mel

Default moving shop

The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

Mike W.

Please label a post like this as a 'gloat' in the future!

I hope you don't expect us to feel sorry for you? :-)

By the way.... you suck! Congratulations on the shop.

Mike W.

"mel" wrote in message
om...
The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes
the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

mac davis

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:42:48 GMT, "mel"
wrote:

The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

Please let me know what worked and what you'd do different next time,
when you're done..

I'm anticipating moving my shop in a year or so and am NOT looking
forward to packing/sorting/etc. in preparation....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mel

This will be the 3rd time I've set up my shop and the 2nd time to move. I
already have the layout down from the last 2 times. When it comes to
packing and moving one thing is very important....take you time to organize
when you pack and label label label the boxes/crates. SWMBO for some silly
reason always insists the house gets organized and unpacked before the shop
and there is always something that needs to be done. Being able to locate
and having quick access to needed tools is a must. Accept the fact that
what you thought you ought to go ahead and dispose of will more than likely
wind up being the first thing you'll need to repurchase. My main rule for
this move is-If I've moved it the last time and haven't needed it yet it's
gone.....tools excluded of course. Just talking about stuff....

wrote:

The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes

the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

Please let me know what worked and what you'd do different next time,
when you're done..

I'm anticipating moving my shop in a year or so and am NOT looking
forward to packing/sorting/etc. in preparation....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:01:55 GMT, "mel"
wrote:

This will be the 3rd time I've set up my shop and the 2nd time to move. I
already have the layout down from the last 2 times. When it comes to
packing and moving one thing is very important....take you time to organize
when you pack and label label label the boxes/crates. SWMBO for some silly
reason always insists the house gets organized and unpacked before the shop
and there is always something that needs to be done. Being able to locate
and having quick access to needed tools is a must. Accept the fact that
what you thought you ought to go ahead and dispose of will more than likely
wind up being the first thing you'll need to repurchase. My main rule for
this move is-If I've moved it the last time and haven't needed it yet it's
gone.....tools excluded of course. Just talking about stuff....

thanks, Mel.. please keep me posted..

I've moved several times over the years, but the 2 factors that are
different this time are that I have much more of a "shop" now, (as
opposed to a few power tools in the garage), and we'll be moving to
another country...
Not sure yet how hard replacement parts and things will be to get or
what they will/won't let me take into Mexico..

So far, all I know is that the guns will have to be sold before we go,
and everything "new" will be taxed..

Power, space, availability of lumber, etc. are going to be
interesting..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Lyndell Thompson

A piece of equipment, bobcat , tractor etc. with forks is a must if it has
to be done quickly. Pallets can be borrowed or sometimes had for the taking.
It really speeds things up. My uncle had to move his shop in a week. I have
a tractor w/ forks and we made it happen in 3 nights (long nights). Borrowed
a pallet jack from work so he could leisurely place the equipment where it
was necessary. I know all this can be costly if you don't have access to it.
Call a local excavating contractor on a rainy day and see if he has a set of
forks on some equipment. He might give you a deal to keep from sending an
operator home. The grocery store where you shop will probalbly loan you
pallets if you promise to bring them back. Boxes are a must. Router bits go
in the router bit box, sanding supplies go in the sanding supplies box etc.
Just my two cent's worth.
Good Luck Lyndell

wrote:

The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes

the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

Please let me know what worked and what you'd do different next time,
when you're done..

I'm anticipating moving my shop in a year or so and am NOT looking
forward to packing/sorting/etc. in preparation....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Renata

Well now, I am having the same sort of fun as you because I _may_ be
moving (the contract hasn't been finalized yet and I'm actually
thinking there's some chance I'll be unpacking right back to the same
place).

Problems I'm noting are there's lots of heavy stuff but you gotta make
the boxes carryable. The stuff doesn't fit nicely into boxes and it's
a chore to try to pack efficiently. Plus, I am trying to be organzied
and sort stuff by whether I'll need it in the very near future (like
getting the current house ready for sale, or the new place ready for
habitation), vs stuff that could be last in the unpacking scheme.
Takes a looong time.

