Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Would like to borrow a bandsaw - Wichita KS area

I'm making a dresser and would like to borrow (or rent) use of a bandsaw to
resaw some 8" wide pine for drawer sides. I can't bring myself to turn 40%
of the wood into chips from my planer. I put an ad on Wichita KS
Craigslist. If you'd consider this please contact me thru the craigslist
ad. I have most other major power tools except a bandsaw.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/13/2014 10:03 PM, xxxx wrote:
I'm making a dresser and would like to borrow (or rent) use of a bandsaw to
resaw some 8" wide pine for drawer sides. I can't bring myself to turn 40%
of the wood into chips from my planer. I put an ad on Wichita KS
Craigslist. If you'd consider this please contact me thru the craigslist
ad. I have most other major power tools except a bandsaw.
Thanks.

Depending upon the size and power of your table saw, it can be possible
to make two passes on opposite edges with the blade at full height,
finish the cut with a hand saw, minor cleanup with a plane or sander.

The below is not that wide, but the process is the same, and I've
routinely done wider wide stock years back when I didn't have a band
saw. Once those two kerfs are cut, even wider stock resaws easily with
a better hand saw than the one pictured below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...4 18584043154

Scroll right...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/13/2014 10:03 PM, xxxx wrote:
I'm making a dresser and would like to borrow (or rent) use of a bandsaw to
resaw some 8" wide pine ...

If you don't get any response from an individual, give Holtzen Woodwork
on N Osage downtown a call. They're a relatively small architectural
millwork shop, family owned/operated that are very easy to deal with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2014 7:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I did that when resawing 1x6 Ipe, although I used a recip saw to finish
the cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 07:27:42 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Depending upon the size and power of your table saw, it can be possible
to make two passes on opposite edges with the blade at full height,
finish the cut with a hand saw, minor cleanup with a plane or sander

With emphasis on the power of your saw. I've had to do that a couple
of times. It's a pain, but it will work if you're careful enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

On 4/13/2014 10:03 PM, xxxx wrote:
I'm making a dresser and would like to borrow (or rent) use of a
bandsaw to resaw some 8" wide pine ...

If you don't get any response from an individual, give Holtzen
Woodwork on N Osage downtown a call. They're a relatively small
architectural millwork shop, family owned/operated that are very easy
to deal with.

--

Thanks! I'll keep them in mind. I've done resawing on the tablesaw before.
Not much fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/14/2014 10:25 AM, xxxx wrote:
wrote in :

If you don't get any response from an individual, give Holtzen
Woodwork on N Osage downtown a call. ...

Thanks! I'll keep them in mind. I've done resawing on the tablesaw before.
Not much fun.

No, agreed w/ just a 10" saw plus even w/ a narrow kerf blade there's a
fair amount of wasted. Doable and if only need a piece or two, ok, but
not preferred choice, agreed.

Holtzen ran the siding for the barn refurb for me some years ago when
nobody else wanted to bother with it. Needed 3-1/4" wide WWPA 106
profile that seems to be a non-item any longer as nobody has it stock
material under 5-3/8" any more. Need the 3" to match/piece in existing.

http://www.trilliumpacific.com/docs/wwpa_patterns.pdf

They also made me the bed mould for the trim around the outside roof
eaves that was missing...