Posted to rec.woodworking

Default King Seely

I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came
back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks
in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or
maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut
plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

--
pentapus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Drag it in and set it up. It has to be better than a stick in the eye!

"pentapus" wrote in message
I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What
upgrades or maintenance?

Drag it in and set it up. It has to be better than a stick in the eye!
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/19/2014 3:48 PM, pentapus wrote:
I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came
back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks
in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or
maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut
plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

Unless you build a good-size outfeed table, you'll still be cutting
(full-sheet) ply w/ the handsaw, but they're a decent little saw...and
the price was right, for sure.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17827
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=10746

I had the jointer's 6" big brother as my first jointer some 45 yr
ago...other than being a little short on the tables and the outfeed
table being somewhat of a pain to adjust as it's mounted on four studs
instead of ways, it's a very solid little jointer. Certainly up to most
anything of the current import generation as to what it can do for the size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pentapus wrote in news:lnvibg$dnf$1
@news.albasani.net:

I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came
back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks
in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or
maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut
plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

Sounds like you bought yourself a project. I usually enjoy projects like
this, it's fun getting a tool going again especially when there's nothing
to lose.

Many of these projects start out with giving the tool an indepth
cleaning. A nylon brush and old toothbrush will come in handy, and some
sandpaper may be necessary. Metal bristle brushes are useful, but can
scratch surfaces.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/19/2014 3:48 PM, pentapus wrote:
I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came
back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks
in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or
maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut
plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

Back in the day - these were the go to tool for any trim carpenter. The
tools still do the same job.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

king abod . UK diy 0 October 15th 09 01:03 PM
It's good to be king SteveB[_2_] Home Repair 9 December 27th 07 04:25 AM
OT King of the Hill mm Home Repair 0 May 2nd 07 06:59 AM
King Vs Craftex [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 3rd 06 07:01 PM
Lam King 350CH [email protected] Woodturning 0 November 2nd 05 10:16 PM