Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd white spot in my maple.

Working on a top, too wide for the planer, hand planing it.
Saw a white spot.. Looked like tear out to the eye.
Kept working it, then took the scraper out.
Still there. Feels different, softer..
Sanded like crazy still there.

Photos don't pick up the white. I thought maybe it was glue, but it's
not... wiped it with mineral spririts... and it doesn't show up.

Very wierd, not a pitch pocket. Not a normal sight on maple...
Feels different though.. feels grabby, gummy....

Just blabbing out loud since there's no real ww discussion...
Moving on, I don't think I need to worry about it... but tis odd.

I might prep this with shellac wash just to avoid finish problems, as it
will be stained. Was planning on a gel.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in
:

Working on a top, too wide for the planer, hand planing it.
Saw a white spot.. Looked like tear out to the eye.
Kept working it, then took the scraper out.
Still there. Feels different, softer..
Sanded like crazy still there.

Photos don't pick up the white. I thought maybe it was glue, but it's
not... wiped it with mineral spririts... and it doesn't show up.

Very wierd, not a pitch pocket. Not a normal sight on maple...
Feels different though.. feels grabby, gummy....

Just blabbing out loud since there's no real ww discussion...
Moving on, I don't think I need to worry about it... but tis odd.

I might prep this with shellac wash just to avoid finish problems, as
it will be stained. Was planning on a gel.

Is it the same size on the other side? I wonder if it could be an
indication of a branch?

Maybe an indication of a past injury?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2014 4:51 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
woodchucker wrote in
:

[...]

There might be something on the other side a little bit away.. looks
different, but not white, lighter spot than surrounding.

I found another white spot that actually looks like white primer... but
isn't.
It does not have the grabby feeling. I don't know what these are. Could
be an injury.. I've never seen them b4.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/21/2014 3:15 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Working on a top, too wide for the planer, hand planing it.
Saw a white spot.. Looked like tear out to the eye.
Kept working it, then took the scraper out.
Still there. Feels different, softer..
Sanded like crazy still there.

Sounds like some fungal attack during/before drying, perhaps. The
softer than other is a klew...

Posted to rec.woodworking

A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2014 5:11 PM, Sonny wrote:
A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you.

Sonny

:-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/21/2014 5:11 PM, Sonny wrote:
A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you.

Sonny

:-)

Don't use your tongue Jeff - don't... Jeff... are you listening? Jeff?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2014 6:30 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/21/2014 5:11 PM, Sonny wrote:
A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you.

Sonny

:-)

Don't use your tongue Jeff - don't... Jeff... are you listening? Jeff?

Merry Christmas to you too Mike :-p

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 21, 2014 6:37:50 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/21/2014 6:30 PM, Mike Marlow wrote: woodchucker wrote: On 4/21/2014 5:11 PM, Sonny wrote: A (wood) freckle. Kiss it and it'll do good for you. Sonny :-) Don't use your tongue Jeff - don't.... Jeff... are you listening? Jeff? Merry Christmas to you too Mike :-p -- Jeff

When the kids get teased, about having freckles, we kiss them (the freckles) and they will go away. The practice, we tell them, is to relieve them of their "anomaly".

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Working on a top, too wide for the planer, hand planing it.
Saw a white spot.. Looked like tear out to the eye.
Kept working it, then took the scraper out.
Still there. Feels different, softer..
Sanded like crazy still there.

Photos don't pick up the white. I thought maybe it was glue, but
it's not... wiped it with mineral spririts... and it doesn't show
up.

Very wierd, not a pitch pocket. Not a normal sight on maple...
Feels different though.. feels grabby, gummy....

Just blabbing out loud since there's no real ww discussion...
Moving on, I don't think I need to worry about it... but tis odd.

I might prep this with shellac wash just to avoid finish problems,
as it will be stained. Was planning on a gel.

Let's see, make it a "feature".

Maybe a "Dutchman".

Flip the piece, Make the front the back. If you do this, seal the
surface
with shellac.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/22/2014 11:43 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

[...]

Can't flip it.
I left some very rough spots on the bottom. There was no need to
thickness down to remove them. I am spanning 60" with this, therefore
the thickness meant much to me, as well as the use of hardwood maple
over ply. Originally planned to use plastic laminate for this top, but
all calculations proved the span too much for ply. This is a pull out
table pics when I am done.

Having a problem buying the wood I want for the hutch/shelving. The wife
does not want me spending anything, and the ply I have is warped..
So... still contemplating what to do.

--
Jeff