Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Last Day! harbor freight cordless drill

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the batteries
are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the drill
is junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great drill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the batteries
are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the drill
is junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great drill.

I tried the 9.6V version of the HF drill.
The drill seems ok, but the batteries are crap.
Not just weak, but REALLY weak, USELESS, CRAP.
Did I mention HORRIBLE!!!
YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 10:35 AM, Tony wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the batteries
are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the drill is
junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great drill.

Scrapping out new equipment for parts, even junk equipment, seems wrong
to me. I'd look at some of the secondary-market sources for replacement
cells in the size and voltage you need, to rebuild your packs. Can't
remember if MPJA.com still sells naked batteries or not. I'd be
surprised if the HF cells were of very high quality. Their tools are
designed for people who need them once or twice a year, and don't know
the difference.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 7:35 AM Tony spake thus:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the batteries
are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the drill
is junk, just the batteries.

You might try checking the Harbor Freight Reviews site:
http://hfreviews.com. Actual reviews from real people.

Didn't actually check to see if your drill is reviewed there, but
chances are it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the
batteries are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much
if the drill is junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great
drill.

Actually lemon juice and a copper nail would make a better battery than the
HF model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bottom center of the page lists additional batteries -- which are 1.2
amp hours. I got one of their 12 volt drills, years ago. Works fairly
well for turning small screws.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the
batteries
are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the
drill
is junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt
hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great
drill.

I tried the 9.6V version of the HF drill.
The drill seems ok, but the batteries are crap.
Not just weak, but REALLY weak, USELESS, CRAP.
Did I mention HORRIBLE!!!
YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Youd be better served to send the battery packs to Primecell for
rebuilding. My experience with HF batteries, they are very poor
quality.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt
hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great
drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 2:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the
batteries are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much
if the drill is junk, just the batteries.

At that price I'm thinking of buying two and using the batteries to
rebuild my old Milwaukee battery packs and junk the rest?

The Milwaukee is a 12 volt "Power Plus" with 2 amp hour / 24 watt hour
batteries. It's probably close to 15 years old and still a great
drill.

Actually lemon juice and a copper nail would make a better battery than the
HF model.

OK thanks, I'm off to Lows and WalllMart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
On 9/6/2010 1:32 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/6/2010 7:35 AM Tony spake thus:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...campaign=3510D

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the
batteries are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if
the drill is junk, just the batteries.

You might try checking the Harbor Freight Reviews site:
http://hfreviews.com. Actual reviews from real people.

Didn't actually check to see if your drill is reviewed there, but
chances are it is.

Thanks all. Right on that web page were the reviews that I didn't
notice before. Duh!! Seems they replaced a half decent drill with a
newer model that sucks. Not only that, but I think they put the old
reviews of the old style drill with the reviews for the newer style.
Not good business.

Still not too many complaints about the battery but now my planned
*activities* for the day have changed and I'm not sure I'll be able to
make it there before they close. It uses a cheap wall wort charger
that takes up to 7 hours and you have to unplug it or it will ruin the
batteries.... Not a problem since it would be going on my Milwaukee
automatic charger, but then again the cheap batteries probably won't
hold up to the fast charging from the Milwaukee charger. If I were
closer to the store I just try one, but it's almost an hour away. I
think I'll pass.

My father has one of the HF drills, with a burned out charger. I am keeping my
eyes open for a 19V wall wart.