 70's and took it back up in
the mid to later 80's. I was amazed at the smorgasbord of brands of
clubs and the multi colored balls. Ping was relatively new.

Yup - prior to the early/mid 80's they were just a putter company. But
then...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/12/2014 10:17 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Physical conditioning has a lot to do with it but go to your local pro
shop and take a look at the woods. The woods/driver heads are mostly
a light weight alloy that more resembles the size of a large grape
fruit than an apple. By comparison the ball appears to be about 1/3
the width of the face of the club.

If I were to start playing again I might be embarrassed to drag out my
small Titlist Driver. ;~)

Hold off on that embarassement Leon. It appears that the latest move is
going back towards smaller driver heads. You might just have the latest and
greatest in your arsenal even as we speak...

I wonder if that is so because you almost need another bag just for the
woods? ;~)