Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How hard are jointer/planer knives?

I have an Inca 410 jointer/planer and I would like an extra set of
knives. They are no longer made, and are a strange size (8-5/8" by 1"
by 3/32" thick). I haven't been able to find anything compatible,
either.

McMaster sells D2 tool steel that is 3/32" thick by 1" wide by 18" long
for about $28. They say it is "Wear-Resistant Air-Hardened D2 Tool
Steel." Hardness is specified as "B89-B102" with a maximum attainable
hardness of C62-C65. I have found a local sharpening shop that will
cut it into two knives and sharpen them for less than $20.

My question is whether the initial B89-B102 hardness is enough, or if
they would require additional hardening. If B89-B102 is enough, then
$50 doesn't seem too bad for a custom set of knives. But if additional
hardening is required, I imagine that would be expensive and extra
complicated.

McMaster also have a 4140/4142 steel that they say is hardened to
C28-C32. However, I have seen D2 mentioned for planer knives but never
4140/4142, so I don't know if this 4140 steel is appropriate?

Any opinons?

Thanks,
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

D2 is a tool steel. 4140/4142 is a different beast entirely.
I would use D2 and I would get it hardened to C61-C65.
That would ensure maximum life for the knives.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have any idea where I can get this stock hardened? Is this something I
can find a local outfit to do, and would it be very expensive?

Thanks,
Phil

Jim wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

If you look hard enough, you might find a small machine shop that will
harden for you. Good luck. The place that does ours has a minimum charge of
$300.00. We do small stuff in house but send out larger quantities.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have any idea where I can get this stock hardened? Is this something I
can find a local outfit to do, and would it be very expensive?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc

wrote:
I have an Inca 410 jointer/planer and I would like an extra set of
knives. They are no longer made, and are a strange size (8-5/8" by 1"
by 3/32" thick). I haven't been able to find anything compatible,
either.

Any opinons?

Thanks,
Phil

Try Global Tooling @
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/index.html.
Their web site says that they will cut to size. The prices are pretty
good at least for standard sizes ( I got a set of 15" carbide tipped
knives for $174.00) and I had no troubles with my order.
BC
PS The usual disclaimers, don't work for them, don't get any kickback
from them etc., etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jody

bc wrote:

Try Global Tooling @ http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/index.html.
Their web site says that they will cut to size. The prices are pretty
good at least for standard sizes ( I got a set of 15" carbide tipped
knives for $174.00) and I had no troubles with my order.
BC
PS The usual disclaimers, don't work for them, don't get any kickback
from them etc., etc.

I get all my knives from global. Very easy people to work with. They
stock 3/23 knives but not in the size you need. They can cut a balanced
set any length you need.