Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default King Seely

On 6/19/2014 3:48 PM, pentapus wrote:
I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table
saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same
motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came
back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks
in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or
maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut
plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

Unless you build a good-size outfeed table, you'll still be cutting
(full-sheet) ply w/ the handsaw, but they're a decent little saw...and
the price was right, for sure.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17827
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=10746

I had the jointer's 6" big brother as my first jointer some 45 yr
ago...other than being a little short on the tables and the outfeed
table being somewhat of a pain to adjust as it's mounted on four studs
instead of ways, it's a very solid little jointer. Certainly up to most
anything of the current import generation as to what it can do for the size.