Posted to alt.home.repair

Default seeking advise for shed project

Planning to build a 10' X 12' storage shed and have some questions....Right
now just want to work out plan for foundation...I want to construct this
thing so that the floor sits about 1 foot above the ground level. Do not
want to pour a concrete slab, and want a solid quality job. Here is what I'm
thinking of doing. Oh one other thing, frost line here is 42"......I was
thinking to cut treated 4 x 4's to 60" then dig down 48" into ground at
each corner, then cementing them leaving 1' of post above ground. I plan to
then put 4 x 4 posts every 4' so 12' sides would have 4 posts and I guess
just 3 posts for 10' sides with just one post in center. then bolting 2
treated 2 x 6's to posts, the top ones would be the outside floor joists.
Then using 10' 2 x 6's every 16" for rest of the floor joists. then 3/4
plywood floor. Does this seem like reasonable plan? and could I get by with
crushed rock instead of cement for 8 non corner posts and using shorter
lengths, like 36" with just 2' in ground? Thanks, any help appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds reasonable. FWIIW, a couple of years back, I wanted to put a
deck on the back of my house. Needed it close to the ground -- maybe
12" off, at most, as doors on to it were just above ground level/one
step. I put in 4"x4" posts about 36" deep, resting on concrete pads.
Then filled with dirt. Cut posts off to desired height, and using deck
hangers, built a grid of 2' x 4' stringers, and decked this over.
Local code (Lancaster, PA) required holes to be 36" or more deep, and
on concrete pads. Glad I did, as a year or so later, I put a hot tub
on the deck, added a fence, and I needed the load bearing capabilities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I've had no trouble at all over the past 10 years with a floating floor.
Its just a framework of treated 2x4's on edge that sits on the ground and
then covered with plywood. I don't think the plywood is even treated. Heck
of a lot less work. Its in Minnesota, so frost issues should be the same as
yours.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I would think the wood would be a goner in a few years. You might consider
sonotubes.

Here's an alternate idea:
Post-hole dig down 4', put a 2' sonotube in the hole such that it stick up
one foot, drop some rebar down the hole and fill the thing with concrete.
After it sets a bit, poke some bolts in the concrete with which to mount
your foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 3:18*pm, wrote:
[...]

Im in a zone 5 area thats gotten to -22f, maybe 36" freeze depth, the
small premaid sheds with floor at menards, HD are made to rest on
about 15 concrete blocks off the ground. My neighbors and I did them
that way. For such a small buiding I dont see the need for what you
plan, plus its alot more work and money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:08:52 -0500, "HeyBub"

[...]

Good idea. Couple a samples he

http://www.allinonefoundationrepair....%20Footing.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 4:18�pm, wrote:
[...]

animals move in under shed, concrete much better choice.

you could build a one block high wall around permiter then pour floor.

why dont you want concrete?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Bet the guy in the blue hat was strategically selected with crawlspaces
in mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:50:43 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

animals move in under shed, concrete much better choice.

you could build a one block high wall around permiter then pour floor.

One block in the footer, then what another course, before he pours.
Gotta have footer, right? So he would need a footer and two courses of
block, soil and compaction before the pour? Just checkin'

why dont you want concrete?

Maybe allergic to work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:35:56 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Maybe so. He would be my first called upon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 10, 4:18�pm, wrote:
[...]

Don't know if this applies to OP, but around here, putting it on a
concrete foundation makes it a 'permanent' building as far as the tax
man is concerned, and can raise your assessment for property taxes. But
aside from that, a concrete foundation is the best way to go, as long as
you are sure you'll never want to move the thing.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 3:18*pm, wrote:
[...]

Your idea sounds good.

You might think about putting some of those galvanized holders into
the corners that you concrete and bolting the 4 x 4's onto them.

It would use a lot less wood and the wood would not have direct
contact with the ground.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Im in a zone 5 area thats gotten to -22f, maybe 36" freeze depth, the
small premaid sheds with floor at menards, HD are made to rest on
about 15 concrete blocks off the ground. My neighbors and I did them
that way. For such a small buiding I dont see the need for what you
plan, plus its alot more work and money.

