Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Drill

Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 1:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Lew

The price should not scare you off. Aside from that the body appears to
be a knock off of the Makita drill. If you are holding it it should
feel comfortable assuming there are no sharp edges.

http://www.grainger.com/product/14G9...140513185331:s
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle grinders
for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes are available
for the angle grinders.

And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many things.
I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut metal.

Just an idea. It is cheap and it has done a good job for many people. I
have other brands, but I paid a lot more for them. I have purchased harbor
freight tools to give to relatives to keep them from using my tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 2:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Lew

You know if you have a coupon for the 4.5 angle grinder 9.99
you can get the 4" knotted wire wheel 4.99 and total cost would be less
than that drill. Also you will take off more rust quickly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/knotted...eel-60488.html

Do not get the 4.5 wire wheels, only the 4" with a 4.5 Inch angle
grinder. you want the guard in place, and with the 4.5 you won't fit it.
Trust me you don't want the wire wheel w/o a guard... it's a knuckle
remover.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Cannot imagine why it would not work well Lew. I use my 18v Ridgid or my
Dewalt corded and both of them work just fine in the very same application.
Just cannot imagine why the HF unit would not work just fine. No point in
spending any more money than necessary for such a simple task. Go for it...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle
grinders for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes
are available for the angle grinders.

I"m one of those people. I have three HF angle grinders - set up for
different uses. The cheapest one is one of the $9 units and it's outfitted
with a 3" wire cone. I have other wire brush attachments for it as well,
but it pretty much functions with the cone. Great control - much better
than the control from using a drill motor. It just works.

And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many
things. I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut
metal.

Yup.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Baxter wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:537268e3$0$22350
:

Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

For paint removal, I found that the Angle Grinder with a paint remover
wheel works best. http://tinyurl.com/krzlgbh looks similar to what I
used.

Echo that. I keep a stock of these in my paint locker.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

Mea Culpa.

It's actually a nylon brush like this.

http://tinyurl.com/mlf4t34

Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain
coated BBQ grill when it is cold.

Lew

I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle
grinders for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes
are available for the angle grinders.

And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many
things. I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut
metal.

Just an idea. It is cheap and it has done a good job for many
people. I have other brands, but I paid a lot more for them. I
have purchased harbor freight tools to give to relatives to keep
them from using my tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 2:07 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle
grinders for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes are
available for the angle grinders.

And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many
things. I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut metal.

Just an idea. It is cheap and it has done a good job for many people.
I have other brands, but I paid a lot more for them. I have purchased
harbor freight tools to give to relatives to keep them from using my tools.

Now there is where you screwed up. You should keep the Harbor Freight
tools to lend out. You don't want to give the tool away. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 4:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

Mea Culpa.

It's actually a nylon brush like this.

http://tinyurl.com/mlf4t34

Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain
coated BBQ grill when it is cold.

Lew

OK, this is no just a California warning thing.

Be VERY CAREFUL when doing that. Wear a mask, maybe a respirator while
doing so. Swingman can fill you in on the details after doing the same
with his grill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Lew

Personally I would prefer a Jacobs chuck for a wire wheel instead of a
keyless chuck.

--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.
 Then things get worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain
coated BBQ grill when it is cold.

My question is if you are going to clean the crud off while it is in place
on the grill, do you want to be cooking with pieces of nylon bristles
cooking off and out gassing after they break off the brush and fall down
into the grill to be heated up later, melted, caught fire, and cooked into
your food.

Really?

Does not sound like a good plan to me. Sick with wire brush, of brass or
stainless.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 5:02 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

Lew

Personally I would prefer a Jacobs chuck for a wire wheel instead of a
keyless chuck.

You know a couple of my drills had Jacobs keyless chucks. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:

My question is if you are going to clean the crud off while it is in
place on the grill, do you want to be cooking with pieces of nylon
bristles cooking off and out gassing after they break off the brush
and fall down into the grill to be heated up later, melted, caught
fire, and cooked into your food.

Good question, but won't be a problem.

Grate will be removed for cleaning and then returned.

The porcelain coating will get washed before returning to grill.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote Good question, but won't be a
problem.

Grate will be removed for cleaning and then returned.

The porcelain coating will get washed before returning to grill.

Good.

'I cringe at some of the things I see people do with chemicals and such.
Besides that, I'm pretty sure burning nylon is a known carcinogen in the
state of California! :-)
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:17:16 PM UTC-7, Lew Hodgett wrote:

[about a HF drill for cleaning]
It's actually a nylon brush like this.

Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain
coated BBQ grill when it is cold.

My first impression: a drill will overheat if you run it
for ten or twenty minutes (they work fine for drill/rest/drill/rest
applications). So, an air tool would be preferable (if you have
a compressor).

On a porcelain surface, use oven cleaner (lye) and get it hot.
Wash with a hose. Repeat.

For extra fun, chain down the grill and use a pressure washer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in
:

Good.

'I cringe at some of the things I see people do with chemicals and
such. Besides that, I'm pretty sure burning nylon is a known
carcinogen in the state of California! :-)

Sometimes I wonder if live cancer cells for research have the "may cause
cancer" warning stickers on them...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 4:28 PM, Leon wrote:

Be VERY CAREFUL when doing that. Wear a mask, maybe a respirator while
doing so. Swingman can fill you in on the details after doing the same
with his grill.

Mother of all lung infections, caused by bacteria in the dust from
cleaning out a BBQ pit. Damned near did me in, so be extra careful and
wear some type of breathing protection.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Mother of all lung infections, caused by bacteria in the dust from
cleaning out a BBQ pit. Damned near did me in, so be extra careful
and wear some type of breathing protection.

Thanks for the heads up.

This is a very small piece of what you did.

We are talking about cleaning two (2) grates that are about 10" x 20"
and
easily removed to clean.

The flame never comes in contact with the grate or the food.

Wearing protective breathing mask is just good practice whenever
abrasive cleaning is involved.

With the grates removed, it is very easy to just scoop or shovel out
any residue, which is now powdered, from the heat diffuser that
divides the burners from the cooking surface.

Thanks for the input.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

Mea Culpa.

It's actually a nylon brush like this.

http://tinyurl.com/mlf4t34

Want to clean the burned crud off a porcelain
coated BBQ grill when it is cold.

Lew - I believe those nylon wheels could work. To be fair - I've never put
them to that particular task, but I have used them. I think you are wise to
stay with nylon to protect your porcelain coatings, so what the hell - for
the price... why not go for it...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Need a drill motor to drive a 3" dia wire wheel brush for a
cleaning application.

Any comments on this drill?

http://tinyurl.com/l92xknn

How heavy duty is this wire brush job?

I have known a number of people who use the Harbor Freight angle grinders
for all kinds of cleaning tasks. A variety of wire brushes are available
for the angle grinders.

And the angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for many
things. I use mine for various jobs. You can even use it to cut metal.

Just an idea. It is cheap and it has done a good job for many people. I
have other brands, but I paid a lot more for them. I have purchased
harbor freight tools to give to relatives to keep them from using my
tools.

I was just thinking along the same lines. I've got four angle grinders
hanging on the wall. One of them is a Harbor Fright with a wire brush
mounted on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Update:

In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.

$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.

Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.

When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.

Thk's everybody.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Update:

In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.

$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.

Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.

When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.

Thk's everybody.

Give due consideration to the angle grinder Lew. When you put the nasty
wire wheels on them, they perform much better than the lighter weight wheels
commonly put on drill motors, and they are many times more manageable. I
have both and I never put wire wheels on my drill motors anymore. I just
use the angle grinder with the cup on it. I have 3 angle grinders set up
for different uses and at HF prices, that makes a lot of sense.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Give due consideration to the angle grinder Lew. When you put the
nasty wire wheels on them, they perform much better than the lighter
weight wheels commonly put on drill motors, and they are many times
more manageable. I have both and I never put wire wheels on my
drill motors anymore. I just use the angle grinder with the cup on
it. I have 3 angle grinders set up for different uses and at HF
prices, that makes a lot of sense.

I am VERY familar with the $9.99 special, right angle sander/grinder.

Took me less than 4 hours to totally destroy one when I was building
the boat.

24 grit, 4" discs play hell with the machinery, especially when you
are
sanding fiberglass.

If I truly needed a long term sander/grinder today, it would be a
Milwaukee.

Destroyed every other one I tried including Makita.

Only repairs ever made to one was to replace a switch and a couple
of sets of brushes.

Best $100 I ever spent for a tool.

Today, don't need that quality.

It's a matter of matching the brush to the application and
then matching the tool to the brush.

That starts with a nylon brush operating around 450 RPM.

As far as duty cycle is concerned, 15-20 minutes, twice a week is
about as heavy at it will get.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 8:11 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Update:

In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.

$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.

Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.

