Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ratcheting screwdriver, ever break or wear out one?

I'm talking about a typical ratcheting screwdriver like one that has
a hex bit holder on the end. I've done some research/shopping, I've
seen many different brands. Talking about the ratcheting screwdrivers
priced from $8-$30.

How much force can be applied when turning it in the working
direction, without doing any damage whatsoever?

How long would it last if it were spun in the reverse direction? The
direction that makes it click.

Is there going to be much difference between $8 and $30 models in
those respects?

I intend to put them to the test. So I'm just wondering if it's in
the ballpark to think that they can take all the force most of our
hands put on them when using them to drive nuts or screws. And also
that turning them in the reverse direction so they spin/click freely
does no harm no matter how long you were to do that.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
I'm talking about a typical ratcheting screwdriver like one that has
a hex bit holder on the end. I've done some research/shopping, I've
seen many different brands. Talking about the ratcheting screwdrivers
priced from $8-$30.

I would just buy a Craftsman, if available for your needs, and
be done with it. If you go cheaper than that,
then you will probably live to regret your purchase! : )

How much force can be applied when turning it in the working
direction, without doing any damage whatsoever?

How long would it last if it were spun in the reverse direction? The
direction that makes it click.

Is there going to be much difference between $8 and $30 models in
those respects?

I intend to put them to the test. So I'm just wondering if it's in
the ballpark to think that they can take all the force most of our
hands put on them when using them to drive nuts or screws. And also
that turning them in the reverse direction so they spin/click freely
does no harm no matter how long you were to do that.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:lp2qb6$357$2@dont-
email.me:

[...]

I've seen a few break. On the ones I have, it's usually a band clamp
that's holding a ball bearing on the bit holder that comes off first.
After that the tool becomes annoying to use and for my purposes, useless.

Sometimes ratcheting tools won't catch, or the ratcheting mechanism only
turns back a little bit. Running such a tool backwards excessively is a
good way to see the first failure mode.

As for your price range, there's no guarantee of better quality at the $30
end of the scale vs the $8 end. You're well within the range of "other
considerations" driving up price. Sometimes it's the brand name, the store
selling the tool, or even just the color. There's likely to be a quality
difference, but it's not certain.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 05:39:50 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

Here's a couple examples ..

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,70372

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...411,43417&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've still got a 35+ rear old (wood handled) one around thet
generally works pretty good when you get the little slider in the
right position, and I've pitchead a good half dozen cheap Chinese
plastic handled ones that have stripped, jammed, and failed in just
about any way you could imagine. A good one will take all the torque
your wrist will give it, or more than a #10 screw will stand. A cheap
one will just bust your knuckles.

Good and cheap don't necessarily have any relation to cost, athough
good ones are seldom "cheap" and cheap ones are seldom "good"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Anything Lee Valley carries will be, at the very least, decent. The
Wera is a good screwdriver but I suspect slightly overpriced, being a
German import. The Rollgear should be good value for the money. The
Wera is a 44 tooth ratchet, the Rollgear is a roller sprague
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Off topic ... here's one that's a little different -
- a Wera ratchet - that's also a hammer !

http://www.wera.de/catalog_de.html?L...ts_koloss.html

When the Wera rep first mentioned it - I thought he was joking !
Nope.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good for knocking out sticky bolts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

I've a snap-on ratchet screwdriver. Magnetic holder takes hex bits. Still
going strong after about 30 years and it is well used.
You get what you pay for.
Reminds me of a little tale from the '70's. Snap-On has lifetime guarantee.
The rep used to call on us a couple of times a month. An aged mechanic here
thought he's have a game with the rep. He had two 1" drive socket wrenches.
Both pre WWII and both broken (stripped gears).
He presented these to the snap-on rep and asked what could be done. Rep said
'leave them with me for a couple of weeks'. On return the mechanic was given
two brand new replacements. I understand one of the old wrenches is now on
display in a museum.
As I say, you get what you pay for.
Nick.