Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small built-in cabinet project ... in progress.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Nothing fancy, challenging or out of the ordinary, just the photo link I
use to keep the client updated on the progress of their project.

The client wants things as "plain as can be ... no round overs, no
profiles, just broken edges and rectangles". No problem.

Good news is that so far the weather here has been such as to make
working in the shop an absolutely pleasant experience.

Enjoying it while I can ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
Nothing fancy, challenging or out of the ordinary

"Challenging" is relative, of course. I built something similar and
managed to find a challenge in it.

I'm curious about the lower cabinets. Why the gap in the top? I see that
there will be another piece on top that will cover it, but is it simply
a matter of saving wood? Weight?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 10:38 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 5/15/2014 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
Nothing fancy, challenging or out of the ordinary

"Challenging" is relative, of course. I built something similar and
managed to find a challenge in it.

I'm curious about the lower cabinets. Why the gap in the top? I see that
there will be another piece on top that will cover it, but is it simply
a matter of saving wood? Weight?

Wood and Weight savings is correct. You might be surprised how often
you have to buy another sheet of plywood in order to make the top solid.
When the top does not have to be solid, scrap pieces can often be
used. I very often will do the same and just as often redraw the top
pieces narrower in the drawing so that my optimization program, that
tells me how much material to buy, will suggest one less sheet of
material. Making a piece an inch narrower, when it does not matter can
often saver you $75~$120 in materials.

---
protection is active.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 5/15/2014 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
Nothing fancy, challenging or out of the ordinary

"Challenging" is relative, of course. I built something similar and
managed to find a challenge in it.

I'm curious about the lower cabinets. Why the gap in the top? I see that
there will be another piece on top that will cover it, but is it simply a
matter of saving wood? Weight?

---

The top strips in the two side cabinets, besides being structural, have two
functions:

Being the same as, and batch cut to dimension with the floor, they provide
support while keep the end panels parallel; and they are used to attach the
1 1/2" thick counter top (3/4" thick substrate plus 3/4" thick birch ply
top).

The Bench Seat cabinet was not deigned that way since it needed a
partition, and extra strength to hold two or three sitting adults.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

And that also.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 4:57 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Karl ...

How are you treating the plywood edges?

Background: The client does not want FF cabinets, and wants a "simple
Euro" frameless look.

"Simple" is an oxymoron here.

Frameless cabinetry is much less forgiving and more difficult to
accomplish in a "shop built", "built-in" installation than faceframe
cabinetry.

That is, unless you take the shortcut of actually building the cabinetry
onto the walls, a method to which I do not subscribe, for lasting work
in today's poorly built homes.

So, to answer your question: 3/4"T x 3/4"W birch hardwood "edge banding"
on visible horizontal edges; and 3/4"T x 1"W on vertical edges.

Normally I would just use glue-on the ubiquitous birch edge banding, but
you need to have some thickness available to scribe to non plumb/square
walls if you are forbidden to use trim to cover up and gaps.

(this extremely particular client forbids anything that looks like
"trim")

If you look you can see the 3/4" "edge banding" idea expressed in the
photos of each cabinet.

They also want any vertical end panels that are visible to be 1" wide,
and all the horizontal components (shelves, etc) to be 3/4" thick;
except for the counter tops and bench seat, which are spec'ed for 1 1/2"
thickness.

Since the way you usually get that 1" thick look with 3/4" material is
with FF's, a bit of trickery is involved.

Since the cabinet boxes and shelve must be attached to the walls on each
end of the run, I'm using 1 1/4" wide hardwood material to give me the
spec'ed 1" width on the outside stiles, which will be against the walls,
plus a little extra to allow scribing to the walls.

The outside "stiles"/end panels on the shelf unit must be a flush 1",
with NO overhang.

This is actually a good thing, because it lets me make the two outside
end panels out of 3/4" material, than "face" those two panels on the
outside with 1/4" material that can be applied after installation,
giving me the added ability to scribe that 1/4" T "face" panel to the
back wall to cover any gaps there.

That visible plywood edge of the combined panels will then be covered
with said 3/4" x 1" birch hardwood "edge banding".

(walls have been measured and are neither square nor plumb, there is
approx 3/8" variance in the distance between the side walls from top to
bottom - 114 3/4" to 114 3/8", and back wall is 1/4" out of plumb from
top to bottom)

More than you wanted to know, but one thing leads to another,
explanation.