When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.

Thk's everybody.

Give due consideration to the angle grinder Lew. When you put the nasty
wire wheels on them, they perform much better than the lighter weight wheels
commonly put on drill motors, and they are many times more manageable. I
have both and I never put wire wheels on my drill motors anymore. I just
use the angle grinder with the cup on it. I have 3 angle grinders set up
for different uses and at HF prices, that makes a lot of sense.

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

If you remember we saw these a year or 2 ago. Might be better on the
porcelain for repeated cleanings. The nylon wire for the seasonal
cleaning, or big party cleanup. This for a pretty good cleaning with out
scratching the finish on the porcelain.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

If you remember we saw these a year or 2 ago. Might be better on the
porcelain for repeated cleanings. The nylon wire for the seasonal
cleaning, or big party cleanup. This for a pretty good cleaning with
out scratching the finish on the porcelain.

What??? No motorized tool? Jeff - how can you possibly do such a thing?
You gotta re-think this bud...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 9:53 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

If you remember we saw these a year or 2 ago. Might be better on the
porcelain for repeated cleanings. The nylon wire for the seasonal
cleaning, or big party cleanup. This for a pretty good cleaning with
out scratching the finish on the porcelain.

What??? No motorized tool? Jeff - how can you possibly do such a thing?
You gotta re-think this bud...

:-)... I guess I'm a neanderthal.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 10:03 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

Lew

How'd it work?
Too much effort? Not clean enough?

Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it.
Inquiring minds want to know.
:-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

"woodchucker" wrote:

How'd it work?
Too much effort? Not clean enough?

Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted pics, got no response thus review complete.

Works well on a welded round rod grill grate; however,
I'm using it on a cast iron, porcelain coated, grill grate.

Since it is a casting, draft angles come into play
which is why I'm going to investigate the nylon brush concept.

A triangular cross section is not a round cross section.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:53754cc4$0$50608
:

Update:

In my mailbox today was a flyer from HF.

$12.99 gets the 3/8" drill.

Also, for those interested, $9,99 gets the right angle sander/grinder.

When it cools down, it will be time for a trip to HF.

Thk's everybody.

Lew

I got a magazine with a 25% HF coupon. Might be worth looking around and
seeing if you can find one of those. (It was a Home Shop Machinist
magazine, issue before the current one. The current one has a free
multimeter coupon.)

Since my local store doesn't require the coupon to be clipped out, I've
used the 25% coupon multiple times. It's almost paid for the magazine
subscription. (I didn't subscribe for the coupons, just a nice bonus.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2014 11:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

"woodchucker" wrote:

How'd it work?
Too much effort? Not clean enough?

Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted pics, got no response thus review complete.

Works well on a welded round rod grill grate; however,
I'm using it on a cast iron, porcelain coated, grill grate.

Since it is a casting, draft angles come into play
which is why I'm going to investigate the nylon brush concept.

A triangular cross section is not a round cross section.

Lew

Hmmm. I have a weber with porcelain grates. There is a good draft angle
on mine I believe. It's pouring now, so I am not going to check.

I'll have to give it a try.

What kind of wood did you use?

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Hey Lew, for a regular cleaning how about trying this?
http://www.thegreatscrape.com/

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Built one and use it.

Posted pics at the time.

"woodchucker" wrote:

How'd it work?
Too much effort? Not clean enough?

Where's your review in retrospect...??? Not after you built it.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted pics, got no response thus review complete.

Works well on a welded round rod grill grate; however,
I'm using it on a cast iron, porcelain coated, grill grate.

Since it is a casting, draft angles come into play
which is why I'm going to investigate the nylon brush concept.

A triangular cross section is not a round cross section.

Lew

Hmmm. I have a weber with porcelain grates. There is a good draft angle
on mine I believe. It's pouring now, so I am not going to check.

I'll have to give it a try.

What kind of wood did you use?

mine are triangular as well. Are you saying they are not good for this?
Seems like they would be, you just have to get the piece burned all the way.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Hmmm. I have a weber with porcelain grates. There is a good draft
angle
on mine I believe. It's pouring now, so I am not going to check.

I'll have to give it a try.

What kind of wood did you use?

mine are triangular as well. Are you saying they are not good for
this?
Seems like they would be, you just have to get the piece burned all
the way.

Red oak.

The gates of hell will rust shut before the grate contour gets burned
into the wood.

Used a saber saw to remove most of the waste that would have burned,
then burned final surface to fit.

Lew