I've got my motorcycle in a shed supported on such blocks and it's as
solid as can be. Of course, I don't live where the wind is likely to
carry it off. Frankly, I got mine built with floor joists 12" on center
so it would carry the weight of the bike without complaint. The shed's
quite stout.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WhiteTea" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 3:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Your idea sounds pretty good but it seems like overkill to me for a 10X12
shed....My 10X10 shed is built on 6X6 pressure treated skids setting on
blocks about 18 inches off the ground with vinyl lattace around it..Been a
few years now and it's still pretty pretty level..No rott , ect..Don't know
about your area but here in Maine if your shed is 100 Square feet or
less(10X10) and NOT on a foundation there is no permit , fees or setbacks ,
ect. and NO tax increase..FWIW....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know concrete foundation is best way to go, but am wanting a way to build
this thing that I can do by my self. I don't have anyone I can impose on to
help, so would have to pay someone.....and more cost would be
difficult....The other idea I had was to build on blocks...and not sure what
is best way of doing this...I am positioning this thing in location where I
have poor drainage..heavy spring rains can result in several inches of water
in this area. I thought of digging out sod about 6" or so deep by 12" wide?
and filling with crushed limestone stuff.....compacting/leveling then
laying blocks on top and building shed on top of this...does this sound
feasible? would I cement the blocks together? also Andy I do not know what
you mean when you say galvanized holder into the corners that you concrete
and bolting the 4 x 4's onto them? can you explain please. I am in Michigan
and here there is no permit required as long as shed is under 200 sq ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 4:08�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

your foundation.- Hide quoted text -

To dovetail on thatidea, instead of waiting for the concrete to set up
for a while, why not set a long rod into the concrete when it is
poured, having it protrude a bit, and set the plates on that? If you
use threaded rod, you can use a nut to secure the 2x4 plate.

In order to get the rod to stand straight, it can be screwed into a
small wood or plastic block. If it shifts while pouring, grab the end
that sticks out and straightn it, or even tie it off from a couple
side. It would be a very stable anchor for the plate. You could even
countersink the nut with the appropriate sized spade bit, and cut off
the excess theaded rod if you have any sticking over the plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I built an 8 x 12 shed on two rows of precast pier blocks, sitting on
leveled dirt. Put a 4 x 4 stringer on each row, then 2 x 6 joists, then
3/4" plywood floor. It was quick and easy, and hasn't deteriorated at
all in 20 years.

Must be nice to have stable soil like like that. In this neighborhood,
the thing would move every winter. And the little animals would be
lining up to move in underneath it. I'm lucky that the tax assessor in
this township is lazy. Previous Owner put the shed on a slab in an
abandoned dog pen. Works pretty well. Or maybe it doesn't count as a
foundation if it is dropped on an existing slab that is bigger than the
shed, or something. It does get a little damp inside in wet weather, but
it is a metal shed, and I don't store anything in there that is too
fussy about moisture.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I know concrete foundation is best way to go, but am wanting a way to build
this thing that I can do by my self. I don't have anyone I can impose on
help, so would have to pay someone.

Understood.

difficult....The other idea I had was to build on blocks...and not sure
what
is best way of doing this...I am positioning this thing in location where
have poor drainage..heavy spring rains can result in several inches of
water

I was going to ask that. How's your drainage. I'd go with a buried
cinderblock design and gravel fill then posts in the holes.

in this area. I thought of digging out sod about 6" or so deep by 12"
wide?
and filling with crushed limestone stuff.....compacting/leveling then
laying blocks on top and building shed on top of this...does this sound
feasible?

Yes.

would I cement the blocks together? also Andy I do not know what

Yes, I would but I'm looking a a pillar type of construction, not a solid
wall. This due to drainage. The only other part, is I'm not sure if just 1
center post will be sufficient. I'm thinking 2 about 1/3 way in (center)
might be better over time. Especially if you plan anything remotely heavy
in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I know concrete foundation is best way to go, but am wanting a way to build
this thing that I can do by my self. I don't have anyone I can impose on
help, so would have to pay someone.....

I understand that desire.

