Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It's good to be king

Yesterday, I finished caulking toe plates in preparation for painting in a
new addition. An amazing amount of air infiltration between toe plates and
slab. So, I figured I'd get out the Graco XR7 just to make sure it was
running. Not. SWMBO was in a very serious mode, as we have a couple of
friends coming to help us paint. Not good. SCHEDULES MUST BE MAINTAINED,
OR THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE.

Having all kinds of flashbacks on how to get it rebuilt over the holidays.
Then, just started taking it apart. Piston was frozen in there due to old
paint. I had cleaned it last time I used it, but apparently need to clean
it more. I'm going to do it with warm water this time.

It is a remarkably simple system, and pretty self explanatory once you start
digging in. I bet it would have cost $100 at a shop. I'm sure that I
should have replaced O rings and such, but I fired it up, and it seemed not
to have any leaks. I will send for a rebuild kit, replace the O rings, boil
out the paint in the recesses, and put it back together again.

Being handy with tools and mechanical things really comes in handy some
times.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 26, 7:22*am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear SWMBO didn't waterboard you. For your next cleanup, when
using latex paints, a sniff test may indicate that the paint has an
ammoniacal base. If so, adding a bit of household ammonia to your warm
cleaning solution will augment the cleaning action. I've heard (but
haven;t tried) Floetrol in the cleanup helps. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Will you marry me? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:51:51 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Having all kinds of flashbacks on how to get it rebuilt over the holidays.
Then, just started taking it apart. Piston was frozen in there due to old
paint. I had cleaned it last time I used it, but apparently need to clean
it more. I'm going to do it with warm water this time.

The instructions are somewhat clear. Long term storage- use the
lubricate suggested. It prevents sticking/freezing/stuck parts and
what you now have to go through.

The XR9 went stainless piston (?).

More than once have sprayers failed for lack of cleaning and storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 7:22 am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Will try the ammonia tomorrow if we have any. Sprayed the Kilz 2 today,
paint tomorrow. Floetrol would be spendy on cleaning out an airless. It is
one heck of a product to add to paint, though, for doors and places where
you want a smooooooth finish. Great stuff.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having all kinds of flashbacks on how to get it rebuilt over the
holidays.
Then, just started taking it apart. Piston was frozen in there due to
old
paint. I had cleaned it last time I used it, but apparently need to
clean
it more. I'm going to do it with warm water this time.

The instructions are somewhat clear. Long term storage- use the
lubricate suggested. It prevents sticking/freezing/stuck parts and
what you now have to go through.

The XR9 went stainless piston (?).

More than once have sprayers failed for lack of cleaning and storage.

Sorry. I use the brand name Graco spendy stuff. That's why I was surprised
to see how much gook was in there. The piston did look like SS. It is a
remarkably simple piece of machinery. We sprayed about 15 gallons of Kilz
today, and it looks great. Got the adjustment knob just right.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:21:33 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Just a small pump that throws gallons per minute on the wall. Take
care of her!

She will perform as requested...

I'm vague on the SS, but the XR9 did improve on the sprayer.

I get to borrow one in the Spring
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:21:33 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Airless have their places. There is so much overspray, you have to mask
everything and have exhaust fans. But when the only thing in there is
sheetrock and concrete, it's the time. You can do repaints, but you have to
cover everything and mask. Awesome to make popcorn ceilings look like new.
Awesome for block walls. Great in places, and too much work in others.
Like anything, selecting the right tool for the job has a lot to do with the
outcome.

When you do sheetrock, you have to have a couple of backrollers. People
with 1" nap rollers to even out what you put on. Today, we got it just
right, and there was very little sticking to the backrolls. If your
backrollers get full of paint, you're putting it on too thick. Tomorrow,
with the color coat, we may go a little heavier to avoid streaks.

When you do blockwall, just maintain a wet edge, and it comes out seamless.
For the color coat on the addition, they're going to approximate the stucco
color of the existing house. I'm not optomistic, but we'll see how close
they come. In the next year, we will build our own stucco walls, courtyard
walls, and when it's all done, we'll get some good stucco and masonry paint
and shoot the whole thing the same color.

It's like spraying with a garden hose.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:58:33 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

BTW!

The wall you saw on Decatur Blvd , Las Vegas (on your pics)

(..ever get an answer?)

I'm after that answer:} Foam vs Stucco stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

BTW
The wall you saw on Decatur Blvd , Las Vegas (on your pics)

(..ever get an answer?)

I'm after that answer:} Foam vs Stucco stuff.

I'm sure it was someone thoroughly familiar with stucco. May have even been
shotcrete.
Stucco isn't rocket science, but that scene was the nicest I have ever seen
anywhere.

Steve

OT King of the Hill mm Home Repair 0 May 2nd 07 06:59 AM
King Vs Craftex [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 3rd 06 07:01 PM
Lam King 350CH [email protected] Woodturning 0 November 2nd 05 10:16 PM
King Jointer habbi Woodworking 10 February 11th 05 06:39 PM
Laguna re-saw king Gene T Woodworking 3 July 6th 04 05:04 PM