Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand Drill

My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting unused on
the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life that will not
loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I could use today
and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the tool shed and
drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last.
The "Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting
unused on the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life
that will not loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I
could use today and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the
tool shed and drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

I love my Makitas. I bought the LCT300W kit, drill, impact driver,
flashlight. I didn't think I needed the flashlight, but it sure is
nice! They use Lithium Ion batteries, which do not have the
self-discharge issues of NiMH.

As long as they're NOT left on the charger, they'll last a month or
better on the shelf. (For some reason, batteries left on the charger
after they're done charging seem to discharge.) I've got a bit of a
collection of batteries since I started replacing the dieing originals
with new ones.

It's worth buying the drill and impact driver kits. They're usually
just a little more than only the drill or only the driver, and impact
drivers are a great way to drive screws.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/14, 3:01 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting unused on
the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life that will not
loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I could use today
and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the tool shed and
drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

Anything with lithium-ion and a smart charger.
I have a 2 Ridgids and 1 Bosch and none of them lose power on the shelf
for weeks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting
unused on the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life
that will not loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I
could use today and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the
tool shed and drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

I don't know about 6 months Keith, but my Ridgid has sat for many weeks -
maybe a couple of months, and been ready to go when I grabbed it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/2014 4:01 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting unused on
the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life that will not
loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I could use today
and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the tool shed and
drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

I would recommend the little hitachi combo pack from Lowes. About 120
for a small drill and impact driver. The LION batteries last a long
time. its light so it's not going to be a strong drill if you want
strong, you need a 1/2 chuck.
In that respect, any of the LION drills will suffice. The LION's have a
long shelf life, they don't lose their charge much.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
JAS JAS is offline

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Might look at this:
https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...ium_3rill.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

JAS wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Great if all your drill bits have a hex shank.

--
 GW Ross

 The key to flexibility is indecision.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/2014 3:01 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting unused on
the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life that will not
loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I could use today
and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the tool shed and
drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

As mentioned by others, Li-Ion batteries is what you want. IIRC all of
them have smart chargers as these type batteries are quite unique in the
way they are manufactured. Any way the brand that I am currently using
is Festool. They all have a 3 year warranty. Mine typically will hold
a charge for at least 4~6 months unused and fully charged. Probably
longer but that is the longest that I have let a battery sit idle.

Panasonic is another premium builder of drills and especially their
batteries.

Most bang for your buck would be Ridgid, it would be hard to beat their
warranty and could very well be the last drill you need to buy. That
said I always passed on them as they were, in the past, pretty heavy and
or unbalanced so that they felt heavy. I use my drills for longer
periods of time so feel is important to me. If you are not doing
marathon drilling the Ridgid might be your best choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/14, 11:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I can recommend the newer Ridgids if you're on a budget.
They are absolutely unbeatable for the price and lifetime warranty on
everything including batteries.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/29/2014 11:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

OH, and Makita! I was very happy with my Makita drill/Driver and my
Impact Driver. If I switched from Festool to another brand it would
probably be back to Makita.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 10:42 AM, Baxter wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in news:ljp0es$osa$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

My lot has expanded and now has a small tool shed with no electricity,
consequently my needs for drill has changed.

Currently I have a corded drill that does great as long as there is a
plug in. With the small tool shed, and repairs around the exterior of
the house, it seems that time for a battery powered drill has come.

I am looking for a about 3/8 drill, with a battery that will last. The
"Last" is important, as it would spend a lot of time sitting unused on
the shelf. I would like to get one with long battery life that will not
loose significant charge sitting on the shelf, That I could use today
and Six months later I could pick it up go out to the tool shed and
drill a couple of holes.

Can any one make a recommendation?

I like the Ryobi _lithium_ drill. Also available at HD
http://tinyurl.com/mb7muhl

I have three of the Ryobi "blue" (originally NiCad) drills**. This past
Christmas HD had a two-pack of the highest capacity Li-Ion batteries on
sale for $100. They are normally $100 each. Ryobi labels these as having
4x the "run-time" of their older NiCads.

I charged them when I bought them, back in late December. My free time
has been limited since then, and I have probably used the batteries less
than I might have normally, but they are still on that first charge.

This is not particularly an endorsement of Ryobi, although I've had good
luck with the drills, at least. But Li-Ion batteries do seem to hold a
charge for a long time.

**I have three of the drills because - back when NiCad was all there
was - there would occasionally be a promotional sale that made a drill
PLUS a battery the same price as the battery alone. Having said that,
having more than one cordless is sometimes a very handy thing; why
change bits when you can just grab another drill?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 11:18 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

protection is active.

I hope you picked up a lion charger. Nicad chargers do not properly
charge lions, but lion chargers generally can charge nicads.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 11:35 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I did. I bought it in a kit with a lower-capacity Li-Ion battery. That
one holds a charge for a long time too.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote

I did. I bought it in a kit with a lower-capacity Li-Ion battery. That one
holds a charge for a long time too.

I have used the Ryobi, and the extended capacity (4400mah I think) is
needed for much serious work. Good tools.

That said, the Cobalt (Lowes) batteries are cheaper at around 84 bucks for
the 4400. I bought a couple to tear apart and stick into B&D NiCad battery
cases to power my extensive set of firestorm tools. I love it. Works great
and saved me literally thousand dollars or more. And yes, I use the cobalt
lithium ion charger.
--
Jim in NC

---

Hand drill Geoff Pearson UK diy 7 May 16th 12 02:21 PM
Old hand-driven drill press Mark & Juanita Woodworking 0 July 30th 07 02:06 AM
Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill? The Ranger Home Repair 41 May 26th 07 04:12 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Need help in removing drill chuck from Sears Reversible Variable Speed Hand Drill Roger Hull Metalworking 10 January 22nd 05 10:48 AM