I am in the planning process for a small shed myself. In my case there is
no way to get a concrete truck anywhere near the site and that is way to
much to mix by hand.

While I have not done the math yet to determine the exact specs, my initial
plans are to dig 4 maybe six 18" round holes and pour at least 12" of
concrete into each so that the 4 pads are level. If needed I may add an
extra one on each side where the rim joists will be.

Then I plan to mortar set (final leveling) one of those precast deck post
bases that you buy at the BORG. Frame up the floor using PT lumber
supported by those bases, cover with deck boards, frame up the walls and
roof it.

The last time I built one of these I just set PT 4x4 posts in concrete and
built from there since I was building over an old blacktop driveway. Not
sure I trust this new PT stuff for ground rated contact hence the modified
plan. Also this time I need a floor.

The hardest part is going to be achieving level for all the footer holes.

Building codes do not apply to such a small "non-permanent", movable
structure here. Make sure you are okay on that score.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 5:15�pm, wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:21:27 -0400, "Colbyt"

wrote:
wrote in message
m...
I know concrete foundation is best way to go, but am wanting a way to build
this thing that I can do by my self. I don't have anyone I can impose on
help, so would have to pay someone.....

I understand that desire.

I am in the planning process for a small shed myself. �In my case there is
no way to get a concrete truck anywhere near the site and that is way to
much �to mix by hand.

I am not sure about what it is like in the frozen north but here in
Florida concrete pumps are everywhere and not real busy right now. You
can get one to pump for $50-75. Sure beats a wheelbarrow.
I would pour the floor as a monoslab footer and pour an apron in front
of the door location while he was there. Think about where else you
want some concrete and do it too. If you order a "safe" amount, you
will usually have some left over. It is easy to drag that pump hose
somewhere else to use the rest.,

or rental places have a powered concrete mover, or even a small
trailer loaded with concrete.

concrete is nearly always the best floor and lasts forever.......

remember too wway too many regret not making their shed
larger.........

never met a single person who complained I made it too big.........

consider larger, it costs just a little more and can be very useful
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Depends, around here we pay pretty stiff school taxes charged according
to property valuation. Small sheds that are not on a permanent
foundation are exempt. Go a little bigger and you will find yourself
paying an extra $300/year in taxes.

This is especially true after the last assessment where they were very
aggressively trying to put a value on anything so they could tax it.

consider larger, it costs just a little more and can be very useful

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 7:43*pm, "benick" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

On Jul 10, 3:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

I just figured that the gentleman wanted a nice heavy duty structure.

Didn't know that Maine was such a "taxing" state. :-)

I live in Pearland, Texas.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

wrote:
[...]

I built a 12x20 shed ten years ago and lived in it while I built my
house.

I dug cinder blocks down to hard clay and leveled them with sand. The
floor is PT 2x6 supported by the cinder blocks along the outside walls
and down the centre, covered with 3/4" tongue and grove plywood.

It's standard 2x4 construction, insulated, with 8 ft walls and trusses
for the roof, sheathed with 1/2" aspenite and vinyl siding. It has
survived windstorms strong enough to break down trees next to it. It
was insulated because it got too cold to stay in it when the temps
dropped below -40 deg. (That is a minus)

Unless you are on a swamp there is no need for piles below the frost
line with a building that size. It will move fairly evenly with the
frost without any damage. My house is built on thirty three, twenty
foot piles but that's another story.

I'm in a location where the frost goes down five or six feet. The shed
is as solid as the day it was built and short of a tornado hit will
likely outlast me.

I store all my junk including a garden tractor in it.

Why do you want it a foot above the ground? I purposely kept mine as
low as I could to make it easier to move things in and out.

Bottom line, it's just a shed. Take a look at what the box stores call
a shed then ask yourself how deep to dig the piles.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WhiteTea77581" wrote in message

,
ect. and NO tax increase..FWIW....

I just figured that the gentleman wanted a nice heavy duty structure.

Didn't know that Maine was such a "taxing" state. :-)

I live in Pearland, Texas.

Andy

Maine is the NUMBER ONE TAXED STATE in the country...Also number one in
STUPID NANNY laws....A state run by the moonbat libs....