Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Folding Chair pics, especially for CSonny

Two years ago I went to the Old-Tyme Music Festival in Great Plains, MO
and returned here describing a folding chair I saw there. CSonny, and
some others, expressed some interest in the chair at that time, so I
went back last weekend and returned with pictures this time. No one
present would take credit for building the chair I found (they were
using it), but they allowed me to take pictures. When I first saw it two
years ago, 3 different models of the chair were being sold--a
"double-wide" and a "rocker", IIRC, in addition to one like the one in
my photos.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Maybe it's a familiar design (but, it's not to me)? I hope you like it.
Someone used their noodle in coming up with the design...

Cheers,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 27, 2014 1:25:24 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
my photos.
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill. Interesting. I'll study the photos more closely.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 27, 2014 1:25:24 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
my photos.
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm
Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill. Interesting. I'll study the photos more closely.

Sonny

You're welcome, Sonny. The Grizzly store in Springfield was less than
2 miles off of the highway too...a lot of cool toys! : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:25:24 PM UTC-7, Bill wrote:
Two years ago I went to the Old-Tyme Music Festival in Great Plains, MO

and returned here describing a folding chair I saw there. CSonny, and

some others, expressed some interest in the chair at that time, so I

went back last weekend and returned with pictures this time. No one

present would take credit for building the chair I found (they were

using it), but they allowed me to take pictures. When I first saw it two

years ago, 3 different models of the chair were being sold--a

"double-wide" and a "rocker", IIRC, in addition to one like the one in

my photos.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Maybe it's a familiar design (but, it's not to me)? I hope you like it.

Someone used their noodle in coming up with the design...

Cheers,

Bill

Would have been best to get a good side shot while it was fully open and also half folded so you could easily see the configuration. I suppose it can be reverse engineered from the front picks but not as easily.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

If I had posted a SU drawing, there wouldn't be any fun left. ; ) It's
all there.... My wife used her camera. It was hard enough to get her
to do what she did! Bear in mind, she didn't know what she was supposed
to be taking pictures of. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Two years ago I went to the Old-Tyme Music Festival in Great Plains, MO
and returned here describing a folding chair I saw there. CSonny, and some
others, expressed some interest in the chair at that time, so I went back
last weekend and returned with pictures this time. No one present would
take credit for building the chair I found (they were using it), but they
allowed me to take pictures. When I first saw it two years ago, 3
different models of the chair were being sold--a "double-wide" and a
"rocker", IIRC, in addition to one like the one in my photos.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Maybe it's a familiar design (but, it's not to me)? I hope you like it.
Someone used their noodle in coming up with the design...

Cheers,
Bill

Looks like a TV dinner tray that somebody added a back to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

you should have put a pair of shoes on the chair : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Notice that all of the pieces rotate about one central "spindle".
Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:
Bill wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

I showed her our comments. She said that a puppy or a handmade guitar
on it would have gotten me better pictures.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

Notice that all of the pieces rotate about one central "spindle".

Not correct. What appears to be one spindle all of the way through is
actually cut in two places. This allows the legs to fold out in a
"sawhorse" type of action, or like a big x. That is a small detail that is
the key to the design.

The seat portion is actually in two pieces, and forms only when the x is
brought into its open position, and the back half of the seat is rotated up.

What would have been most valuable, is a video of the opening and closing
sequence in addition to the pictures. Next year perhaps? g

I will probably try to duplicate this in the next couple months, but do not
have time to try at the moment. Very clever design.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:

"Bill" wrote

Notice that all of the pieces rotate about one central "spindle".

Not correct. What appears to be one spindle all of the way through is
actually cut in two places. This allows the legs to fold out in a
"sawhorse" type of action, or like a big x. That is a small detail
that is the key to the design.

The seat portion is actually in two pieces, and forms only when the x
is brought into its open position, and the back half of the seat is
rotated up.

What would have been most valuable, is a video of the opening and
closing sequence in addition to the pictures. Next year perhaps? g

I will probably try to duplicate this in the next couple months, but
do not have time to try at the moment. Very clever design.

Thank you for your analysis. As no one is trying to keep it a secret,
I'm surprised the design is not more well-known. If nothing more, I've
proved that I actually saw the chair I described 2 years ago! Maybe not
as clearly as you see it.... : ) By the way, opening and closing the
chair is practically effortless, as it should be. However, it is not
what I would call light-weight. I think it's heavier than it appears.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
ChairMan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

well if shoes don't do it for her, you got a keeper then
bg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

Thank you for your analysis. As no one is trying to keep it a secret, I'm
surprised the design is not more well-known. If nothing more, I've proved
that I actually saw the chair I described 2 years ago! Maybe not as
clearly as you see it.... : ) By the way, opening and closing the chair
is practically effortless, as it should be. However, it is not what I
would call light-weight. I think it's heavier than it appears.