I talked to a couple moving companies and mentioned a table saw (Delta
Unisaw). No problem, though I'm not sure that he realizes it weights
about 4-500#.

Renata

wrote:

The wife and I just bought a "new" to us house. Garage is 20x20. On the
property is a 14x20 storage shed which will finally allow me to totally
dedicate my shop to being a shop and not a storage facility. Now comes the
fun part of packing up my current shop.

B a r r y

Renata wrote:

I talked to a couple moving companies and mentioned a table saw (Delta
Unisaw). No problem, though I'm not sure that he realizes it weights
about 4-500#.

The last time I moved, I had (2) unrestored antique upright pianos, a
large safe, and several other extremely heavy items.

The movers didn't flinch!

Barry
mac davis

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:51:22 -0500, Renata
wrote:

[...]

No moving company on this move, unless the wife hits the lotto..
We'll be moving the shop 550 miles, with the last 150 in Mexico...
Mucho dineros!

So far, and it's a long range plan, I'm thinking of buying a used
trailer and making 3 or 4 trips, during 4 day weekends, as the house
gets more "shop ready" and I can be sure that the new shop area is
lockable and secure..

I'm thinking that any duplicate or seldom used things get moved
first... hell, we might even move furniture and clothes too, but the
shop has to take priority, right??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

So far, and it's a long range plan, I'm thinking of buying a=AD used
trailer and making 3 or 4 trips

This is a must, as you pretty much can not rent a truck from anybody
in the US who will let you cross the border with it. Couple of years
ago,
our neighbor at our cabin in Flagstaff AZ decided he had enough of high
country winters, and moved full time to Rocky Point.

Moved himself with a Ford Explorer and an open trailer. Rolled up
close
to 3500 miles by the time he was done, 6 or 7 round trips.

Jerry

B a r r y

mac davis wrote:

yep.. same problem with rental cars... can't cross borders..

Can't cross border, no "s".

I've taken rental cars and trucks in and out of Canada from the US. The
contracts I've had said "You will not take this vehicle into Mexico", as
opposed to "No border crossing". Mexico was specifically listed.

Barry
Duane Bozarth

mac davis wrote:
We had a problem a few years ago with renting a car to go to Nevada...
they said that we can't leave calif.... we said that the parking lot
for the place we're going is like 50 feet inside Nevada... no rental..

Out of curiousity, who was the rental agency? I've never had an issue
of a rental anywhere within the US or Canada...take it anywhere, just
not Mexico.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
mac davis wrote:
On 1 Feb 2005 13:33:25 -0800, wrote:

So far, and it's a long range plan, I'm thinking of buying a* used
trailer and making 3 or 4 trips

This is a must, as you pretty much can not rent a truck from anybody
in the US who will let you cross the border with it. Couple of years
ago,
our neighbor at our cabin in Flagstaff AZ decided he had enough of high
country winters, and moved full time to Rocky Point.

Moved himself with a Ford Explorer and an open trailer. Rolled up
close
to 3500 miles by the time he was done, 6 or 7 round trips.

Jerry

yep.. same problem with rental cars... can't cross borders..

Mexico is its own particular problem, because U.S. auto insurance is *NOT*
good in Mexico. You have to have insurance issued by a -Mexican- insurer.

Get in even a _minor_ fender-bender in MX, w/o Mexican insurance, and you're
in a whole *heap* of trouble. Car _impounded_ until all claims are settled,
The driver/owner may sit in *jail* till claims are settled, *AND* have some
substantial fines to face. *plus* the under-the-counter payoffs needed to
get the system to work, at all.

We had a problem a few years ago with renting a car to go to Nevada...
they said that we can't leave calif.... we said that the parking lot
for the place we're going is like 50 feet inside Nevada... no rental..

This depends _greatly_ on the particular rental agency. "National" chains
usually don't have any problem with crossing _state_ borders -- they have the
'presence' in the other states to deal with you *there*.

Local rental operations, on the other hand, simply aren't prepared to deal
with legal tangles in "another jurisdiction", so they restrict you to 'in
state' travel only.