Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good Lord, Give Me Strength! (Moving the Shop)

On 6/7/2014 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Hang in there, Mike.

The correct prayer is

"Lord give me patience -
'cause if you give me strength I might kill somebody!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2014 2:15 PM, Richard wrote:
On 6/7/2014 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Hang in there, Mike.

The correct prayer is

"Lord give me patience -
'cause if you give me strength I might kill somebody!"

Moving is a time to evaluate your possessions. You make three piles,
this one goes to the new house, this one goes to good well, and the
third one goes to the curb for pickup by the garbage man.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2014 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Been there, done that, 42 months ago. I do not envy you! good luck!
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Company policy of one of my employers.

If you haven't used it in 2 years, THROW IT AWAY.

It was tough but it worked.

Lew

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2014 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Hang in there, Mike.

The correct prayer is

"Lord give me patience -
'cause if you give me strength I might kill somebody!"

Moving is a time to evaluate your possessions. You make three piles,
this one goes to the new house, this one goes to good well, and the
third one goes to the curb for pickup by the garbage man.

Yes, it's good to move every five to ten years. It cuts down on the
junk collection. I've moved three times in seven. The last time was
pretty easy, though I had picked up a lot of tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/14 2:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the entire
shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

I'm sure there is some kind rec. soul here who has a trailer and would
love to help you carry that reclining sofa/hide-a-bed from the upstairs
loft and pull that Unisaw out of the basement.
com'on people!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote:
On 6/7/14 2:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire shop.
Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

I'm sure there is some kind rec. soul here who has a trailer and would
love to help you carry that reclining sofa/hide-a-bed from the
upstairs loft and pull that Unisaw out of the basement.
com'on people!

Geeze - I would, but I think I'm busy that day...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Been there, done that, 42 months ago. I do not envy you! good luck!

I have been in the same shop and house for 26 years, much of that while
running a business building house, cabinets and teaching shop. Add to the
tools I collected myself, when we shut down my dad's shop about 10 years
ago, I got to his place and they were supposed to be out of the house that
afternoon. He had the house packed, but had not touched the shop, at all!
All we had time to do was DUMP stuff in totes, and put it onto the truck.
How many totes! Maybe 50?

Now since I became disabled, I finally have the time to go through my stuff
and organize, and his stuff, much of which has never seen light since they
were dumped.

The scope of the undertaking is like eating an elephant. Just one bite at a
time will get the job done. The quantity and quality of the stuff I have
now is also impressive.

Still setting up machinery, and adjusting. Still have a couple to do.
Going to need to tear out a wall and rewire the place and install a dust
collector.

Wow.

Just Wow.

It almost deserves a "you suck" g
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote

It almost deserves a "you suck" g

Or an, "I pity You!"
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote in news:ln1tp0$1686$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

I'm sure there is some kind rec. soul here who has a trailer and would
love to help you carry that reclining sofa/hide-a-bed from the upstairs
loft and pull that Unisaw out of the basement.
com'on people!

Sure, I'd love to help. However, my GPS can only do a round trip, so the
Unisaw has to stay at my place. *g*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
[...]

Ok - You Suck!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Ok - You Suck!

Thanks, Mike! I knew I could count on you for a "You Suck"

On another note, I bent the shaft on a Pro Tec (I think) bench-top drill
press, yesterday. Using a 5/8" countersink bit, and it grabbed and bent.
Crap. Now what. Disassemble and try to pound it out reasonably straight, I
guess. No money for my dream floor drill press.

I guess that about cancels my you suck.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Ok - You Suck!

Thanks, Mike! I knew I could count on you for a "You Suck"

On another note, I bent the shaft on a Pro Tec (I think) bench-top
drill press, yesterday. Using a 5/8" countersink bit, and it grabbed
and bent. Crap. Now what. Disassemble and try to pound it out
reasonably straight, I guess. No money for my dream floor drill
press.
I guess that about cancels my you suck.

Yuk. See what follows good deals?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 17:58:47 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Ok - You Suck!

Thanks, Mike! I knew I could count on you for a "You Suck"

On another note, I bent the shaft on a Pro Tec (I think) bench-top drill
press, yesterday. Using a 5/8" countersink bit, and it grabbed and bent.
Crap. Now what. Disassemble and try to pound it out reasonably straight, I
guess. No money for my dream floor drill press.

I guess that about cancels my you suck.

Yes, there certainly is a difference between "you suck!" and "that
sucks!". ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Yes, there certainly is a difference between "you suck!" and "that
sucks!". ;-)

Right. And it depends on who is doing the "saying."

When it grabbed, and sent the clamped down drill press vise out of position,
I proceeded to get it (what I thought was lined back up) and clamped back in
place then turned it back on to continue the work. It was then that I saw
it was wobbling like a drunken sailor.

Then was when "I" said it.

"You suck!"

I would not have believed it was possible to bend a drill press that easily.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:00:20 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

wrote

Yes, there certainly is a difference between "you suck!" and "that
sucks!". ;-)

Right. And it depends on who is doing the "saying."