I thought about the weight, too. It does look very heavy.

I think the big attractiveness is that it is cheap (compared to folding
metal chairs) and easy to build. Also very stackable. I can imagine 6 or
so guys getting together and building a few hundred of those in a day or
two... If they did some good production techniques, and had the room for
all of the stock. Just what you need if you are putting on a music festival
or something like that.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

Thank you for your analysis. As no one is trying to keep it a secret, I'm
surprised the design is not more well-known.

After looking at it again, the break in the central axle is after the 3rd
member counting from the outsides. The 4th and 5th members are then on
their own axle that is one piece.

The back portion of the seat sliding forward against the front part of the
seat is also what keeps the "x" from spreading out too far when you sit on
it. Really clever.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:

"Bill" wrote

Thank you for your analysis. As no one is trying to keep it a
secret, I'm surprised the design is not more well-known.

After looking at it again, the break in the central axle is after the
3rd member counting from the outsides. The 4th and 5th members are
then on their own axle that is one piece.

The back portion of the seat sliding forward against the front part of
the seat is also what keeps the "x" from spreading out too far when
you sit on it. Really clever.

So that "handle" on the back of the chair is helping to hold the whole
contraption together (without it, the chair would fall apart?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

So that "handle" on the back of the chair is helping to hold the whole
contraption together (without it, the chair would fall apart?)

I wouldn't say that. Most all of the pieces have stiffness that keep things
pulled together. Also, down lower than the main top axle, there is a dowel
that holds the pivot where the x of the legs are formed. That in turn holds
the split in the main axle together, and provides most of the missing
strength lost at the split.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:

"Bill" wrote

So that "handle" on the back of the chair is helping to hold the
whole contraption together (without it, the chair would fall apart?)

I wouldn't say that. Most all of the pieces have stiffness that keep
things pulled together. Also, down lower than the main top axle,
there is a dowel that holds the pivot where the x of the legs are
formed. That in turn holds the split in the main axle together, and
provides most of the missing strength lost at the split.

I think I almost get it. Please post some decent pics after you build
one! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

He can get them in two years time when he goes next.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

This is essentially a small folding rendezvous table that has two outside
members added to the central shaft. The backrest is attached to one end of
these members, and a cross bar to the other. You unfold the table and then the
backrest is raised into place. The crossbar rests against the lower part of the
X legs, hitting just past true vertical so the backrest leans back a bit. These
tables are very handy. I have one that also has a folding bottom shelf and a
couple others that double as footrests or water cooler stands.

Here's a link for the table plans. Just add the backrest assembly and Bob's
your uncle. Popular Woodworking and/or Wood also published an article and
plans a few years back.

http://paleotool.com/plans-projects-...rns/furniture/

For many years slat tables and chairs like the one seen in Bill's first picture
were made at a school for the handicapped in Missouri. I still have one table
and two chairs made at this school 30 years ago. The slat construction is not
authentic according to most sources I have seen, but they do make great plate
drying racks.

Regards,
Roy

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 02:25:24 -0400, Bill wrote:

Two years ago I went to the Old-Tyme Music Festival in Great Plains, MO
and returned here describing a folding chair I saw there. CSonny, and
some others, expressed some interest in the chair at that time, so I
went back last weekend and returned with pictures this time. No one
present would take credit for building the chair I found (they were
using it), but they allowed me to take pictures. When I first saw it two
years ago, 3 different models of the chair were being sold--a
"double-wide" and a "rocker", IIRC, in addition to one like the one in
my photos.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Maybe it's a familiar design (but, it's not to me)? I hope you like it.
Someone used their noodle in coming up with the design...

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

I haven't heard any other music lover's pipe-up about going! Admission
is free.
I mainly go to hear old time fiddle, and Grizzly (Springfield, MO) is
only 2 miles off the interstate about 50 miles away.

Folding Chair Plans Snog Woodworking 7 January 29th 08 06:25 AM
FOLDING DIRECTOR''S CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 07:54 AM
FOLDING CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 07:52 AM
FOLDING ARM CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 January 1st 06 04:25 AM
Folding Chair Rack [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 10th 05 04:44 AM