Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How hard to rehab an old jointer?

While glancing through the local craigs list I somewhat regularly see
old jointers for sale (sans motor and stand) for $50 or so:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...534317278.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...508550957.html

Of course it depends on the particular instance, but in general, how
hard is to get something like that working again?

If you were looking at one of these, what should one keep an eye out
for?

Where would one look for blades, motor, belt, etc.?

[I realize that I'd probably be way ahead in both hours and dollars to
get a minimum-wage evening/weekend job for a month or two and just buy
a new jointer.]

There are frequently even ones _with_ motor and stand for less than
$100 (almost always old Craftsman units):

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...533498002.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...501402373.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...511117283.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...463665166.html

I love the stand on this one:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...532109093.html

P.S. to CL posters:

For pete's sake look up the difference between "joiner" and
"jointer" when trying to sell either. Kids these days... mumble...
mumble.

P.P.S. to same:

It's spelled "planer" -- WITH ONE 'N'. [I don't know what I'll do if
Usenet and mailing lists get replaced by those awful web-forums. Do
they run all posts on those through some sort of automated tool that
mucks up the spelling, grammar, and punctuation? Do you get kicked
out if you use complete sentences or your real name?]

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I have read the
at INSTRUCTIONS ...
Posted to rec.woodworking

I, too, am a CL lurker and found a decent Jet 8-inch jointer there about 8 years ago. IIRC, I paid about $150 for it. The motor died about 2 years later and I got a new replacement (not Jet) for less than $100. My jointer works fine for my purposes, although I think its time for me to learn how to remove the blades for sharpening (and then get them back where they belong).

Larry

PS: Yes, CL is a daily entertainment venue when one considers the various permutations of tool names.

On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:08:37 PM UTC-5, Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:08:37 PM UTC-5, Grant Edwards wrote:
While glancing through the local craigs list I somewhat regularly see

old jointers for sale (sans motor and stand) for $50 or so:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...534317278.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...508550957.html

If you can get an old working Craftsman for 80 bucks (and you can make a lower offer), you might be set. If the motor dies on you, having a name brand (the other poster mentions Jet) means you will more likely be able to replace the motor. I really don't know how much reconditioning you will need to do on these. You can get the blades sharpened for less than 20 bucks. They come off with an allen wrench and are a little tricky to get back on correctly, but it's certainly do-able. They will rust a little bit, but that's easy to take care of.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Grant Edwards" wrote

If you were looking at one of these, what should one keep an eye out
for?

Shaft bearings nice and tight, quiet and smooth. Most are.

Look at the ways where the moveable table goes up and down, make sure it is
not rusted up, and in good shape.

Move the infeed table all of the way up to the same height as the outfeed.
Get the straightest straight-edge you can find and make sure it touches on
the whole length of both tables. If it does not, walk away. It is not
worth trying to fix that, and if you do not, it is un-useable.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:11:12 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Grant Edwards" wrote

If you were looking at one of these, what should one keep an eye out
for?

Shaft bearings nice and tight, quiet and smooth. Most are.

Look at the ways where the moveable table goes up and down, make sure it is
not rusted up, and in good shape.

Move the infeed table all of the way up to the same height as the outfeed.
Get the straightest straight-edge you can find and make sure it touches on
the whole length of both tables. If it does not, walk away. It is not
worth trying to fix that, and if you do not, it is un-useable.

If one or both of the tables are warped I would agree. However, if
they are both flat but just need to be properly aligned that is
certainly not a show stopper. It just takes a little work and some
Patience.

Here are some adjustment videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caxVqv3FyU

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ame=tool-setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7peFNT2vS0

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gordon Shumway" wrote

If one or both of the tables are warped I would agree. However, if
they are both flat but just need to be properly aligned that is
certainly not a show stopper. It just takes a little work and some
Patience.

Here are some adjustment videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caxVqv3FyU

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ame=tool-setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7peFNT2vS0

Many of the Craftsman jointers do not have adjustments anything like the
video, and are extreemly fussy. I stand by my stay away statement.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-06-23, Gramps' shop wrote:

PS: Yes, CL is a daily entertainment venue when one considers the
various permutations of tool names.

Some of the prices are pretty amusing as well. Here's a set of 6
spade bits for which the poster is asking $17:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...521914939.html

They're the Menards 'Tool Shop' house brand, and that _exact_ set
sells brand new at Menards for $6.98:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...06-c-10079.htm

I suppose if you desperately want some Menards-brand spade bits and
don't have a car or bike and are within walking distance of the
seller's house, the $17 is probably cheaper than taking a taxi to
Menards and buying them for $7. But, that's sort of niche market.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
at No thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

depends. motor, belt and blade sharpening to just use them.

Else complete disassemble, sand blast, wire brush and / or place in a
spouge tank, lube. prime, paint, motor, belts, new blades, then use.

I have a '48 / 49 4" homecraft jointer. I am not a professional
anything when it comes to wood working, but this little 4" does what I
need, when I need it.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot...l.aspx?id=7857

Mike in Ohio

On 6/23/2014 3:08 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/23/2014 2:08 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
While glancing through the local craigs list I somewhat regularly see
old jointers for sale (sans motor and stand) for $50 or so:

The little Delta Homecraft aren't a bad light-duty machine; I'd stay
away from all of those Craftsman w/ the solid beds--besides being
virtually impossible to align, their fences are flimsy at best.

On the last, I've never seen a _5_" jointer...