Posted to rec.woodworking

Default seeking advise

looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 5:56 AM, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Assuming that all the bits are in good shape, that is $6 each for 50
bits. If you are like most of us, you will probably use no more than
20% of these which brings the price up to $30 each. Just some food for
thought.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:56:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits

They are likely worth $300, especially if you are going to use all of them. If you are not likely to use them often, then they may not be worth $300 to YOU.

Some of them are worth $25 each, bought new. Just make sure they are sharp, not dull or worn badly, and that the guide bearings work well, spin freely (not damaged).

Asking $300.... Make an offer of less and see where it goes.

I recently bought a comparable set (4 sets in custom cases, many unused), plus a set of Forstner bits (1/4" - 3 1/2") for $100 at a garage sale.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/07/2014 7:56 AM, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Is the green paint/coating Whiteside???? I've not bought anything
recently if they've done something new, but I thought that green was
Grizzly or some of the other imports...

I'd be careful...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 8:56 AM, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Depends on how you look at it. At $6 a bit, it is a great price.

How many will you actually use? I'd not buy a $75 bit set for a one
time small project, but I'd gladly pay $6 or $12 for a set.

Some of the bits may make a shape nice enough and unusual enough that
you'd make something just to use the bit. Can't put a dollar value on
inspiration even if it only cost you $6.

OTOH, if you only ever use three of them, it works out to $100 a bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Kinda reminds me of the old one--A couple were moving into a new
house. The man sent his wife to get a mail box. She came back with
two. "They were on sale".

--
 GW Ross

 A scheme is not a vision - Leonard
 Cohen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 8:56 AM, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Those are not whiteside, mostly woodcraft, and some freud.
only one or 2 whiteside...

Too much $$ for that.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 12:41:33 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 8/7/2014 9:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/7/2014 7:56 AM, wrote:

looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity
to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

There are some nice bits in there, but I'd pass, even though I do a lot
of routing.

Infallible rule: buy your router bits only as you need them. You won't
be spending money on bits you will never use.

This has been my rule for many years, but slightly expanded.

Never by any tool until you need it. If it appears that it is a one
time use by a cheap tool that you can throw away after one use. If you
see you are using it more than you though replace with the best you can
afford.

I agree WRT router bits (and other expendables) but not so much on
power tools. Early on, I couldn't afford expensive tools so bought
what I could. I had some real POS tools (mostly Crapsman and the
like) and they worked like it. However, I always put off replacing
them because, well, they sorta did what they were supposed to, if not
well. After several years of suffering with junk I decided I would
replace everything as I could afford to and *NEVER* buy a tool until I
could afford to buy what I really wanted. As I've gotten older the
price doesn't matter as much as the aggravation I had with the first
tools. I only wish I didn't even start with the junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2014 7:56 AM, wrote:
looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

Do you need them?

That is a deal if you will actually use 12 or more of them. If you end
up using 7~8 which may or may not be exactly what you need it may not a
great deal for YOU.

If it is a mix of brands I may also have duplicates that you may not
ever use.

And one last thing, unless they are NEW I probably would pass.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:53e37782$0$1631$c3e8da3
:

looking for advise on this set of router bits.......have opportunity to buy
set of 50 bits.....they are 1/2 inch mostly Whiteside, but some are
Freud......asking price is $300.00

http://s984.photobucket.com/user/che...?sort=3&page=1

I take it you haven't actually examined these bits hands-on yourself to verify the brand
names. If you do take the trouble to do that -- and I strongly advise you to, before spending
the money -- you will find that, in fact, very few (if any) of these bits are Whiteside, and not
more than one of them is Freud.

Visit the manufacturers' web sites to see what their bits actually look like:
whitesiderouterbits.com
freudtools.com

Freud bits are painted or powder-coated red. Whiteside bits are not painted at all. No way
are these bits "mostly Whiteside".

Nearly all router bits will have the manufacturer's (or vendor's) name on the shank; in
particular, real Freud or Whiteside bits will say Freud or Whiteside. Woodcraft, Rockler,
Woodline, Grizzly, and Hickory almost surely don't manufacture the bits they sell -- but they
do put their names on them.

Looking at the photos, I see one bit that's probably a Freud, two that are probably CMT,
maybe five or six that might be Whiteside -- and a whole lot from Grizzly.