Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mathias's video today

I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor
on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor
on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

He's confusing static pressure (vacuum) with volume. It is not a
vacuum pump but a air mover.

--
 GW Ross

 Everybody has a right to be stupid,
 but some abuse the privilege.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp
motor on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

This guy is really cool. He's got way too much time on his hands, and he
has way too much patience, but he comes up with some really cool stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

What a cool project to work on.
Yes, he is quite a patient model builder....
I envy his carefulness......
I was wondering what it would be like to either cast in aluminum, or build
with sheet metal......
john

"woodchucker" wrote in message

I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor
on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2014 12:26 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp
motor on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

This guy is really cool. He's got way too much time on his hands, and he
has way too much patience, but he comes up with some really cool stuff.

He retired. He worked for Blackberry (RIM), was an engineer there.
Probably an original .... He realized the company was going the wrong
way, like so many who think they are on top and can't be touched.

Obviously Blackberry (RIM) thought the smart phone could not touch them.
They didn't cover the bases.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2014 10:47 AM, G. Ross wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor
on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

He's confusing static pressure (vacuum) with volume. It is not a vacuum
pump but a air mover.

Not sure I understand, he has a blower that is pushing a large
impeller... something that a 2hp motor would be required for. His is 2/3

Both his DC and this blower are on, and he is overcoming the more
powerful DC... which he should not be able to.

So it is more powerful.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2014 12:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:

He retired. He worked for Blackberry (RIM), was an engineer there.
Probably an original .... He realized the company was going the wrong
way, like so many who think they are on top and can't be touched.

Obviously Blackberry (RIM) thought the smart phone could not touch them.
They didn't cover the bases.

Still, I loved my Crackberry...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor
on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxF...em-uploademail

He's confusing static pressure (vacuum) with volume. It is not a vacuum
pump but a air mover.

Not sure I understand, he has a blower that is pushing a large
impeller... something that a 2hp motor would be required for. His is 2/3

Both his DC and this blower are on, and he is overcoming the more
powerful DC... which he should not be able to.

So it is more powerful.

His home made impeller is certainly more efficient that the 4 or 5 blade
one in the larger unit so it probably spins with less effort.

Having said that, the smaller unit simply relieved the pressure inside
the filter bag, naturally the bag would collapse. Had the smaller one
really out performed the big one I suspect that the bag would have
totally collapsed immediately rather than gradually float down.
Since the bag did not actually flatten the larger blower still out
performed the smaller one. And depending on the layer of dust in the
upper bag, the less the restriction, the more the smaller unit would
appear to be out performing the larger one.