When it grabbed, and sent the clamped down drill press vise out of position,
I proceeded to get it (what I thought was lined back up) and clamped back in
place then turned it back on to continue the work. It was then that I saw
it was wobbling like a drunken sailor.

Then was when "I" said it.

"You suck!"

I would not have believed it was possible to bend a drill press that easily.

I wouldn't either. That's amazing. ...and quite scary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/21/2014 9:28 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
And I thought packing it all up was the hard part.
Now I have to organize the new shop! Wow. Every time I try to do
something I have to find where the thing is I need to do the thing I
need to do to get to the thing I need.

That shouldn't take more than a year to find MOST of it...

One task at a time... I'll get there. phew....

On 6/7/14, 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as
well?

Pray for me! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/14, 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as
well?

Pray for me! :-)

Those are good problems to have Mike....
Enjoy your new digs.

Hope it's better than the last shop.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/14, 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as
well?

Pray for me! :-)

Those are good problems to have Mike....
Enjoy your new digs.

Hope it's better than the last shop.

Thanks, Jeff. You are correct. We are very blessed.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/14, 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving the
entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to move as
well?

Pray for me! :-)

Lit a couple of candles(citronella) for you!

Moved mine twice in three years ... still looking for stuff, and it
appears to be shrinking on a daily basis:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Did you gain any space?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/14, 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Moving the contents of our home seems easy compared to moving
the entire shop. Did I mention I have my whole drum studio to
move as well?

Pray for me! :-)

Lit a couple of candles(citronella) for you!

We definitely need those in this new yard. I'm thinking of hanging some
bat houses to help control these skeeters.

Moved mine twice in three years ... still looking for stuff, and it
appears to be shrinking on a daily basis:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Did you gain any space?

Yes and no. The garage is bigger, but I don't have a shed yet. PLUS, I
have to get a riding mower for this bigger yard. So for now, it's a
sardine can until I can solve the shed equation.

I'm thinking of just sinking some poles in the ground and getting some
roof trusses and calling it a day--- BAM, new garage.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

I'm thinking of just sinking some poles in the ground and getting some
roof trusses and calling it a day--- BAM, new garage.

Good idea. Most lumberyards have stock 24' trusses in stock that are
cheaper than you can buy the material to build them, by the way.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/14, 9:27 AM, Morgans wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

I'm thinking of just sinking some poles in the ground and getting
some roof trusses and calling it a day--- BAM, new garage.

Good idea. Most lumberyards have stock 24' trusses in stock that are
cheaper than you can buy the material to build them, by the way.

Every time I've order custom trusses, they were cheaper than the
material or as much.
Even when they're not, what they save you in time and effort makes them
a no-brainer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:27:38 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

I'm thinking of just sinking some poles in the ground and getting some
roof trusses and calling it a day--- BAM, new garage.

Good idea. Most lumberyards have stock 24' trusses in stock that are
cheaper than you can buy the material to build them, by the way.

I've seen very few lumber yards that stock trusses but they can get
them custom made in very short order. I built a garage almost 30
years ago and was surprised then that the trusses were cheaper than
the 2x4s they're made from.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

Every time I've order custom trusses, they were cheaper than the
material or as much.
Even when they're not, what they save you in time and effort makes them
a no-brainer.

The stock trusses are normally considerably cheaper than the same truss if
you were to order it. The truss companies build them when there is not
enough custom orders to keep everyone working, and take a loss on them.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I've seen very few lumber yards that stock trusses but they can get
them custom made in very short order. I built a garage almost 30
years ago and was surprised then that the trusses were cheaper than
the 2x4s they're made from.

Common in these parts. They are usually 24 feet wide at the outside of the
bearing, and about 5/12. Look to the mom and pop places rather than the big
box places. They may have been sitting and weathered but the immediate
availability may make them look attractive. Popular for pole sheds.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/14, 7:13 PM, Morgans wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

Every time I've order custom trusses, they were cheaper than the
material or as much. Even when they're not, what they save you in
time and effort makes them a no-brainer.

The stock trusses are normally considerably cheaper than the same
truss if you were to order it. The truss companies build them when
there is not enough custom orders to keep everyone working, and take
a loss on them.

There's a custom truss place 4.5 miles from my new place.
I used them before to make some custom cathedral trusses for a friend's
studio build. They were stupid cheap.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Want to give hibiscus a good start in central Fla Doc Home Ownership 0 May 23rd 10 10:36 PM
Advice on Shop vacs......and sawdust collector question. I need a shop vac badly and want to get a good one. [email protected] Home Repair 15 April 28th 10 03:26 PM
Okay...I give...when WILL my pine table top quit moving?? [email protected] Woodworking 8 August 10th 05 11:06 PM
moving shop mel Woodworking 19 February 4th 05 07:14 PM
Or not you decide. Good Gawd give it a rest Bay Area Dave Woodworking 2 May 6th 04 03:10 PM